Voice of the theatre

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Raphael

Voice of the theatre

#1 Post by Raphael »

Hello all,

I recently scored 4 Altec Lansing VOTT A7 speakers. Assuming they work 100% & I’m looking to build a live PA for electronic music, Can I incorporate these speakers into the build or do I part out and sell to fund the new build?

Thank you!
:feedback:

Seth

Re: Voice of the theatre

#2 Post by Seth »

As far as "the build" goes, are we still talking about the system requirements you outlined in your introduction thread?
I need a multipurpose setup.
90% pre recorded DJ music. Pop - EDM - Disco - House Music.
Indoor/outdoor
Small to large crowd size with the ultimate goal to provide sound to small/medium size festivals.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

tallevan

#3 Post by tallevan »

I recall carrying those things solo when I was 16 or so for my crappy bar band.
Over 40 years ago. I think they were old-fashioned even then.
I wouldn't consider using them in a live setup these days, though they have great retro charm.
Too bulky, and if the drivers are of the same vintage as the cabinet.. well, probably not exactly 3015LFs.

A band I play with now uses modern plastic full-range self powered dealies.
They weigh a good deal, but are compact, loud and sound OK in English pubs.
We coudn't get an A7 in the door even if we wanted to. Never mind our roadie's van.
Also, by modern standards A7s don't sound that good, and typically aren't that loud. YMMV.

Were I to furnish our kit from scratch, I'd build some of Bill's tops, subs and wedges out of spruce or poplar ply with neo drivers.
And have our neighbour (a draper) make some covers.
Light, cheap, compact and great-sounding.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They have value to collectors, so sell them. They're totally unsuitable for electronic music.

Raphael

#5 Post by Raphael »

Awesome!
Thank you, I truly appreciate the comments, I think the direction to sell and build is the best way to move forward.

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Raphael wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:23 am Awesome!
Thank you, I truly appreciate the comments, I think the direction to sell and build is the best way to move forward.
Absolutely....

We used to play a 2000 seat dance club in Corpus Christi with just two A7s and two horns. Of course the only thing in 'em was vocals.....using an old Peavey 900 powered mixer (that had it's own legs and big rotary volume knobs). But.....that was in 1977.

Sell 'em and get something appropriate for this century.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#7 Post by himhimself »

OMG, just looked these up on ebay! Unreal what some people will pay for stuff. I remember my sister having some Altec Lansing home speakers that were beautiful with slate tops. These A7 things look like they were made by someone in their garage out of bad plywood. Yikes. Sell them and you can build something that will look better and sound amazing instead.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:58 am OMG, just looked these up on ebay! Unreal what some people will pay for stuff. I remember my sister having some Altec Lansing home speakers that were beautiful with slate tops. These A7 things look like they were made by someone in their garage out of bad plywood. Yikes. Sell them and you can build something that will look better and sound amazing instead.
A whole lot of 'em were made in garages out of bad plywood. They were measured and copied all the time. But you'll notice that they are a horn-loaded design and were pretty damned good in their day for a speaker with a single driver.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."