Another Rack Panel build

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Another Rack Panel build

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Since the Forum is kinda' quiet right now, I'll post another rack panel build that I did a couple of weeks ago.

This one was for Mike Taylor's band.....he's the guy that works with me in my little sound company and the guy I built the Jack 15 for last year.

I've mixed his band off and on over the last few years and I've told 'em for about that long that I'd put a panel in their rack to alleviate all the crap and problems they have setting up ..... having to shine a flashlight in the back to get to the correct Aux outs, Main outs, Music input, and the router connection. They also had a couple of in-ear units in there, only one was getting used.

They finally decided to get the rack to me and get them set up properly. I was able to get the other two in-ear units to get them in there also.

The plan was to get 5 stereo mixes from the Auxes along with the ability to run up to 6 wedges should they not use in-ears.

So, 6 of the 12 outputs were wired direct to three of the in-ear transmitters for stereo. 2 outputs were parallel-wired to the 4th in-ear unit and the front panel and the other 4 were wired directly to the front panel. Mike gets his in-ears via hard-wire to a small mixer at his drum kit.

The idea we to keep their hands out of the back of the mixer - period! That meant making sure that everything came to the front. The other issue was that there wasn't room for everything in the rack, so the Furman Power supply went to the back. Or course, the danged power cable for the Furman would have to be stuck in the back - so, that wouldn't do. Mike found a blank panel that I installed on the back of the rack with an IEC power connection and three of the transmitters antenna via extender cables. I was worried that the signal wouldn't be good with the antenna inside the case. One transmitter had the antenna in front.

Anyway, here's the build.....

Gotta' lay it all out.... 6 auxes, Main L/R, RCAs for iPod, and the router connection for mixer control.

Oh, and that's a jig I built some time back for holding panels......well worth the time..
IMG_3016.JPG
After drilling 3/8" holes, I used this amazing tool......after using a step drill for years, I finally invested in a Greenlee punch a few years ago. Makes life much easier and less messy.
JMRD3032.JPG
And after using a crescent wrench to turn the bolt to cut the holes.....I finally got smart and bought a cheap socket to use with my impact wrench....takes about two seconds...
IMG_3020.JPG
.....and voila! A punched panel....
IMG_3021.JPG
Last edited by Bruce Weldy on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

Re: Another Rack Panel build

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Next up is to layout all of the connectors and drill one hole in the panel for each one. All the while using a steel rule as a straightedge up against them to keep 'em straight. This is the best way I found to keep 'em from looking all crooked. After getting one bolt and nut on each connector, I go back and drill and add the second one.
IMG_3030.JPG
Measured out the cable lengths and started building the cables. I used a short barreled TRS to keep 'em from sticking out as much as I could. Heat shrink on the ends for stability and better to grip with the end crimp. I chose these particular TRS (Rean by Neutrik) instead of the usual Neutriks that I use. The good ones are way more expensive and way too long for this application. Plus, these won't get abuse living in the back of the rack.
IMG_3031.JPG
After getting all the connectors locked in, it's time to solder.
IMG_3035.JPG
Then dress 'em up and get the panel installed.
IMG_3038.JPG
I used a lot of cable ties and hold downs to keep everything in place as the drawer had to go it the open space.
IMG_3040.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

So, one panel is in and it's time to work on the back panel...
IMG_3042.JPG
As I said, I wanted to keep hands out of the back, so I cut the hole for the IEC socket....these are a PITA, but with a drill, then a metal blade in the jigsaw, a little dremel work, and then some filing, it fit pretty snug.
IMG_3043.JPG
This old panel had been painted and it was looking pretty poor, so after I drilled the antenna holes, I sanded it and shot it with some fresh paint...
IMG_3044.JPG
Installed the IEC socket with some heat shrink to cover it all and then a wrap of electrical tape around the connector.
IMG_3049.JPG
Back panel finished....
IMG_3050.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Back finished with the power conditioner in the bottom, the panel on the top and no reason for anyone to put their hands in there ever again.
IMG_3051.JPG
Front view with the transmitters, drawer, mixer, and panel. BTW, drawer should always be above an panels so that the wires draping down won't get in the way of the drawer opening.
IMG_3052.JPG
Finished it up on Friday afternoon and took it to a morning setup for a benefit they were doing the next day. Everything worked fine. the router lives in the drawer and it's power comes from the power outlet in the front of the Furman on the back with the RJ45 connection in the front panel. The iPod stays in the drawer with the cable to connect to the front RCA jacks.

Everything worked great and they were really pleased with it. Next up is to get them all together, set everything up and dial in some really good stereo in-ear mixes so that they will actually use them.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Nice work as always Bruce!

Oh, and thanks for reminding me to get a punch tool. Is yours 15/16”?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:54 pm Nice work as always Bruce!

Oh, and thanks for reminding me to get a punch tool. Is yours 15/16”?
Yep - 15/16" is perfect for the D series connectors....xlr, speakon, you name it - Neutrik makes a connector to stick in there!

Those punches aren't cheap, but I wish I'd have bought one years ago. And getting a socket for it is worth it too. I went to Auto Zone to get a cheap socket. It's supposed to be 1", but these are cheap sockets (8 bucks) so it was a little sloppy. So, I went to the metric ones and tested until I found a good fit. 25mm did it. With that in my impact driver, it was one more of those "AHA!" moments. Because it takes just a little over 6 turns with a big crescent wrench......and that gets tiring when you do a bunch of punches.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Well done, again, Bruce. :clap:

BTW, what is the reference to a flower? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_wikipedia LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
TomS

Charles Jenkinson

#8 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Very nice work Bruce.

The reference to hunting around with a flashlight in the back of a case triggers me. Definitely the way to go, and the investment is independent of the frequency of set-ups.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Tom Smit wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:35 pm Well done, again, Bruce. :clap:

BTW, what is the reference to a flower? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_wikipedia LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!

I'm a spelling nazi and I missed that. I fixed it.....

Thanks for pointing it out....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:35 am Very nice work Bruce.

The reference to hunting around with a flashlight in the back of a case triggers me. Definitely the way to go, and the investment is independent of the frequency of set-ups.
No question....

When I took on a band several years ago, I only did about 2 gigs on their system before I demanded that they bring the trailer by my house so I could tear up their rack. I ended up taking out several feet of snake cable that was attached to nothing whatsoever. Lots of other cables that just added to the cable spaghetti. Once I could actually see anything in there, I found that with all their rooting around hooking up the driverack at each gig, they had reversed the polarity on one of the channels. So of course, I built a rack panel.

Nothing good comes from touching the back of any gear once it's installed and working properly.

About once a year, I drag my rack out and check all the connections, tighten the speaker leads and make sure everything looks good.

But, it doesn't do any good to go to all that work if you then wind up cables and throw 'em in the back of the rack with they can hang on other cables, knock connectors out, etc.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Seth

#11 Post by Seth »

Great read! Thanks Bruce! It has been a little dry around here lately.

That came out fantastic. Great job :thumbsup:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am Next up is to get them all together, set everything up and dial in some really good stereo in-ear mixes so that they will actually use them.
I'm still having trouble getting my Dad to put and keep them both in. Last show we did together, he tells me he's getting distortion in his IEM's (only one in). I solo his mix in my headphones and no issues in the mix end of it. Check and swap out all the connections in the cabling to his transmitter. Plugged my headphones into another receiver thinking maybe I was clipping the input on the transmitter... nope. So, finally, I took his loose unused IEM and gave it a listen. HOLEY HELL DAD!.. Louder than any earphone I've ever heard! The number one reason to always use both, the ability to reduce volume and ear damage. He swears by the IEM's and claims he's able to really nail the subtle nuances in softer songs while using them (it) and I tend to agree. His hearing is deteriorating as a natural function of age, I don't need to be part of speeding it along by adding tinnitus to the mix too. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe reset the gain structure so it's impossible for them to go too loud.

So, he and I have to have a get together to and work on his IEM mix too. I've been implementing all the tips and tricks I can find to make the experience good for him (stereo mixes, stereo crowd mics, etc) and the guys he's had play with him have used them happily and without complaint. One drummer (sings a little harmony) said he really appreciated being able to hear everyone so clearly. I think Dad just made up his mind early on and is being resistant to giving them a chance again. He always points out when a performer on TV pulls one out. It used to happen a lot. Not so much now-a-days though, which I pointed out in a recent debate.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear your stories that come up in getting the IEM mixes dialed in and any little things you're able to do to create a natural spacious sounding mix for the performers. I'm not a performer, so I have trouble knowing intuitively what they want in their mix and what is helpful and what isn't. All I've done is sprinkle in a little reverb to the artists taste and roughly pan instruments and vocals to mimic their position on stage. If two performers are on their left, I pan the two left, one more than the other. Also added in hard panned room/crowd mic's to help with spaciousness and "hearing the room". But really, I'm an amateur working with amateur's and our shows are so infrequent that there's been little time to really work with the guys and learn what works and what doesn't, for each individual and globally. I will say it again though, the guys that play with my Dad haven't had any criticisms. Must not be that bad... or maybe they're just that good.

Thanks again for the write up on the rack panels. I completely enjoyed the read and pics.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Radian

#12 Post by Radian »

Wow Bruce. That's a ton of work. Looks very sharp, and I bet it's a peach to operate from. Kudos. :clap:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am Great read! Thanks Bruce! It has been a little dry around here lately.

That came out fantastic. Great job :thumbsup:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:03 am Next up is to get them all together, set everything up and dial in some really good stereo in-ear mixes so that they will actually use them.
I'm still having trouble getting my Dad to put and keep them both in. Last show we did together, he tells me he's getting distortion in his IEM's (only one in). I solo his mix in my headphones and no issues in the mix end of it. Check and swap out all the connections in the cabling to his transmitter. Plugged my headphones into another receiver thinking maybe I was clipping the input on the transmitter... nope. So, finally, I took his loose unused IEM and gave it a listen. HOLEY HELL DAD!.. Louder than any earphone I've ever heard! The number one reason to always use both, the ability to reduce volume and ear damage. He swears by the IEM's and claims he's able to really nail the subtle nuances in softer songs while using them (it) and I tend to agree. His hearing is deteriorating as a natural function of age, I don't need to be part of speeding it along by adding tinnitus to the mix too. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe reset the gain structure so it's impossible for them to go too loud.

So, he and I have to have a get together to and work on his IEM mix too. I've been implementing all the tips and tricks I can find to make the experience good for him (stereo mixes, stereo crowd mics, etc) and the guys he's had play with him have used them happily and without complaint. One drummer (sings a little harmony) said he really appreciated being able to hear everyone so clearly. I think Dad just made up his mind early on and is being resistant to giving them a chance again. He always points out when a performer on TV pulls one out. It used to happen a lot. Not so much now-a-days though, which I pointed out in a recent debate.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear your stories that come up in getting the IEM mixes dialed in and any little things you're able to do to create a natural spacious sounding mix for the performers. I'm not a performer, so I have trouble knowing intuitively what they want in their mix and what is helpful and what isn't. All I've done is sprinkle in a little reverb to the artists taste and roughly pan instruments and vocals to mimic their position on stage. If two performers are on their left, I pan the two left, one more than the other. Also added in hard panned room/crowd mic's to help with spaciousness and "hearing the room". But really, I'm an amateur working with amateur's and our shows are so infrequent that there's been little time to really work with the guys and learn what works and what doesn't, for each individual and globally. I will say it again though, the guys that play with my Dad haven't had any criticisms. Must not be that bad... or maybe they're just that good.

Thanks again for the write up on the rack panels. I completely enjoyed the read and pics.
I work with some bands on in-ears and some wear both and some only one. You are right that wearing one is very dangerous. In order to get it loud enough to hear over the stage volume from the other ear - the levels can be stupid loud.

A lot of people feel they are too dry and sterile sounding. The plan with the band I'm working with is to put up two mics positioned at the front of the drum kit pointing toward the crowd. That serves a few purposes.....you get more ambient stage sound to mix into the ears than you would if you position them out front with the PA. They also serve as talkback mics to call a song, etc.

Panning (which you've done) is a good way to open things up. And of course some reverb. You could set a reverb strictly for use on the in-ears if you want and let each member dial up how much they want. Of course, they can't control how much reverb is on each channel, but put some on every channel just enough to give it some depth will help......as a side note on reverbs and delays - you MUST EQ them! I roll off everything below about 500hz and above 2khz or so. This keeps the revebs/delays in a tighter spectrum. Too much in the lows makes 'em muddy and too much in the highs is annoying. You should do this out front also. Makes them more subtle and gives you more control.

Most importantly - have your dad get the band together and work on the in-ears outside of the pressures of setting up for a show. Once you get 'em dialed in, they should rarely change. If you are on a digital board, you can let them have some control over the mix with their phones.

Good luck.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Radian wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:24 pm Wow Bruce. That's a ton of work. Looks very sharp, and I bet it's a peach to operate from. Kudos. :clap:
Is it weird to say that I find soldering relaxing? That one was a little over a hundred solder joints. I actually enjoy making rack panels - it's work, but really rewarding after it's all done.

I've built a bunch for bands that I've worked with over the years.....some small and some bigger - but it always has led to easier, cleaner setup and tear-down with less problems to troubleshoot.

Now, if I can get 'em to let me make their cables so they'll quit using that cheap crap they keep buying on eBay and Amazon.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210