Scaling way back! Lots of questions

Anything not covered elsewhere.
J_Dunavin

Scaling way back! Lots of questions

#1 Post by J_Dunavin »

My current set up consists of six DR200s and six T45s (four at 24” and two at 18”) sounds AAmazing, but i rarely use it all. Most of my gigs are less than 200, did a wedding reception last night and a pair of DRs and Tubas was sufficient.
I am going to be selling off most if not all the set up, though i really like the 18” T45s and may consider a pair of slim T39s or T48s in their place. I figure if i am dial it back to one pair of mains and a pair of subs, MAYBE going with a pair of titans would be beneficial as they would be a bit more sensitive and the ability to V plate would be nice. Suggestions?

The bulk of my questions are with the mains. I love my DRs and they don’t weigh much, but want to know if there is a smaller option. I rarely push my DRs and feel that with my crowd size i could scale that back as well. The newer Omni top 8 really peaked my interest. My DRs are loaded with Beta 8s and piezo arrays. I wonder how a pair of Omni top 8s would compare, loaded with Delta pros and compression drivers?
The Jack 10 lites and SLA pros also look interesting.
What do you guys think?
Pack space isn’t tooo much of an issue, i can still fit one T45 and two DRs in my Buick. Not quite sure if i could fit a slim T48, would need to do a mock up first.
OK off the reservation querstion.... Has anyone built a lite weight tuba or titan? Considering what it would take to shed some pounds. As long as the internal dimensions or horn path matches the plans, were good right?

I know i need to make a post in the for sale section, but i’m serious about selling the Tubas and DRs, If anyone is interested, please message me, if your close by i could set up a demo.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Seth

Re: Scaling way back! Lots of questions

#2 Post by Seth »

I personally have pack space AND weight as goals. I have all the drivers for 8 DR200's, but after building and listening to shorty SLA Pro's, I think that's the route I'll take in the future. I'm pretty sure full size SLA Pro's are capable of roughly the same output as DR200's, but will just require about twice the power. Power requirements and sensitivity was also high on my list, but have since solved my limited power supply issues, so I'm down to pack space and weight. Pack space being higher on the list. So, I'll probably still build my DR200's, but will be building a couple full size SLA Pro's to accompany the shorties I built for the gigs I do that have pack space as a premium requirement.

The SLAP's aren't necessarily light, but they aren't heavy either. And they're a super easy build, especially in comparison to DR's. Could throw some together in a weekend for sure.

Also, I had my mind made up to build T48's, but was swayed to build a T39 to go with the shorty SLAP's (didn't require the extension for band rehearsals and live gigs). In testing and listening to various limiting and high passing options, I like the sound of it (only built one 16" so far, 4 30"ers in the works) high passed at 45Hz on a 24dB slope. 48dB cuts out too much of the low end in some of the electronic music I like to listen to. I'd honestly consider the T39 as an option if you don't absolutely need the bottom notes to come through. On the 24dB slope, there isn't too much to miss. Unless you're looking for it... Which, I was/am.

If pack space is truly not a concern, go ahead and go with the T48.

I do recall a thread or two about someone building "light" subs. I recall Bill saying you can go with thinner ply, you just have to add additional (closer) bracing to make up for the lost rigidity of thinner ply to handle the throat pressures... Or, something to that effect.

How have ya been Joe?

-Seth-
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

J_Dunavin

#3 Post by J_Dunavin »

Hey man! I’m good, really busy with work ( DJ by night, aircraft, avionics tech by day). Been trying to spread the good word of Bill’s designs 😄
Thanks for your input, I only DJ and low end is pretty important. I did have four T24s which were high passed at 40hz in a group. Didn’t feel like I was missing much low end.
I dunno T45s for now, I’d like to audition some slim T48s.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

J_Dunavin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:27 pm OK off the reservation querstion.... Has anyone built a lite weight tuba or titan? Considering what it would take to shed some pounds. As long as the internal dimensions or horn path matches the plans, were good right?
Here is two threads that I found.... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17872&p=188942&hilit=foam#p188942

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13113&p=133961&hil ... am#p133961
TomS

Strange Kevin

#5 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hi J,

Great question.

Having used most of the speakers you have mentioned, I gotta say the SLA are probably your best bet. You may even get away with just a pair of Mini's! (2×6 SLA) - they make great monitors by the way!

Granted my Dr200s never really had handles, I much prefer carrying a pair of SLAs. And the form factor is pretty cool looking too!

Before the world ended, we would regularly use a pair of SLA to a room of around 200 people no problem.
The Venue I work for pretty strictly limits the DJs to Top 40 house remixes and our 24" T39 actually works pretty great! (Dual HL10)
Sure, one of our T48s would be "Better" but at 30" wide it's kinda overkill for our room and use case.

Omnitop 8 are absolutely fantastic for when you need more than SLA can handle but not quite a whole stack of DRs. Sized about like that too.
Loaded with Delta pro 8 drivers they are getting close to 75 lbs each... those big ceramic magnets ain't lite!

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play with T45s yet. (Hopefully soon :) ) it sounds like keeping a pair may be a decent way to go!

I try to keep my ramblings to a minimum.
Hopefully at least some of that makes sense and is useful to you.
:fruit:
Kevin.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

J_Dunavin

#6 Post by J_Dunavin »

Tom Smit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:34 pm
J_Dunavin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:27 pm OK off the reservation querstion.... Has anyone built a lite weight tuba or titan? Considering what it would take to shed some pounds. As long as the internal dimensions or horn path matches the plans, were good right?
Here is two threads that I found.... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17872&p=188942&hilit=foam#p188942

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13113&p=133961&hil ... am#p133961

So working in the aviation field I am pretty keen on composite lay up with foam and or honeycomb core material.
VERY intriguing, but I wonder about labor hours vs final product... that being said if we are trying to loose every oz possible...
Hum I might have to make up a few sq ft and weigh it, do some testing.

This is really great feedback guys! It’s not rambling Kevin, i really like to hear about the real world experiences.

Was going to add that I suppose some SLAs or even tho Omni top 8s might look better on stands too. Gotta keep those wedding guests happy 😉
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Seth

#7 Post by Seth »

J_Dunavin wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 am Was going to add that I suppose some SLAs or even tho Omni top 8s might look better on stands too. Gotta keep those wedding guests happy 😉
I'll be using mine on boats and white is kind of the standard boat color, so I considered doing mine in white to better blend in. I had the thought that white SLA's might also be a good selling point for wedding rentals too... if I ever went that route. Obviously wouldn't be ideal in all situations, but would certainly stand out if one wanted them to.

Suppose it's not really pertinent to the conversation though. Sorry... uncontrolled off topic thought share. :mrgreen:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

J_Dunavin

#8 Post by J_Dunavin »

Oh no I think it’s an talking point for sure. That last two gigs I have done have been a wedding reception and a business Christmas party. So looking the part is at least a consideration, though not my primary concern for this scale back / rebuild.
So the Otop 8, SLA, and Jack lite can all be stacked?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Strange Kevin

#9 Post by Strange Kevin »

I really want some White SLAs! :hyper:

Yup! All 3 can be stacked. Although not all at the same time! :D
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Seth

#10 Post by Seth »

Well then... If any of you weren't already aware, DuraTex is available in white. Spray or roller grade.

Parts Express White DuraTex

Not too many pro grade speakers out there available in white (I'm not aware of any). It could certainly give a guy an edge in the market if all the wedding planners in your area knew what you have to offer. I'd paint my stands white too... obviously. Even if I had skirts for them.

Subs too. Big white boxes are way "prettier" than big black boxes, no matter where you have them placed at a wedding. IMO anyway.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

J_Dunavin

#11 Post by J_Dunavin »

Oooo thanks for the tip on the white duratex!
Wonder how much it would show dirt?

I’ve been reading lots of reviews on the SLAs and they sure have lots of good things said about them. I did read one comment from Bill that mentioned the SLA may be similar in performance to one DR200 but needs all those drivers per cab to do so, where of course the DR only needs the single 8. Does cost become a factor here if we’re talking premium drivers? Perhaps driver cost is a side effect of the simplicity of the cabinet design? Wonder what the cost / labor / performance factor is between the DR200, SLA, Jack 10 lite and the Otop 8?
Guess Bill answers that on the main page with the build difficulty vs performance. Seems like the Otop 8 and SLA win in that arena.
What about audience coverage? My DRs have such amazing throw! You can really hear them far away, especially when stacked. I understand that whatever path I choose will not equal three DR200s per side, but something as close to one DR per side would be nice.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Rich4349

#12 Post by Rich4349 »

You could fabricate simple white cloth slipcovers, with speaker cloth over the drivers, or have them made.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

jimbo7

#13 Post by jimbo7 »

Rich4349 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 pm You could fabricate simple white cloth slipcovers, with speaker cloth over the drivers, or have them made.
I thought the same thing. But if your main gigs are weddings, I can see the need for white cabs. Really depends on bridezilla :?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Seth

#14 Post by Seth »

jimbo7 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:30 pm
Rich4349 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 pm You could fabricate simple white cloth slipcovers, with speaker cloth over the drivers, or have them made.
I thought the same thing. But if your main gigs are weddings, I can see the need for white cabs. Really depends on bridezilla :?
I had the same thought too. Except it occurred to me the other way around, black covers for white speakers. Was thinking Vinyl and heavy duty PVC coated screen material like this for the grills to have them be easy to clean and relatively weather resistant too, I can see it working well either way, the PVC screen is also available in white.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

J_Dunavin

#15 Post by J_Dunavin »

Uh oh, looks like I’ve been away for too long. The Delta pro 8s are discontinued 🙀
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba