¼" TS Female Jack recommendations?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Seth

¼" TS Female Jack recommendations?

#1 Post by Seth »

I ordered a couple Neutrik ¼" TS Jacks, model NMJ2HF-S. In the photo they appeared to be sealed units. However, in person, they are very much NOT sealed units.

Now I'm looking at the Neutrik Rean NYS2202 1/4" Mono Jack Thick Panel. But, haven't pulled the trigger yet. Figured it would be smart to ask you guys what you've used and recommend.

So, what ¼" jacks do you guys use and recommend for speaker inputs?

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

jimbo7

Re: ¼" TS Female Jack recommendations?

#2 Post by jimbo7 »

They make a version of the first one that enclosed. I can't find it on P.E. but I got one in my hand right now. The top arched-part is covered and it comes to a blunt point in the back.

What about these?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

himhimself

#3 Post by himhimself »

Best bet, use speakons and make up some pigtails if you really need to run a 1/4" plug to the cab. Having speakons gives me comfort that someone doesn't plug something goofy into a speaker on accident.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Strange Kevin

#4 Post by Strange Kevin »

I believe there is also an option for a Combo Speakon-1/4 jack.
- best of both worlds.

Yeah, here a link.

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-n ... 09EALw_wcB
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

I appreciate the input so far guys. Still weighing all options.

Here's what I'm trying to do.
Screenshot (57).png
Just a little jumper from one cab to the other when they're stacked.

The combo SpeakOn/¼" jacks are out of the picture, won't work for what I plan. It's a 2 pole plug, and the signal I want on it will be from connections 3&4 from a 4 pole plug. And, from the description, a 4 pole plug will fit in it. On a system wired with subs on the first pair, it could cause trouble if anything other than a jumper got plugged in there. So, that option is out unless I fill in the outer ring with resin and effectively disable the SpeakOn option, making it a ¼" plug only... which is an option and would be fine with me.

Just using standard 4 pole SpeakOn's is an option. It does keep continuity in the wiring scheme and wouldn't be too much trouble to create a jumper solution if I misplaced the actual jumper made for the purpose. I'd want to have 90º ends on the jumper and might have to add extra slack in the wire to allow the connector room to turn when inserting and removing it. Obviously, would have the top of the jack toward the outside of the cab.

I'll have to let some of those options roll around in my mind a bit. I'm still leaning toward the ¼" plug option and interested in at least identifying a workable jack for the purpose. So, please keep the recommendations coming guys.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

There's a reason that 1/4" jacks have gone the way of the dodo when it comes to Pro sound....the speakons just are so much better. Can't easily pull one out like a 1/4" plug. All cables are standard through out the whole setup, etc.

I carry some Speakon to 1/4" adapters for emergencies.....typically a bass rig where the bass player forgot his speakon cable or brings a borrowed cab and didn't realize it was speakon.

If you just have to have 1/4", you could use a standard jack and build a little dog house around it on the inside of the cab with just the wire coming out....that's easy to seal.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#7 Post by himhimself »

A two-pole jack won't accept a 4-pole plug, but a four pole jack will accept a 2-pole plug. What about using binding posts that will take a banana plug? They seal nicely. I did that on the truck tuba I just built. I cut a rectangular hole in the cab, backed it with a piece of BB and drilled the two holes through that for the binding posts. This allowed it to be recessed so it doesn't get whacked. Then you'd just need a little jumper with a banana on each end.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Seth

#8 Post by Seth »

himhimself wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:59 pm A two-pole jack won't accept a 4-pole plug, but a four pole jack will accept a 2-pole plug.

And... "The speakON Combo mates with all 2- and 4-pole speakON cable connectors and 1/4" jack plugs utilizing 2 contacts" Neutrik NLJ2MD-V

What about using binding posts that will take a banana plug? They seal nicely. I did that on the truck tuba I just built. I cut a rectangular hole in the cab, backed it with a piece of BB and drilled the two holes through that for the binding posts. This allowed it to be recessed so it doesn't get whacked. Then you'd just need a little jumper with a banana on each end.
Ehhhhh, I think that'll be a little too "non pro" for what I'm intending. I'm really starting to lean more toward your initial recommendation of staying with 4 conductor SpeakOn's.

In my mind the ¼" plug option seemed clean, simple, and easy to use. But you're right... last thing I need is for some idiot to plug his guitar or headphones in there.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's