plate amp troubleshooting

Anything not covered elsewhere.
himhimself

plate amp troubleshooting

#1 Post by himhimself »

I have a little JBL SUB145 powered subwoofer that recently just stopped working. Looking for some help in troubleshooting the problem, if possible.
Pulled the driver first and tested it - it's fine.
Pulled out the plate amp, hoping it might just be the fuse. Nope, mains fuse is fine.
Nothing looks obviously burned or bloated.
There is a sticker on the transformer (TRANSTEC TT0869906580-E) that says it has a built-it thermal fuse. Thought that might be it, but then checked the outputs (two red wires, one black) and found 24V on both red wires.
There is a power indicator LED downstream on the board that has the inputs that is lighting up. It lights up red only. It should turn green when running, via a signal when in Auto On mode. That's not happening.
Audio electronics are definitely not my forte. Any thoughts on where to look next?
thanks!
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

J_Dunavin

Re: plate amp troubleshooting

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

I had a plate amp that had the gain potentiometer go bad. Something to check....
One way I like to troubleshoot that sort of problem is to turn on the amp and inject a 1K tone and start measuring around to see where it stops. Or if there is an on board filter, inject a tone within the passband, like 50hz. (A schematic really helps at this point)
PLEASE BE CAREFULL AROUND THE MAINS VOLTAGE!
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba