Plate Amp for Wedgehorn.

High output and wide dispersion without feedback.
oldzuto

Plate Amp for Wedgehorn.

#1 Post by oldzuto » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:02 am

Anybody do a build of any of the Wedgehorns using a plate amp? If so what amp did you use and what do you think of the results?
Thanks,
Bob

Grant Bunter

Re: Plate Amp for Wedgehorn.

#2 Post by Grant Bunter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Welcome to the forum!
None of Bill's cabs are designed to accept a plate amp.
In order to fit one, you need to adapt the plans to include an extension housing of material that means the internal dimensions of the cab aren't altered.
The plans, as they are, are critical to performance.

In the particular case of the Wedgehorns, if you had some plans and could look at the sketchup file that comes with them, you would see there simply isn't room to fit anything else, and adding the housing to fit a plate amp changes the shape, so it would no longer work well as a wedge (in terms of positioning)...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Grant Bunter wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm
Not specifically, but most plate amps really are a plate, not an enclosed box, and when that's the case the volume they take up isn't problematic. You do have to find a way to mount them avoiding/moving braces. As for Wedgehorns, in most cases you can drive four or more of them with one regular amp, and the last thing I'd want on stage is not only a signal wire but also a power wire for each monitor.

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:05 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:18 pm
Grant Bunter wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:22 pm
Not specifically, but most plate amps really are a plate, not an enclosed box, and when that's the case the volume they take up isn't problematic. You do have to find a way to mount them avoiding/moving braces. As for Wedgehorns, in most cases you can drive four or more of them with one regular amp, and the last thing I'd want on stage is not only a signal wire but also a power wire for each monitor.
Several companies sell combination cables that are quite affordable and handy, and then the biggest disadvantage is gone and the advantage of not having to carry separate amps, racks, etc, is still present. Or, most stage setups i’m Around have a power string across the front anyway for guitar pedals, so you just use that.

I have both passive and actives in my various rigs and I will say that the active rigs go up faster and tear down faster, and require less pack space and have the same size or sometimes even smaller smaller cable trunks. That’s just the way it is.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Gsharp9

#5 Post by Gsharp9 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Brent, have you actually put plate amps in the wedge horn designs?

LelandCrooks

#6 Post by LelandCrooks » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 am

Old thread, but I'm just now catching up. Yes, many years ago in WH10, using a PE amp.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com