Possible charts link issue in the SPL chart forum

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Seth

Re: Possible charts link issue in the SPL chart forum

#31 Post by Seth »

I changed the .com to .info and it loaded. So, guessing that's positive confirmation of the issue.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#32 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

It's a positive confirmation that it's your browser. It loads for me using Firefox, Edge, IE, even AOL Desktop Gold.

Seth

#33 Post by Seth »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:56 pm It's a positive confirmation that it's your browser. It loads for me using Firefox, Edge, IE, even AOL Desktop Gold.
I have zero issues with any other site.

If you don't want to change it, no sweat off my back. It's your professional storefront, website, and customer base. Represent yourself however suits you.

I only mention it for your benefit. 2 out of 3 people in the world use Chrome.
Last edited by Seth on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#34 Post by Seth »

I think I figured it out.

billfitzmaurice.com/images/cabs/cabs.jpg is coming up as an unsecure website
Screenshot (46).png
I searched the code given: NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID and came upon this website, which explains "There can be common name mismatch error occurs when the name of your SSL certificate does not match with the web address in the search/address bar."

Also; Why “NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID” Appears in Google Chrome
A common name mismatch error occurs when the domain the SSL certificate is installed on is not listed on the certificate (either as the common name, subject alternative name, or covered by a wildcard). It’s essentially like your site is wearing the wrong hat.

So, it looks like you're right, Bill, that it is a Chrome thing.

It then goes on to talk about SAN Certificates.

"Subject alternative name, or SAN certificates, refer to certificates that cover other domains in addition to the domain that is listed as the common name. For example:

Common name: yoursite.com
SAN 1: mail.yoursite.com
SAN 2: www.yoursite.org
SAN 3: mysite.com"

If I click "advanced options" on the unsecure warning page and allow it to load, then it loads on your Home page too.

Looks like it's not allowing it to load automatically because there's no security certificate that covers the .com address, or that the photo address doesn't match the page address and doesn't have a SAN Certificate to include it.

Seems the easy fix would be to just change the pic address to .info, instead of screwing around with SAN Certificates.

Anyway, I'm just going to allow it to load it even though it's "unsecure". Up to you how you want to go about it, or if you want to do anything at all about it for other people visiting your site that may not see what you intend for them to see.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#35 Post by Seth »

I know we're blaming the issue on Google. And really, don't change anything on my account. But, just an FYI, all the pictures in the subwoofer placement sticky have the .com address instead of the .info address... and therefore aren't loading on (my) Chrome. Hopefully my computer has a weird isolated anomaly and everyone else can see them fine. Chrome is up to date on my PC.

Anyway, I only mention it as an FYI.

Rules for Subwoofer placement and stacking

Also, there are 2 separate threads for the T24 in the SPL Charts section that should/could be combined... or not.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#36 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Interesting......I haven't looked at the sub-placement sticky in a long time. I've used Chrome for many, many years and it was always just fine, but like you - no pictures now...

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#37 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Complain to Google, Chrome is the culprit.

Seth

#38 Post by Seth »

Bill,

I'm not sure if you're getting the point I'm trying to convey. Bruce and I don't need to see the pictures. We've been looking at them for over 10 years. If other pages on the internet weren't loading the pics, I'd consider knocking on googles door.

My concern is 66% of people that are new to this site seeing what appear to be broken links in some of the high traffic threads that contain key fundamental information. Also, the pic on the Home page that doesn't load... That's potentially the first impression your site makes on someone. Although, I honestly never looked at it for years.

The fact that all browsers forward to the linked photos except for Chrome would be a great point if all those browsers held 66% of the market use and only 1/3 of people weren't seeing your site the way you intend. But, even at that, I'd take the time to change a handful of addresses if that's all it took to restore the integrity of the site for that last third of potential customers.

I've done some editing in Go Daddy in the past and I'm happy to volunteer some time to site maintenance. It's the least I can do in return for all that this valuable resource you've created has given me over the years.

Please shoot me a PM if there's any assistance you'll allow me the pleasure of providing.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Chris_Allen

#39 Post by Chris_Allen »

The problem exists because, as mentioned, the original cab images link is not secure (http://billfitzmaurice.com/images/cabs/cabs.jpg) and it doesn't like this on redirection. It should technically be 'https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/cabs/cabs.jpg'.

Chrome is employing Google's own rules on what is secure and what isn't. In this case, I imagine all the other browsers will follow in time.

The security issue in this case is if a portion of a website is replaced and redirected to another site, pretty bad if the link is for a username and password e.g. 'Click here to Login'. Due to the certificate of the site being registered to just billfitzmaurice.info, it is classed as an external connection.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10