Upgrading AVR or so I thought

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

Upgrading AVR or so I thought

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

<t>I have had denon AVR’s for over 15 years. Started out with an AVR-1601 60 watts per channel. Then I upgraded to a AVR-991 125 watts per channel. Wanting more control over video and more outputs for TV and projector I decided to once again upgrade. This time to the AVR-X6500H 140 watts per channel. I received it in December and set it up and went thru the speaker calibration. Getting busy with Christmas and the new year I never had a chance to watch a movie and turn it up. One thing I did notice is that the volume does not come down to reference , instead it goes up from 0. <br/>
<br/>
My speaker setup is 2 9m-12tw TLAH for R-L and a 6m-12tw SLA for center duty. Sub duty is handled by a M&K 12” 150 watt powered Sub. <br/>
<br/>
So why am I posting this you may ask, Sunday night during the super bowl We had a few friends over and I decided to turn drop the hammer and see how loud it would get. That is when I discovered that it only goes to 80 for loudness. Compared to my AVR-991 I don’t think it was as loud. The loudest I had the 991 was 10 past reference. <br/>
<br/>
So my question is, by running the speaker calibration (I never ran it on the 991) would that lower the overall loudness? I plan to call denon and ask about the change in volume control, and why it is not as loud as my 991. But thought I would ask here To see if had anyone had in-site as to why denon has change up the volume control and thoughts as to why with 140 watts the 6500 seems to not be as loud. I know this was 1 test and I should probably listen to more shows before I pass judgement, but I know this forum has a vast knowledge base and you all will enlighten me. <br/>
<br/>
Thanks in advance,<br/>
<br/>
Oscar</t>

Seth

Re: Upgrading AVR or so I thought

#2 Post by Seth »

You need an AVR that goes to 11

...that extra push over the cliff
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks Seth, that is what I though I was getting. LOL I did go thru the manual and found on page 184 a scale setting and limit setting that I was able to change to -78 to +18 and turned off the limit. So problem should be solved. Now I need to convince the wife to build a LPTHT

Chris_Allen

#4 Post by Chris_Allen »

y2kindyz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 pm Now I need to convince the wife to build a LPTHT
If she doesn't agree, just get the tools and do it yourself. A wife who builds THTLP's is worth keeping. 😁
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Seth

#5 Post by Seth »

Chris_Allen wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:39 am
y2kindyz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 pm Now I need to convince the wife to build a LPTHT
If she doesn't agree, just get the tools and do it yourself. A wife who builds THTLP's is worth keeping. 😁
Too funny Chris. I thought the same thing. :thumbsup:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

y2kindyz wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:51 pmwhy with 140 watts the 6500 seems to not be as loud.
Two things. Gain structure is #1. #2, the difference between 125 and 140 watts is imperceptible. Three things, actually. Using a 150w direct radiating sub with TLAH and SLA is like bringing a knife to a gunfight, and the guns are 105mm howitzers.

ketoet

#7 Post by ketoet »

If the sub can't keep up, the calibration probably turned the rest down. Time to build the tactical nuke (tht) to go with the howitzers
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

y2kindyz

#8 Post by y2kindyz »

SethRocksYou wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:47 am
Chris_Allen wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:39 am
Too funny Chris. I thought the same thing. :thumbsup:
That is why I love this forum :noob: I am hoping I can convince my wife to allow ME to build a LPTHT and stand it up in the corner by the screen or make it into a bench.

Thanks Bill for the comment and analogy. I thought that the calibration took some wind out of the TLAH’s and SLA.

I included pic of living room. I still need build 9 speaker curved SLA to replace my first ever BF build. About 10 years ago.

Thanks for the comments.
Attachments
FE615639-8264-4A81-8BF6-1CF706FEFC42.jpeg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You might not need the nine driver SLA. I only use six myself. When things get cranking there's a lot more content in the L/R channels than in the center, so fewer drivers in the SLA generally isn't a problem. However, you need to get the L/R up on the walls, unless your listening position is lying on the floor.

y2kindyz

#10 Post by y2kindyz »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:51 am You might not need the nine driver SLA. I only use six myself. When things get cranking there's a lot more content in the L/R channels than in the center, so fewer drivers in the SLA generally isn't a problem. However, you need to get the L/R up on the walls, unless your listening position is lying on the floor.
Yes I am aware and the piano doesn’t help either. After the flood remodel I ran all wires in behind the Sheetrock. I put had the wires coming out at at about 5 ft or so they would be Hiden behind the screen and planned on placing the speakers taper down even with the bottom of the screen with a slight toe in towards the listening position. But the wife about flipped when I told her the speakers would be up on the wall. :wall: Could not get her to see the forest for the trees. Needless to say I am working on it. As you can see I was able to finally get the center SLA mounted under the screen. Now I need to run wire behind the wall and show her clean install. Then I think she will warm up to the idea of mounting the TLAH’s on the wall.

Good to know about not needing 9 speaker center.(although you know I want). I wanted to do the curved SLA and was afraid she would freak with the size. I May do a 6 speaker curved SLA, but after the TLAH’s are mounted on the wall.

Many thanks

ketoet

#11 Post by ketoet »

My wife was grumpy to when i told her there would be 9driver tlah's on the wall and a total of 9 speakers in the living room. Once installed she never complained again. She's even asking for more speakers in the kitchen 😂
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah

y2kindyz

#12 Post by y2kindyz »

ketoet wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:09 pm My wife was grumpy to when i told her there would be 9driver tlah's on the wall and a total of 9 speakers in the living room. Once installed she never complained again. She's even asking for more speakers in the kitchen 😂
I wish I could send her on vacation and just get r done. Better to ask for forgiveness :noob: