Phase plug and throat divider question

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Art Coates

Phase plug and throat divider question

#1 Post by Art Coates »

I was wondering the theory behind "flat" "spherical" and "parabolic cone' phase plugs like in the Omni, Jack and commercial drivers. I know it's about phase and directivity in the midrange, but moreso what the tradeoffs are in each shape, such as would a parabolic cone nessisarily be an improvement over a flat disc.

Also, I have some ancient DR200 from the very original plans which have a square shaped throat and no filler discs. Not sure if it was by design or my error, but the throat divider is over an inch below the baffle plate. The drivers are mounted flush to the baffle plate with no mounting ring as in newer iterations. I am currently working on refurbishing them and wondering if there are any tweaks/improvements I can try while I have them apart. I've already added a spacer ring for the drivers. Thanks!
4 DR250
2 DR200
2 Omni 210
2 T24
2 T30
2 AutoTuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Phase plug and throat divider question

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The shapes of the various plugs are what tested with the best results when I prototyped them.

Art Coates

Re: Phase plug and throat divider question

#3 Post by Art Coates »

I seem to recall a thread with this info on the old forum. Never the less - I can compare the early plans versions...
4 DR250
2 DR200
2 Omni 210
2 T24
2 T30
2 AutoTuba