Looking for electric bass cab: Ampeg SVT-210AV replacement

Anything not covered elsewhere.
SteveFromBerlin

Looking for electric bass cab: Ampeg SVT-210AV replacement

#1 Post by SteveFromBerlin »

Hey guys, Newbie here!

I was interested in building a bass cab for a long time and always hesitated because of the lack of good plans available. I have just found out about BFM and tried to do a little bit of homework.

Here’s my situation:

I currently use up to four Ampeg SVT-210AV. I do know they are medium duty cabs and far inferior compared to top of the line products:

LF Driver: 2 x 10" Eminence Speakers
RMS Power Handling: 200 Watts @ 8ohms
Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz
Nominal Impedance: 1 x 8 ohms (Mono)
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 13 x 24 x 11

The thing is, I really appreciate the low weight, the small form factor, the punch of a sealed construction and most of all - the slight lack of bottom end as well as top end, as I don’t like modern brittle electric bass sounds. Over here in Berlin, I often play small clubs where I have to stay up close to the wall, or worse, in a corner where things tend to get boomy. Most of the time I am standing approximately 20-30 inches away, that's why I like two cabs stacked on top of another.

The Ampegs are very light (26 lbs), have a minimal footprint (I mostly only use two vertically stacked) and they don’t get boomy - which I love!

:feedback:

Now what type of BFM would you recommend if I’d be looking for something similar?
  • light in weight (max 33 lbs? I’d rather use more than one of them)
  • small dimensions (rather tall than wide and deep)
  • maybe a tad more bass, but still very controlled lo end

As stated, I would like to put two (or more?) on top of each other to get closer to ear level. Also, tall and slim cabs fit better in the trunk of my car. I really don’t need stupid loud (again: I’d rather use more than one) but I guess everything BFM will have a better power handlich than my medium duty Ampegs.

Thanks in advance for your input and help, you guys seem to be a great community!

All the best from Germany!

Bruce Weldy

Re: Looking for electric bass cab: Ampeg SVT-210AV replacement

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

A pair of Jack 12s would probably be just fine for you.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Jack 10 Lites.

SteveFromBerlin

#4 Post by SteveFromBerlin »

Thanks for your input!

I have a few follow up questions:

1.) Why not the Simplexx 10? It seems to be smaller in comparison. Or maybe something like a tallboy. Does the Jack sound that much better for my needs?

2.) Would there be a big difference if I us the Jack 10 rotated by 90 degrees so it's taller than wider?

3.) I really love the following picture and would love to use tolex and front cloth. Will there be instructions on how to assemble the outer frame for the cloth or is it not difficult at all?

Thanks for your efforts! If anybody has built some nice Jacks or has any experience playing electric bass through them, please feel free to post here. Cheers!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Simplexx is aimed at first time builders. Jacks are much better. You may rotate the Jack 90 degrees if you don't run tweeters. My personal cabs are Jack Lite.