What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Re: What's to chat about?

#436 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:30 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm ...Of course, depending on how many monitors you are running, you may want some more of varying lengths...
Was thinking I'd do 8 conductor wire and SpeakOn's for stage monitors and be able to get 4 independent mixes on one cable run.
Gee, I hope you are yanking my chain..... :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Seth

#437 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:28 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm ...Of course, depending on how many monitors you are running, you may want some more of varying lengths...
Was thinking I'd do 8 conductor wire and SpeakOn's for stage monitors and be able to get 4 independent mixes on one cable run.
Not at all
https://smile.amazon.com/Neutrik-speakO ... B002BEVX5E
https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/por ... l-csa.html

At just over ¾", that's a hefty cable.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Seth

#438 Post by Seth »

I didn't get as far along as I wanted today. I forgot how long it takes to do a decent job on the wiring. Even after tinning the ends, my soldering iron was at it's limit trying to put enough heat into 2 12ga wires. Had to crank it all the way up to 890ºF, put as much solder on the tip as it would hold without dripping off, give it 10-15 seconds to come up to temp, and still had to heat the joint 20 seconds or more to get a decent outcome. I'm a bit of a stickler for good solder joints. Anyway, got all 20 spade connectors done and shrink wrapped.
20200319_154144.jpg
I chamfered the hand hold and wiring holes in panel 8. Then cut the 5/8 braces and used the router and circle jig to put lightening holes in them. I know I like things as light as reasonable possible, but I'm beginning to wonder if lightening the braces is worth the time and effort. Maybe I'll just do 'em quick and dirty with a jig saw in the future. It takes a bit of time to make 'em pretty and fairly concentric from one to the next.

Also gooped up the holes the wire passes through with PL. Could have done that yesterday. Oh well.
20200319_183208.jpg
At that point I started making mistakes, so I called it a day. I'll get 8 and 9 attached tomorrow. Maybe put some holes in 10 for the handle and casters so it's ready for assembly Saturday.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#439 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 pm
Not at all

That would be a definite one trick pony of a monitor system. Every monitor would have to be labeled. You could only use that cable - period. If you needed to go an extra few feet - tough luck if the cable isn't long enough - you can't just grab a longer one that fits with the mains also.

On paper, that might look like a good idea, but in the real world where monitor positions change daily and routing of cables changes based on where the amp rack ends up - it would be a huge nightmare. You can't use any cable anywhere, anytime....and if you build a bunch of extra 8 pair cables to cover all of the possibilities - the cost becomes exorbitant. 8 pair cable is typically used in large PA systems to hit a lot of speakers in one location - like a ground stack a big concerts.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#440 Post by Bryan Cox »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 am
SethRocksYou wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Not at all

That would be a definite one trick pony of a monitor system. Every monitor would have to be labeled. You could only use that cable - period. If you needed to go an extra few feet - tough luck if the cable isn't long enough - you can't just grab a longer one that fits with the mains also.

On paper, that might look like a good idea, but in the real world where monitor positions change daily and routing of cables changes based on where the amp rack ends up - it would be a huge nightmare. You can't use any cable anywhere, anytime....and if you build a bunch of extra 8 pair cables to cover all of the possibilities - the cost becomes exorbitant. 8 pair cable is typically used in large PA systems to hit a lot of speakers in one location - like a ground stack a big concerts.
I could see this working like a power cable snake. If Seth put a breakout panel at his amps and another near the speakers it could minimize the power cable runs through/around a venue. Any other way seems like it would be a one trick pony.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Bruce Weldy

#441 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bryan Cox wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:13 am

I could see this working like a power cable snake. If Seth put a breakout panel at his amps and another near the speakers it could minimize the power cable runs through/around a venue. Any other way seems like it would be a one trick pony.
You could certainly build a speaker snake, but you would use standard NL2 or 4s, not the NL8. By the time you build a breakout fan on one end and the box on the other, you've invested a bunch of money that probably won't be all that useful unless you are on really big stages.

Some times the easiest way really is the easiest way....

while I'm putting out ...isms.....well, there's this one too....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Seth

#442 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 am That would be a definite one trick pony of a monitor system. Every monitor would have to be labeled. You could only use that cable - period. If you needed to go an extra few feet - tough luck if the cable isn't long enough - you can't just grab a longer one that fits with the mains also.

I absolutely appreciate and enjoy the devils advocate, wisdom that only experience can provide, and your willingness to share it Bruce. Thank you.

For the sake of conversation, the whole thought of using 8 conductor/4 pair (not 8 pair) came up when daydreaming got the best of me and I was planning my "big" low power system, which would have 32 channels of amplification and 32 speaker cabs. 16 T48, 8 DR200, 8 WH6. Ultimately I've chosen to, at least for the time being, get going with a more realistic and reasonable plan of starting with 4 T39's and 4 SLAP's and see where that put's me. And really, I haven't had to use stage monitors yet. I've been successful in getting everyone on IEM's so far. But, I would like to have some anyway. I hope this hobby can grow into a side money thing and I'm sure I'll need monitors if/when that becomes a reality.

Anyway, I've had many of the same thoughts and concerns, and some of the solutions I've come up with are putting 4 way switches in each monitor and also wiring in standard NL4 connectors (and 2 way switches) alongside the NL8's. That way each monitor can be switched to any of the 4 mixes and/or also be used with more usual NL4 connectors with the option to switch between 1+- or 2+- as the source.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01G6RINXG/ ... GVCE49KG0I

Pulling my head out of the clouds for a moment (again :roll: )... I've got 500' of 4 conductor. I'll use that up and see where I stand on the whole thing then.

On the subject of 2 conductor vs. 4 conductor, I see all of your points except... if all my tops are wired 2+- and all the subs are 1+-, then every cable is universal and can be used anywhere, for any use. The down side is, for runs that only utilize one pair, the cable is twice the weight. Although, each monitor can have an A/B switch, halving the cabling on the stage. And still, same cable works everywhere and does everything.

As far as how I plan to run the subs... clustered together and v-plated whenever possible. The last show I did was on a 200' dock. The audience spanned the width of the dock and out to about 50 or so feet off the dock. I put the subs (2 x single 18's, not BFM cabs) together in the middle. Next time I'm going to try splitting the subs in hopes of evening out the coverage from side to side and not blow out the audience in front of them as much as when I had them clustered in the middle. The sound for that show was pretty good everywhere except for right by the subs. The shows I do that are set up on boats, I've only done them clustered on one boat, but with the new T39's I don't think they'll all fit where I need them to be. Might have to separate them in that situation too and put one pair on one boat another pair on another boat. However, in that case, I'd likely also put amps on the separate boats with the subs and probably run a top or 2 at that location too. I guess the answer is; whatever the venue calls for. As usual, right? Do the best we can, to do the best we can with the resources available.

If running a 4 stack of subs with 4 conductor wire, I see 2 options I'd use:
1) Run one cable to the location daisy chain from 1 to 2, then use a 1/2 swap adapter from 2 to 3, and another regular jumper from 3 to 4.
2) Just run 2 cables, same as you would do if it were 2 conductor cable

My thoughts on it anyway.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#443 Post by Bruce Weldy »

SethRocksYou wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:07 pm

For the sake of conversation, the whole thought of using 8 conductor/4 pair (not 8 pair) came up when daydreaming got the best of me and I was planning my "big" low power system, which would have 32 channels of amplification and 32 speaker cabs. 16 T48, 8 DR200, 8 WH6.
Ooops...my bad on the 8 pair vs. 8 conductor....

Now, as to your dream system - running one channel per speaker just isn't a good way to do it in a system that big. You would want to scale the amps so that they best handle the load with as few as possible. For subs, you'd most likely get bigger amps that can handle a 4 ohm load on each channel and run two cabs on each. That way, 2 amps run 8 subs. On your tops, you could even go with an amp that handles a 2 ohm load per side and run all 8 on one amp....as long as it's powerful enough to run cool at those loads. Then there's every configuration in between to balance amp channels with speakers. Of course, you need one channel for each separate monitor send.....that's where lower powered 4 channel amps come into play.
Ultimately I've chosen to, at least for the time being, get going with a more realistic and reasonable plan of starting with 4 T39's and 4 SLAP's and see where that put's me. And really, I haven't had to use stage monitors yet. I've been successful in getting everyone on IEM's so far. But, I would like to have some anyway. I hope this hobby can grow into a side money thing and I'm sure I'll need monitors if/when that becomes a reality.
If you hire out, you'll definitely need monitors. And believe me, as you do this you'll want to keep everything as easy and un-complicated as possible to get in, get setup, and make noise as quickly and easily as possible.

Anyway, I've had many of the same thoughts and concerns, and some of the solutions I've come up with are putting 4 way switches in each monitor and also wiring in standard NL4 connectors (and 2 way switches) alongside the NL8's. That way each monitor can be switched to any of the 4 mixes and/or also be used with more usual NL4 connectors with the option to switch between 1+- or 2+- as the source.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01G6RINXG/ ... GVCE49KG0I
Wow the potential problems with that kind of set just keep springing to mind.....Besides the additional complexity of the build and wiring itself, consider that if each rotary control is not set correctly, you could have to monitors on the same mix and then have to chase down where the problem is.

Most of the time, this is done in the dark and you are out front at the board and have to hoof it back up to figure out what's wrong...or, you hire someone to help you (and you will if you start doing gigs that are bigger) and they have to learn all of the possible settings to get the monitors to work.

If you try to set up your amp rack where you can either use the NL8 or the NL4, there will be more connectors on your rack panel all wired parallel to make it all work....mixing and matching those connectors on the fly in the dark during a 20 minute turn around for the next band ..... it's bad enough trying to placate the ego-filled talent without trying to get the monitors wired correctly for these guys who moved all of your monitors as soon as they got on stage.....

I'm one to question the wisdom of "well, we've always done it that way" just like you. But, sometimes they've always done it that way because it's the best way....

On the subject of 2 conductor vs. 4 conductor, I see all of your points except... if all my tops are wired 2+- and all the subs are 1+-, then every cable is universal and can be used anywhere, for any use. The down side is, for runs that only utilize one pair, the cable is twice the weight. Although, each monitor can have an A/B switch, halving the cabling on the stage. And still, same cable works everywhere and does everything.
Wiring all of your tops to use 2+/- is a big mistake. That means you can only use your tops with your rack and your cables. What if you want to do a small acoustic gig with just tops and a small rack with an amp and an EQ? If you really want to use 4 conductor cable to hit the subs and the tops in one wire, then split the wire and terminate with two NL2s instead of one NL4. That way your tops can stay wired to 1+/-. I would wire the rack with the tops and mains split also - you can still use your 4 conductor cable just split that end also with two NL2s. That gives you all kinds of flexibility in your set up.

Even if you insist on putting all the wires in one NL4 connector, at least put an output jack on the panel where the 2+/- from the input cable is wired to the 1+/- on the output jack....that way your tops stay with 1+/-.

And all of this only really works for tops and subs if you always split them.
As far as how I plan to run the subs... clustered together and v-plated whenever possible. The last show I did was on a 200' dock. The audience span the width of the dock and out about 50 or so feet deep, off the dock. I put the subs (2 x single 18's, not BFM cabs) together in the middle. Next time I'm going to try splitting the subs in hopes of evening out the coverage from side to side and not blow out the audience in front of them as much as when I had them clustered in the middle. The sound for that show was pretty good everywhere except for right by the subs.
Definitely split the subs in that situation. I do a monthly show where we split the subs because of the width of the tops....if I were to put the subs in the middle - the first few rows would sound awful.....

I guess the answer is; whatever the venue calls for. As usual, right? Do the best we can, to do the best we can with the resources available.
Exactly. Always try to do it the best way, but understand that sometimes you have to give up a little in one area to get what you want somewhere else. I've been having to split subs more and more as the band I work with does mostly corporate events and weddings now....the venues just don't work with the subs clustered. Same reason I've done more and more gigs with an iPad instead of running a snake out front...don't like it, but you do what ya' gotta' do.

If running a 4 stack of subs with 4 conductor wire, I see 2 options I'd use:
1) Run one cable to the location daisy chain from 1 to 2, then use a 1/2 swap adapter from 2 to 3, and another regular jumper from 3 to 4.
2) Just run 2 cables, same as you would do if it were 2 conductor cable
Or, as I've mentioned before - split the pairs using some heat shrink and put an NL2 on each split. One goes to Sub 1 (sub 2 get daisy chained). The other one goes to Sub 3 (sub 4 gets daisy chained). All connectors use 1+/-. No turnaround cables, or adapters and all connectors are interchangeable. You can either split the end at the rack or just use the NL 4 with one channel to 1 and the other to 2.
IMG_1214.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Seth

#444 Post by Seth »

Things went pretty well today.

I decided to put an anchor under the Top Hat. Box is upside down in this photo.
20200320_144805.jpg

Hot tip! Cut up a HDPE cutting board to use as guides and stops. PL wont stick to it and it's easy to pull brads through once removed from their duty.
20200320_154650.jpg
20200320_154653.jpg
Panel 8, 9, as well as 5/8 braces installed
20200320_155734.jpg
If you look at it from a certain angle, close one eye, and squint the other... it looks a little like a box now.

I feel like I'm coming down the home stretch, but I know there's a lot of finish work ahead of me to have things look nice. Bondo, sanding, painting...

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#445 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:32 pm Now, as to your dream system - running one channel per speaker just isn't a good way to do it in a system that big. You would want to scale the amps so that they best handle the load with as few as possible. For subs, you'd most likely get bigger amps that can handle a 4 ohm load on each channel and run two cabs on each. That way, 2 amps run 8 subs. On your tops, you could even go with an amp that handles a 2 ohm load per side and run all 8 on one amp....as long as it's powerful enough to run cool at those loads. Then there's every configuration in between to balance amp channels with speakers. Of course, you need one channel for each separate monitor send.....that's where lower powered 4 channel amps come into play.
Yeah, I get that what you're saying would be the way to go about it, except that the whole idea started with the amps. I have 32 separate channels in only 8 RU, 2x 4RU rollers. Full DSP on each individual channel. For arguments sake, I don't think you could get what you're talking about in 8RU.

Here's 16 channels
20200320_140731.jpg
And, with the Dante network, one ethernet cable per 4RU roller is all that's needed to get all signals in. No rat's nest of XLR's to fumble through.

Power, Ethernet, and 4 speaker cables per 4RU roller case (one each side of the stage) and it would be ready to make noise. Doesn't get much easier than that.

If you hire out, you'll definitely need monitors. And believe me, as you do this you'll want to keep everything as easy and un-complicated as possible to get in, get setup, and make noise as quickly and easily as possible.
I hear ya, it's time and thought intensive even when it is quick and easy.

IMG_1214.JPG
IMG_1214.JPG (35.34 KiB) Viewed 397 times
I like that. Could even do it as an "adapter", giving the option to do it either way... NL4 or 2x NL2's

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bruce Weldy

#446 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Geez....didn't know that you had 8 channel power amps.. But, you can still double up per channel if they are 4 ohm capable...especially for the tops.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#447 Post by Bruce Weldy »

How are you gonna' get enough power out of those to run subs?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

himhimself

#448 Post by himhimself »

OMG, that's some serious amp candy! Did you score a crazy deal, or sell a car? Drooooooool :mrgreen:
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Seth

#449 Post by Seth »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:12 am Geez....didn't know that you had 8 channel power amps.. But, you can still double up per channel if they are 4 ohm capable...especially for the tops.
Yeah, absolutely could double up tops per channel. A while back there was a thread on how much amp DR200's need, pretty sure anything over 100wpc is good to go. J_Dunavin mentioned that he had his limited at 25v and had never hit the limiter.

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:15 am How are you gonna' get enough power out of those to run subs?
The options are to either double the sub count and run Delta 12LFA or Basslite S2012 loaded cabs limited at 35v or Bridge the channels and run 3012LF's in less cabs.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#450 Post by Seth »

himhimself wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 am OMG, that's some serious amp candy! Did you score a crazy deal, or sell a car? Drooooooool :mrgreen:
Man, I got such an unbelievable deal on these things. Insane. I think that because they're able to be networked, a lot of tech companies bought them up in quantity for their offices or whatever. When they go belly up a salvage company comes in and liquidates all the hardware they can on ebay. And because the amps are so high end, no one is searching for them. That's the story I made up anyway. Makes sense to me.

New, these (ne8250pe) sell for $2700 a piece. The last two I purchased were new and unused in their original box for $357 delivered... for both! NEW!!!
20200320_140740.jpg
I've also picked up:
2 pe1800's, won the auction for those $105, cost $80 to ship. One has the additional DSP card the other is regular. Less than $200 for both
2 ne800pe's, bought those separately at separate times but from the same seller, best offer. $100 each
1 ne1600pe...$79 plus the ride

All of them have AWESOME DSP (except for the one PE1800) and all are accessed, monitored, and modified via network.

By the way, 24" x 36" 4-6mil bags are great for storing amplifiers.
20200320_140930.jpg
Last edited by Seth on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's