Mics for acapella barbershop?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
BrentEvans

Re: Mics for acapella barbershop?

#16 Post by BrentEvans »

bgavin wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:You won't be sorry.
I'm willing to use $20 mics for cattle herd shows.
I just cringe when I think of some clod knocking over one of my OM6.

Behringer's first and foremost reputation is for theft of intellectual property.
Reliability concerns come after that. Some boxes work better than others.. I'll take a chance here.

I might take a chance on repairing one of their DSP if I can steal a dead one for cheap.
It would be worth an evening or two doing board repairs, if I could get a reliable, and working unit.
I originally bought my XM8500s for a couple of extra channels at church, for when some large group sings (8 people) that's not quite large enough to put in the choir and group mic.

The next day I went back and bought 3 more to replace all the Sennheiser 815s (a baby 835). I like Audix stuff too, but these are the most transparent mics I've ever used. They're really close to a 58, without the mud. You'll be pleasantly suprised.

As far as big-time gigs, sure, there is better stuff out there, and it should be used. I don't think you could buy a better sounding vocal mic than this one for less than $150, though. My 815s, EV 257s, and AKGD880 are relegated to backup and instrument duty. Behringer may have a bad rep, but they either hit it or they don't (more often than not in recent years, it's been hits) and this is one of the better ones.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

SoundInMotionDJ

Re: Mics for acapella barbershop?

#17 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Ron K wrote:Were strict budget constraints a factor (OP didn't specify) then by all means choose the most financially appropriate for you.
I did not specify a budget...because I have not worked one out yet. I am still working with the group to establish a reasonable set of expectations, level of service, and price. The president of the local group putting on the event is a friend and co-worker from my day-job. This national event rotates among different host cities. So...there is some re-invention of the wheel each year. I have discussed with some of the past organizers the level of service that is expected/typical of these events...and it is quite a bit more than I was originally told. Everyone is still trying to nail down specifics.

Odds are, I will wind up renting most of what I do not have (but still need) for this event.
Ron K wrote:I could be wrong here but I'm thinkin the OP was looking for the ambient solution and it's associated costs!
+1

I am still very much in the mode of learning and asking questions. Once I understand what some of the trade-offs and compromises are, I can pick a direction and figure out a reasonable budget.

I do appreciate the discussion & advice so far.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48