Christmas 2021

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Christmas 2021

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Rich4349 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:52 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:06 pm But, my sense of taste is shot. Some coconut cream pie tasted like cardboard and my salad today for lunch tasty salty as heck....and there wasn't any salt on it.
That's so interesting you mention the disparity of some food being flavorless, and others seeming very salty. I salt most of my food, though not excessively. When I had covid in May, food had next to no flavor, textures grossed my out (totally not in character for me), yet a bowl of chicken soup from Subway was like pure brine to me. It was so strong I couldn't eat it. My friend who got it for me had the same soup, and said it was perfectly normal, and she dislikes salt. Crazy. (The only upside was that I lost 15 pounds in 10 days. lol)

As you heal and also afterward be prepared for possible parosmia - smelling things that aren't there. Most people who have that don't have it for very long, though a very few keep it for a long time. It's usually bad things people think they smell: vomit, garbage, poo, smoke, dirty ashtrays. I lucked out: my parosmia was freshly baking pizza crust. Not the whole pizza: just the crust. It really messed with my head, as about 20% of the time someone in the area DID have pizza. If it was a more obscure aroma it would have been easy to blow it off as a phantom, but see how long you can go without actually smelling pizza somewhere!
Going from no smell to parosmia is viewed as an indicator that your olfactory is trying to get itself up and running, sorting out normal smells from danger signaling ones that typically keep us alive / healthy.
I know that smell and taste are closely related, but while my taste was affected, I didn't feel like my sense of smell was. But, who knows? Haven't started smelling anything that wasn't there......at least not more than normal - I've got a pretty good sniffer. I can smell perfume across a room....and I hate it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."