Repurpose/Custom combo cab thing?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
TexasWade

Repurpose/Custom combo cab thing?

#1 Post by TexasWade »

Hey all, got maybe some dumb questions or ideas here, would like to get some feedback and hopefully figure out exactly what I want to do with this project I have in mind.

Currently, I have a pair of Genz-Benz Neox 212 cabs and a Mesa Subway D800 amp. I love the sound, but the whole system is really a lot of overkill for the jamming I generally do and I'd like to see about a custom thing to make transport a bit more convenient while still sounding great.

My basic rough idea here is to gut one of my 212 cabs and use the speakers etc to load a pair of 1x12 enclosures, one of which would be a combo enclosure where the head would be mounted. I'm guessing the combo cab would have the crossover and tweeter (with attenuator from my G-B cab). I'd also like to have the Speakon connector on the top of the speaker enclosure, behind the head so that there would be no connections extending beyond any face of the overall cabinet. Speakon and power cables would stow in the same general space as the head. The second cab would just be an extension with probably a 1/4" jack on the back for a jumper to the main cab, leaving my second amp speakon connector open to hook up my other 212 cab whenever I want to get crazy. Maybe that's a bad wiring scheme, I don't know!

Also, something I have wondered about for a long time is honeycomb panel construction for speaker enclosures. I work in the aerospace industry and may be able to get scrap nomex or aluminum honeycomb panels large enough to build a 1x12 cab, but I don't know if the material would be suitable. Has it been done, and with what result?

Bruce Weldy

Re: Repurpose/Custom combo cab thing?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

A Jack 10 or 12 could be built to handle the amp with some mods to add on the top portion to make it a combo. Also, the Simplexx line of cabs. The Jacks are more efficient.

Using your existing speakers would only be prudent if they have the proper T/S specs. You'll need to find that out before using them.

No matter what you build, you shouldn't mix speaker cabs with different designs.

Putting a Speakon in the top would be fine, but I'd also put a pair of speakons on the back for daisy-chaining. And forget the 1/4" jacks....they leak air unless you get sealed ones.

Where in Texas are you?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

TexasWade

#3 Post by TexasWade »

I'm up in Denton Bruce, thanks.

Good point about mixing cabs, I hadn't thought about that but I see your point. Also, I didn't know that about the leakage with the 1/4 jacks, but if I decide to never run the proposed 2X 112 rig with a 212 add-on, then the daisy chain capability becomes moot since the amp has two outputs. I think I can probably get the T/S specs for my drivers also. If I can't find them online, I may be able to get them directly from agedhorse on the Talkbass forums. If I remember correctly, he designed the cabs that I've got as well as the amp! Come to think of it, maybe I can hit him up with the same questions... Shoot, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy, let me see if he would be willing to help me get some design specs nailed down. Let's see where this goes...

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

A couple of Jack 12s with the 3012HOs in 'em would be a formidable rig.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

TexasWade

#5 Post by TexasWade »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:18 am A couple of Jack 12s with the 3012HOs in 'em would be a formidable rig.
I will look into that!

But will probably end up taking mr agedhorse's advice. It's just too simple and straightforward to ignore...
The simple answer is to duplicate the design of the cabinet, but make them exactly 1/2 the internal volume, and use exactly 1/2 of the existing porting (no change in depth) per 112 cabinet. This way you don't need to worry about TS parameters as the engineering is already done. The cabinets would then be equivalent in phase response to the original cabinets.
"equivalent in phase response" I assume means that my remaining 212 cabinet would also play nice with my pair of 112's?

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

TexasWade wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:04 pm
"equivalent in phase response" I assume means that my remaining 212 cabinet would also play nice with my pair of 112's?
Yep. As long as you get two more of the same drivers that are in your current 212 cab.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

TexasWade

#7 Post by TexasWade »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Yep. As long as you get two more of the same drivers that are in your current 212 cab.
Yes sir! I currently have a pair of those NEOX 212's and the plan was to cannibalize all the components from one of them to build my pair of 112's.

Bruce Weldy

#8 Post by Bruce Weldy »

TexasWade wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:33 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Yes sir! I currently have a pair of those NEOX 212's and the plan was to cannibalize all the components from one of them to build my pair of 112's.
So, just cut one of the cabs in half and add a bottom to each one.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Just looked a pic of that cab.....those speaker cutouts are probably too close to cut it in half.....guess ya' gotta build 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

TexasWade

#10 Post by TexasWade »

Yeah I don't have them in front of me at the moment, but I was thinking new build anyway. Possibly from honeycomb panel, which, from what info I've found so far seems to be a suitable material.

Also, I'm not completely satisfied with the existing handle and wheel placements on my G-B cabs. They roll when you tip them back onto the wheels, but with the handles on the top outside corners, they don't drive very well one-handed. And when you walk squarely behind the cab you have to take baby steps to keep from kicking it. It's really just as easy to pick it up and carry it half of the time. It's about 50 lbs, which isn't exactly a backbreaker but it is a bit unwieldy.

I think, especially since the drivers are neo, that the loaded 112 cabs will end up light enough to just put a single handle on the top center for convenient grab-n-go carrying. Then I'm out the door with the combo cab in one hand and bass in the other. Or go grab the extension cab if I plan on getting loud. And the other 212 cab if I REALLY feel the need to assert myself =D