What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Grant Bunter

Re: What's to chat about?

#331 Post by Grant Bunter »

I've been away for a few weeks, up at the family farm trying to do whatever I could to help out there.
Got some fences and electric fences sorted out.
Very pleased to see not all the wildlife was killed in the area.
The damage in the entire affected area was, well, it was intense, just like the fire itself.

Then off to a place called Armidale in New South Wales for the annual event I work at called the Burrumbuttock Hay Run (check out their FB page).
It's in a different location every year, and part of it is to provide a free benefit concert to the locals...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#332 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm I've been away for a few weeks, up at the family farm trying to do whatever I could to help out there.
Got some fences and electric fences sorted out.
Very pleased to see not all the wildlife was killed in the area.
The damage in the entire affected area was, well, it was intense, just like the fire itself.

Then off to a place called Armidale in New South Wales for the annual event I work at called the Burrumbuttock Hay Run (check out their FB page).
It's in a different location every year, and part of it is to provide a free benefit concert to the locals...
Good to see ya' back Grant!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#333 Post by Bryan Cox »

Grant,

Glad to hear from ya. Saw some of the pictures of the aftermath and it was eye opening. Good luck at your event and take care, man.
Otop 12 x 4 (Delta Pro 12-450a) 2x melded, 2x straight
Titan 39 x 4 (3012LF) 20" wide

Seth

#334 Post by Seth »

Hey Grant, I was just noticing the other day that we hadn't heard much from you lately. Really good to hear from you buddy and I'm glad you're alright.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Tom Smit

#335 Post by Tom Smit »

SethRocksYou wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:47 pm Hey Grant, I was just noticing the other day that we hadn't heard much from you lately. Really good to hear from you buddy and I'm glad you're alright.
+1
TomS

Grant Bunter

#336 Post by Grant Bunter »

Thanks all,
Nice to be back, other than that means I'm also back at work.

Bryan,
The event is done and dusted. Often "dusted" is a literal description of a hay run, but this year there was good rain at the event, lovely for the locals, almost a nightmare for the entertainment team...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bryan Cox

#337 Post by Bryan Cox »

Grant Bunter wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:47 pm Thanks all,
Nice to be back, other than that means I'm also back at work.

Bryan,
The event is done and dusted. Often "dusted" is a literal description of a hay run, but this year there was good rain at the event, lovely for the locals, almost a nightmare for the entertainment team...
Did a show in North Texas once. Ran sound for all bands; three openers and my band headlined. By the time the third band was done a torrential downpour started. When I got to my speakers to pull them under an overhang there was already 4" of water on the ground. Glad I shut everything down quickly. Was just a matter of opening up the cabs and letting them dry out before powering them on again.

In your case, I guess the rain was good for those crazy fires. But yeah, totally sucks for the sound crew. Glad to hear you didn't fry any gear. Rock on!

Seth

#338 Post by Seth »

Bill,
Other than added cost and build time, is there any reason it's a poor idea to put melded arrays in all 8 DR200's?
Deeper in the field, beyond the distance which added dispersion is beneficial, would there be any detriment to sound quality when compared to a flat array?

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bryan Cox

#339 Post by Bryan Cox »

We were talking about amps the last couple days and it got me thinking. Are class A/B amps even still produced? I've done a little searching from the manufacturers I know but it all seemed to be class D.

On a similar note, I'd read on AVS Forum that the class D design cuts harmonic content due to its switching process. Can anyone weigh in on that? It didn't sound like it was backed by results but it was an interesting statement.

Seth

#340 Post by Seth »

Bryan Cox wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:38 pm We were talking about amps the last couple days and it got me thinking. Are class A/B amps even still produced? I've done a little searching from the manufacturers I know but it all seemed to be class D.

On a similar note, I'd read on AVS Forum that the class D design cuts harmonic content due to its switching process. Can anyone weigh in on that? It didn't sound like it was backed by results but it was an interesting statement.
That's a good question. I've been seeing a bunch of designations lately, some I'm not familiar with. And now that you mention it, I haven't seen too much in the way of Class A/B amplifiers either. Not that I really know what one is from the other anyway other than Class D supposedly being more efficient and not requiring the traditional transformer. Been seeing Class D, Switch mode supply with Class-D output, Class T, class I, hybrid Class D... I know the Switch Mode Power Supplies are showing up all over the place in high power products such as welding machines and DC to AC Power Inverters.

I wouldn't mind reading a little about it all.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Seth

#341 Post by Seth »

This was a little deeper than my mind wanted to go at the moment. I'll give it another try in the morning.

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/am ... asses.html

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's

Bryan Cox

#342 Post by Bryan Cox »

I did a little more research and still didn't find any class A/B amps. But Peavey makes a variation on that: the class H with their CS series. This is basically the same as the class A/B but with a modified power section. They incorporate two power rails (high voltage/low voltage) to provide the necessary output.

With that said, the lower of the two models, CS4000, comes in at a hefty 67 lbs. OUCH!!! But these amps are beasts if their RMS is to be believed.

Bruce Weldy

#343 Post by Bruce Weldy »

While all of the technical stuff is interesting and I certainly applaud you all wanting to deepen your understanding, don't lose sight of the end product. I've seen arguments over slew rates, and switching amps, and all of the typical Ford vs. Chevy stuff over the years.

Bottom line, you still have to make whatever you have sound good. Whether you use class A, B, D, H or XYZ amps, you still have to make it sound good. Will changing from light Class D amps to a different design really help your rig sound better? Pretty sure the only change you'll notice is in your chiropractor bills.

Not knocking the zeal for more knowledge, just don't take your eye off the prize. It's important to keep the big picture in mind as you balance quality, price, weight, pack space, etc. against the size of your system, the venues you work and amount you charge for your services. One of the allures of the BFM speakers is the ability to create a lot of volume with less power - so take advantage of that and stay small, light and scalable with all the other gear.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bryan Cox

#344 Post by Bryan Cox »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:07 am While all of the technical stuff is interesting and I certainly applaud you all wanting to deepen your understanding, don't lose sight of the end product. I've seen arguments over slew rates, and switching amps, and all of the typical Ford vs. Chevy stuff over the years.

Bottom line, you still have to make whatever you have sound good. Whether you use class A, B, D, H or XYZ amps, you still have to make it sound good. Will changing from light Class D amps to a different design really help your rig sound better? Pretty sure the only change you'll notice is in your chiropractor bills.

Not knocking the zeal for more knowledge, just don't take your eye off the prize. It's important to keep the big picture in mind as you balance quality, price, weight, pack space, etc. against the size of your system, the venues you work and amount you charge for your services. One of the allures of the BFM speakers is the ability to create a lot of volume with less power - so take advantage of that and stay small, light and scalable with all the other gear.
Great points, Bruce...and I agree entirely. (Look, I got the name right this time!) Not trying to derail any thought processes or convince myself to go back to hauling anvils around. It's just that the discussion about Behringer amps, and class D in general, made me wonder if other amps classes are still being produced for PA application.

Truth be told, I'll stay with class D solely for the weight and lower prevalence of heat issues. And I'm sure that if I sat class A/B and class D amps next to each other I wouldn't be able to hear a difference other than placebo effect.

Although, if someone is able to produce a class T amp for PA then I'll definitely try it.

Seth

#345 Post by Seth »

Bill, I was thinking the other day... like I don't do enough of that anyway... but, anyway. You mentioned, in another thread, that the Dancetronauts hadn't given credit where credit is due. I've gotta believe that's not out of willfully robbing you the notoriety and genuine expressed appreciation you and your speaker designs undoubtedly deserve.

All the YouTube channels are doing it... have you ever considered offering a line of Bill Fitzmaurice Designs "Merch"? I'd buy a hat, T-shirt, and hoodie if it were available. And, if I had a bad ass trailer with dancing girls on it, I'd be happy to present a reasonably sized banner, flag, or poster if it were also available.

Anyway, just a thought. And, I appreciate you and what you've created. Thank you.

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's