Plate amp sale today

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Plate amp sale today

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The Dayton Plate amp is on sale today at PE......it was down from 279 to 249 last week, and noticed today it's $199.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... h--300-798

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

Re: Plate amp sale today

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I ordered one......the price kinda' pushed me off dead center. Was either gonna' use it on a Simplexx 10 or an SLA Pro. Going with the SLA Pro. It will be used for acoustic gigs.....I'll marry it up with my T24 and let the amp drive 'em both. Kind'a like a Bose L1 on steroids....

Got it all ordered, then went to get the drivers.....Eminence has over 380 backorders waiting and only enough parts to build 250 of the Alpha 6. Oh well.....I can always build the boxes and wait on the drivers.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#3 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm Got it all ordered, then went to get the drivers.....Eminence has over 380 backorders waiting and only enough parts to build 250 of the Alpha 6. Oh well.....I can always build the boxes and wait on the drivers.
I wonder if the Beta 6 is an option. All the specs look fine, except the Vas is 3.51L compared to 5.8L for the Alpha.

Eminence Beta 6A Datasheet
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:09 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:34 pm Got it all ordered, then went to get the drivers.....Eminence has over 380 backorders waiting and only enough parts to build 250 of the Alpha 6. Oh well.....I can always build the boxes and wait on the drivers.
I wonder if the Beta 6 is an option. All the specs look fine, except the Vas is 3.51L compared to 5.8L for the Alpha.

Eminence Beta 6A Datasheet
That would probably be an option. A little more expensive and a little heavier......but, it really doesn't matter - Eminence is out of those too.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Bruce, I just remembered something about this amp that makes it a no-go for a sub and top deal... The high pass channel has a constant 1kHz "passive" filter that can not be turned off. You can high pass it higher in the DSP, but the 1kHz filter is always there. Looks like it's pretty much a mid and high amp, or 2 way full range.

I double checked, just to make sure... Page 12 in the manual, under "Notes" it says "The HIGH PASS output has a passive 1 kHz high pass filter. Even if you turn HPF off in this menu, the signal is filtered out below 1 kHz. The LOW PASS output can output full-range."

Not sure why they'd design it that way. Seems like a big mistake not having the option to run any signal you want from either output. :bull:

I'm hoping that's something you were already aware of. :fingers:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

No, I have to admit I didn't know that.....I didn't read every word of the manual, but I did look it over and make sure it had crossover options and EQ. I guess I'm screwed and this whole build is a waste of time and money.

Guess I can salvage the SLA and just run it off the high pass on my sub. Just means I'm back to carrying an amp and EQ - just what I was trying to stop doing by going powered.

Thanks for the catch - I'm going to do some research.....can't believe I missed that.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Yes, that filter rules it out for driving a separate sub/mains arrangement. However, it says it's passive, which means it could probably be bypassed internally. It's not an issue if you're using it for mains only, with the low frequency amp driving the woofers and the high frequency amp driving the tweeters.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:13 am Yes, that filter rules it out for driving a separate sub/mains arrangement. However, it says it's passive, which means it could probably be bypassed internally. It's not an issue if you're using it for mains only, with the low frequency amp driving the woofers and the high frequency amp driving the tweeters.
Before sending it back, I'm planning to see if I can get any info from Dayton on whether that is possible. I was thinking that maybe there is a software change that might fix it, but you are right - if it's passive, there may just be a filter in there. But, I'm sure it's on the circuit board and may be impossible to remove......

Frustrating....I went back and checked the PE page and it was gushing about how the crossover is fully adjustable....maybe they should have said it was "sorta" adjustable.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

To be fair they don't advertise it for sub/satellite usage. I bet that passive filter is a single capacitor, which could be by-passed if you could identify it. However, I doubt the crossover can be made lower than 1kHz.

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:53 am To be fair they don't advertise it for sub/satellite usage. I bet that passive filter is a single capacitor, which could be by-passed if you could identify it. However, I doubt the crossover can be made lower than 1kHz.
No question that they don't advertise it that way.....but, they also don't list the limitations while extolling the adjustable nature of the crossover. Oh well, shame on me for not reading closer. I did actually read through the manual before I bought it, but missed the Note section after the crossover info.

Guess I was a little blinded by what I wanted it to do vs. what it actually does. I usually catch this kind of stuff. Truth is, if they hadn't put it on sale - I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger and bought it.

Caveat Emptor.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210