What's to chat about?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Seth

Re: What's to chat about?

#991 Post by Seth »

So, while I was out on my journey I was witness to some good ole acoustic guitar and unamplified singing. Great times. I had the desire to be able to plug my bass (If I'd brought it on this trip) into a compact bass-horn-amp that would/could closely match the output of an acoustic guitar and non-amplified vocal, campfire like situation. My little 10" bass amp would be somewhat ample, but I had the curiosity... would a decently designed bass amp with a small-ish (6") driver be able to be small enough yet loud enough to keep up (blend well) with an acoustic guitar? Especially at the bottom(ish) of the 4 string pass band without being much larger in volume compared to a typical 10" bass amp???

:confused:
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#992 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:49 pm
Office chairs... I like them with arms and a good comfortable recline/tilt... and free. :lol:
Well, I just hung up from requesting a return kit for my X-Chair. It's gonna' cost me a $150 return fee - but the chair just ain't workin' for me.

It's a great chair and if I was sitting up all the time - it would be fine. However, I spend 90% of my time in my office with my feet up and the keyboard in my lap. My old chair was essentially one piece - the back and the seat moved together. This chair and most of the other new style chairs I've looked at - the seat back reclines, but the seat stays flat. That just doesn't work for me. Been trying to make it work for a couple of weeks......but.... nope.

It's too bad because I really wanted a great chair. This chair is really solid and would probably last forever, but it just doesn't fit me. So, I'm willing to eat $150 to send back a $1250 chair.

Oh.....and you better sit down for this......I just ordered a powered speaker. :shock:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#993 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

This is my office/TV chair:
https://www.afastores.com/barcalounger- ... LMQAvD_BwE

Forget that price, I got mine for $899.

My laptop is never in my lap, it's on one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Laptop-W ... 9514&psc=1

I've got a bad back, and when it goes on me sciatica. Using a regular office chair and desktop four to six hours a day killed me, as it put all my weight on my hips and lower back. The only relief I got was when I was in my recliner, so my recliner became my office.

Seth

#994 Post by Seth »

This office chair has the tilt you're looking for.

Powered speaker? You? Even building/having the powered SLA Pro? Do tell.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#995 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:09 pm This is my office/TV chair:
https://www.afastores.com/barcalounger- ... LMQAvD_BwE

Forget that price, I got mine for $899.

My laptop is never in my lap, it's on one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Laptop-W ... 9514&psc=1

I've got a bad back, and when it goes on me sciatica. Using a regular office chair and desktop four to six hours a day killed me, as it put all my weight on my hips and lower back. The only relief I got was when I was in my recliner, so my recliner became my office.
Nice looking chair.....just don't have room for the ottoman in my office.

Laptop? Never.....I hate laptops. :mrgreen: I use one with my Mixer when I need to, but I prefer a PC tower and a keyboard. And my dual 21 inch monitors. (I do a lot of documents)

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#996 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:10 pm This office chair has the tilt you're looking for.

Powered speaker? You? Even building/having the powered SLA Pro? Do tell.
As to the chair - I'd break that thing in less than a year.....I tried one kinda' like that a few years back....had to drag my old one out of the garage to replace it. I'll buy another high-end chair - just have to find the right one.

POWERED SPEAKER story......

We are cranking up the monthly Country Music Show here in town. Been doing sound for it for almost 4 years when Covid hit. The new incarnation will require 5 monitors instead of the 4 we've been using. So, I either have to lug in an additional amp rack and a 65 pound monitor, or just grab a little 30 pound powered 10 inch monitor. My main rig has the 4 channel monitor amp in the rack and we dolly in two monitors stacked at a time. Adding one would require lifting one off the stack in the trailer and make a trip just for it, plus hauling in the amp.

So, this is a case where a powered speaker will be less of a problem rather than more. And I can use it for acoustic stuff as a monitor along with my SLA as mains.

I bought an Alto TS310. I have a couple of friends that have these and love 'em. We'll see.....it comes in next week.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#997 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

20 years ago my laptop was my emergency back-up and take-it-with-me-on-vacation computer. For the last ten years my laptop has been my primary computer, with the desk top hardly ever getting used. My back forced me to stop using an office chair. It wasn't long after making the switch that the office chair ended up on the curb. I don't miss it, or the pain it caused me.

himhimself

#998 Post by himhimself »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Chair, schmair... get a stand up desk. We don't need no stinkin' chairs!
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

#999 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:08 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Chair, schmair... get a stand up desk. We don't need no stinkin' chairs!
If my back would let me stand up, I'd be playing golf again and not having to take a stool to gigs to sit on when I'm not singing....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#1000 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:12 pm 20 years ago my laptop was my emergency back-up and take-it-with-me-on-vacation computer. For the last ten years my laptop has been my primary computer, with the desk top hardly ever getting used. My back forced me to stop using an office chair. It wasn't long after making the switch that the office chair ended up on the curb. I don't miss it, or the pain it caused me.
I understand. That's why I spend all my time with my feet up on desk, leaned all the way back.....my back never hurts in that position. So, I either recline here in my office or in the recliner in the front of the TV.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#1001 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

As bad as my back is I still walk 9 holes five days a week. This is the reason why: https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride- ... -mg-015419

Bruce Weldy

#1002 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:35 pm As bad as my back is I still walk 9 holes five days a week. This is the reason why: https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride- ... -mg-015419
I've been taking Turmeric for a few years. It's a vicious cycle with my back. It's better when I stretch and exercise, but it's hard to stretch and exercise when your back hurts. For several years, I played golf 5 times a week - now it's about 5 times in the last two years. Doesn't seem all that long ago that we would play full-court basketball for a couple of hours at noon in a gym with no A/C, the run home and shower, grab a bite, then walk 18 holes before it got dark.....and we'd do this in the summer in Texas.......getting old sucks.....I like where my brain is, just with my body could keep up.

Maybe if I did a few more jumping jacks :hyper: , chopped some wood :chainsaw: , did a little boxing :slap: , and beat a few dead horses :horse:, I'd be in better shape.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#1003 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

For the most part the turmeric keeps my back inflammation under control. Bending over for more than 30 seconds is unpleasant, but otherwise I'm pretty much OK. I do pop three or four acetaminophen before playing golf. The range of hip rotation required to keep from slicing every shot can make me achy even before the end of the round, this keeps that ache from erupting.

Bruce Weldy

#1004 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 am For the most part the turmeric keeps my back inflammation under control. Bending over for more than 30 seconds is unpleasant, but otherwise I'm pretty much OK. I do pop three or four acetaminophen before playing golf. The range of hip rotation required to keep from slicing every shot can make me achy even before the end of the round, this keeps that ache from erupting.
Well, we have the same regimen. I go with 4 ibuprofen before I head out to a gig. The bending over to run cables really tears me up.....

Fortunately, most everything I do now just involves me showing up with an iPad and my Go-bag for gigs at venues. And when the trailer does leave with the whole rig, I have Mike to make it all happen.

Supposed to do a make-up show tonight for the rain-out from last week - but it looks like it's gonna rain today too. We've had more rain than I can ever remember during the summer. Usually, the rainy time is in June - this year it's been all of July and starting up now in August. But, I'm not complaining about the rain or the low temps for us. Haven't hit 100 degrees this whole summer!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Rich4349

#1005 Post by Rich4349 »

I've injured and overused pretty much every part of my body at some point or another: lower back, knees, ankle, rotators. EVERY time I've gone for PT, the 3-6 moves they've had me do, for whatever body part- ALL turned out to be... Yoga moves. Just YouTube your nagging body part + yoga, then start slowly and for as long as you can tolerate without PAIN, then build slowly.

Oh, and this stuff has worked wonders for most aches, pains, injuries, etc:

NAC acetyl - cysteine
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!