What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Seth

Re: What's to chat about?

#841 Post by Seth »

Been a tad slow around here the past week. I've read through all the review threads, all the way back to 2006. Some good reads in there. But, I'm still craving some sound conversation. Anything you guys wanna discuss? EQ, crossovers, past/recent/future gigs, lighting, microphones, mixers... anything on your mind?
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

RYNO20

#842 Post by RYNO20 »

Seth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:39 pm Been a tad slow around here the past week. I've read through all the review threads, all the way back to 2006. Some good reads in there. But, I'm still craving some sound conversation. Anything you guys wanna discuss? EQ, crossovers, past/recent/future gigs, lighting, microphones, mixers... anything on your mind?
Not much here except I put Big T in the corner finally, big difference is my steel walls are shaking lol
C22A9467-32C2-48DA-8844-227B18E897B7.jpeg

Seth

#843 Post by Seth »

RYNO20 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:51 pm
Seth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:39 pm Been a tad slow around here the past week. I've read through all the review threads, all the way back to 2006. Some good reads in there. But, I'm still craving some sound conversation. Anything you guys wanna discuss? EQ, crossovers, past/recent/future gigs, lighting, microphones, mixers... anything on your mind?
Not much here except I put Big T in the corner finally, big difference is my steel walls are shaking lolC22A9467-32C2-48DA-8844-227B18E897B7.jpeg
Hey Ryno, glad to have you join in :thumbsup: I was wondering if the previous place you had it, right next to the doorway there, would possibly pick up any cancellations from the wall in the room behind it. Other than the shaking walls, have you noticed any change in the sound quality or volume in it's new location?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

RYNO20

#844 Post by RYNO20 »

Seth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:41 pm
RYNO20 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:51 pm
Not much here except I put Big T in the corner finally, big difference is my steel walls are shaking lolC22A9467-32C2-48DA-8844-227B18E897B7.jpeg
Hey Ryno, glad to have you join in :thumbsup: I was wondering if the previous place you had it, right next to the doorway there, would possibly pick up any cancellations from the wall in the room behind it. Other than the shaking walls, have you noticed any change in the sound quality or volume in it's new location?
Not yet just moved it one hour before photo , need to run thru iPad and dbx again
BuyiNg BB is at least 2 months out lumberyard says , planning on Otop 12 and another big T, yeah this one is lonely.
Bought another peavey ipr2 3000 to put the T’s on . Been selling lots of stuff on Reverb go and see Ryno’s speed and machine shop there lol.

AntonZ

#845 Post by AntonZ »

Any progress on the bass playing? Don't feel bad about no progress mind you, I have not touched a bass either for a long time. It is hard to find motivation to play an instrument which I find is only happy when played in a full band context.

Seth

#846 Post by Seth »

AntonZ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:27 am
Any progress on the bass playing? Don't feel bad about no progress mind you, I have not touched a bass either for a long time. It is hard to find motivation to play an instrument which I find is only happy when played in a full band context.
Hey Anton, how have you been buddy?

When I had my knee surgery a couple months ago, I fully intended to continue my daily practice sessions. I bought one of those little headphone amps and brought my U-Bass to the hospital and skilled nursing facility with me. However, even though I kept the narcotics to a minimum, I was way more wiped out than I anticipated and lost all inspiration to practice. I forced myself to practice a couple times, but found I was pretty grumpy and irritable about having to set it all up. Ultimately, it wasn't enjoyable and hasn't been in my thoughts until recently. I started to get some interest back the other day and I'm starting to pick it back up again. I didn't lose as much as I thought I would. It's coming back quickly.

Other than the bass playing, I also have the two WH6's to finish up, 4x 30" T39's rough cut and ready for assembly/finish cuts, and a pile of ¼" BB destined to become a quartet of Ultralight DR200's.

Once those all get completed, I'll still have about 12 spare drivers on my shelf. 4 are 8's for the second round of DR's and the rest are unspoken for. 4x Delta 12LFA's and 4x S2012. I'm not quite sure what to do with the D12LFA's, maybe a Tuba design. With the S2012's, I've got a serious craving to try out some Ultralight building techniques and build some 24" T48's using ¼" ply and just see what happens. Dunno. Still up for debate.

Anyway, most of that stuff is way off in dreamland. I still have one more surgery to go, so all this will most likely get pushed back yet again. I'd really like to keep up on the bass playing though. I'm enjoying it :thumbsup:

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

AntonZ

#847 Post by AntonZ »

No worries Seth, just keep it on the back burner. The time will come. I know the feeling of having plenty of drivers waiting on the shelf for their projects to get underway. I still have not completely finished my SLA's. They are playing music all day in my home office now that I have been working from home for almost a year, all they need is a grill. I have drivers for a TT and a pair of T39. The 3012LF are from *before* the steep price increase on neodymium drivers. Some of you may not even remember those days (Chris, I need an emoticon of an old man with a long white beard here). I want to build one or two of either S10 or S12 for light weight compact bass duty. Drivers for S10 are also on the shelf, and I have some that may or may not work in S12. So many projects so little time :cowboy:

Bruce Weldy

#848 Post by Bruce Weldy »

AntonZ wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:26 pm The 3012LF are from *before* the steep price increase on neodymium drivers. Some of you may not even remember those days
I remember it well. If not for that lack of neodymium for the speaker manufacturers, there most likely wouldn't be a front-loaded version of the T39 or T48.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Strange Kevin

#849 Post by Strange Kevin »

Speaking of the change in Titan design...

I came into some pre cut T48 panels for the older Top loaded design.

Its just the baffle, top,back, and bottom pieces. Basically all the pieces that need specific cutouts for handles, driver acess, and such. (So the hard part is done i guess)

Not sure how long they've satt around before I ended up with them, but over the last year they have been sitting in the corner of my shop, the pile is still dead flat! Baltic Birch is some quality stuff. (To be fair, there isn't much humidity in Phoenix though..)

Is it worth asking for a "downgrade" of the older plans, or should I just turn them into braces for other cabs...??

Sorta forgot I had them until I started re-arrangeing some junk the other day..
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

T_Gowan

#850 Post by T_Gowan »

Are other people feeling the pinch of price increases for PLY, I just price some 1/2 " good one side for another project around the house. I need 16 sheets 4x8. Used to be 42 Canadian dollars . Now over 60. Holly )(*(#^&^%$#. Have to start saving my pennies faster now.
On another note another winter over and I didn't get a single BFM project started. Wanted to increase my T39 count and more DR200 but nada.
Of course no gigs, already had a cancelation for next month.
Been getting more into lighting as my ears suck more with age but my eye sight is still OK.
DR200 x2
T24 16" x2
T39 20" x2
DCX2496
DEQ2496 x2
FBQ2496
Mackie DL1608

Bruce Weldy

#851 Post by Bruce Weldy »

T_Gowan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:39 am Are other people feeling the pinch of price increases for PLY, I just price some 1/2 " good one side for another project around the house.

You made me go check BB prices here since I haven't bought any in a while. Looks like my local supplier is up about 15%. From $31-32 a sheet to $36.

I guess we are doing better with gigs down here.......I have 7 over a 10 day stretch starting this Thursday. 3 playing and 4 sound. Honestly, more than I want.....this old body doesn't like that much work.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

T_Gowan

#852 Post by T_Gowan »

Yes still a little cool up here for outdoor gigs. Hoping by end of summer things will start to get normal again.
DR200 x2
T24 16" x2
T39 20" x2
DCX2496
DEQ2496 x2
FBQ2496
Mackie DL1608

Seth

#853 Post by Seth »

T_Gowan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:39 am Are other people feeling the pinch of price increases for PLY, I just price some 1/2 " good one side for another project around the house. I need 16 sheets 4x8. Used to be 42 Canadian dollars . Now over 60. Holly )(*(#^&^%$#. Have to start saving my pennies faster now.
On another note another winter over and I didn't get a single BFM project started. Wanted to increase my T39 count and more DR200 but nada.
Been getting more into lighting as my ears suck more with age but my eye sight is still OK.
Where I live, the 4x8 sheets have always cost way more than the 5x5 sheets. The 5x5 sheets are usually less than $40 and the 4x8's are over $80.

Have you done gigs with the two Titans and 2 DR's? If so, I'd enjoy hearing your experience with them and the sort of gigs you've done with that set-up. Indoor/outdoor, audience size, things you liked/didn't like...

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#854 Post by Seth »

Strange Kevin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:59 pm Speaking of the change in Titan design...

I came into some pre cut T48 panels for the older Top loaded design.

Its just the baffle, top,back, and bottom pieces. Basically all the pieces that need specific cutouts for handles, driver acess, and such. (So the hard part is done i guess)

Not sure how long they've satt around before I ended up with them, but over the last year they have been sitting in the corner of my shop, the pile is still dead flat! Baltic Birch is some quality stuff. (To be fair, there isn't much humidity in Phoenix though..)

Is it worth asking for a "downgrade" of the older plans, or should I just turn them into braces for other cabs...??

Sorta forgot I had them until I started re-arrangeing some junk the other day..
Shoot, I could see that going either way. How many cabs worth of those pieces? Just the one? If it's a pair, I'd probably build 'em. If it was just enough for one cab, I'd probably use the lumber elsewhere.

What are you thinking in the matter, Kevin?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

AntonZ

#855 Post by AntonZ »

T_Gowan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:39 amAre other people feeling the pinch of price increases for PLY
I just had a chat on this with one of my Canadian cousins the other day. He works in construction and mentioned a steep price increase in raw materials. Wood, wooden trusses, drywall, at his suppliers all of it got more expensive over the last year. By a lot. Then again, the prices some of you mention may sound high for you, we get charged considerably more for birch ply. And I am closer to the source. This is probably related to the larger quantities of wood being used in north America due to different preferred ways of construction. Over here the houses are mostly brick and concrete.