Mono/stereo Stack

Anything not covered elsewhere.
hbinderup94

Mono/stereo Stack

#1 Post by hbinderup94 »

Hello guys,

Story short: we're gonna do an outdoor party where we can't use the speaker stands for the top speakers - don't trust them on the underlay as it's in the forest.

Therefore I've tried various setups to find the "best" solution for this party. It's only about 100 people and we won't blast anything near war volume.

The setups I've tried so far:

Cross firing tops:
IMG_20190731_191927.jpg
Cluster tops:
IMG_20190731_192236.jpg
Line array tops:
IMG_20190731_192704.jpg
My favourite was the cross firing setup. The dispersion is just unreal. I tried it in stereo, and it sounded great - probably just reflections from the room, so won't work outside?

Cluster is just no way and the line array in mono sounded empty compared to the cross firing in stereo. Maybe it's just indoor dynamics?

What do you prefer to do in such situations? I'd prefer to spread out the tops, but it's not really an option this time.
Also the subs will just be side stacked like in the pictures, as we won't need the power of the V-plate - and it's probably safer to have an "acoustic limiter" in regards of noise compliants.. :D also it's quite aesthetic and practical in this setup..

Also we're gonna raise the tops 30cm with some boxes and then strap it all together.

Btw, this is our living room setup. On 3rd floor. And yes, we get a lot of complaints :fruit:

Thanks in advance.
Built:
2x Omnitop 8; Beta 8 + asd1001 - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25234

Bought:
2x Titan48, 24"; 18sound 15nlw9300, V-plate (Built by Emanuel)

1x Crown XLS 1502
1x Crown XLS 2502
Driverack PA2

CoronaOperator

Re: Mono/stereo Stack

#2 Post by CoronaOperator »

hbinderup94 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:33 am Story short: we're gonna do an outdoor party where we can't use the speaker stands for the top speakers - don't trust them on the underlay as it's in the forest.
For a 100 people I would split the tops. On soft ground you need some pads for a foundation underneath the legs of the stands. Six 8" x 8" pieces of scrap wood would suffice. A handful of scrap 2x4's for leveling the lower legs would also be in order. You aren't building a bridge, you only need to float 50 lbs.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CoronaOperator wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:21 am On soft ground you need some pads for a foundation underneath the legs of the stands. Six 8" x 8" pieces of scrap wood would suffice. A handful of scrap 2x4's for leveling the lower legs would also be in order. You aren't building a bridge, you only need to float 50 lbs.
I've been carrying the round cutouts from the speaker spacers in my trailer for years to use as levelers. Much better than a 2x4 because they have a larger surface area to work with.

As far as the setup for this deal - for a small party like that there's nothing wrong with a mono stack having the tops stacked....kinda' looks like a Bose L1 on steroids. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

nick mineau

#4 Post by nick mineau »

the vertical stack is going to have extremely,extremely narrow vertical hf coverage, but if aimed correctly would work the best. side by side is going to have horrible combflitering in the horizontal axis, so do not do that... crossfire, i have no idea but i imagine there is going to be a lot of comb filtering with that as well as you walk around... so i would avoid
If you need wider horizontal coverage then one cab can provide, then splay the tops outwards at their -6db points, otherwise stack them and spend some time with the correct angle to have the hf end up right where you need it vertically. my guess is if you angle them a few degrees downward, you'll be in a great spot 70ft out or so. bonus is as you get closer to the stacks, you'll walk out of the hf coverage, and it wont kill people up close... also if you don't need the headroom or a wider horizontal dispersion. and want to retain more vertical covrage. use one top...

NukePooch

#5 Post by NukePooch »

nick mineau wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:22 pm crossfire, i have no idea but i imagine there is going to be a lot of comb filtering with that as well as you walk around... so i would avoid
If you absolutely can't go vertical, go crossfire.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1293
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

AcousticScience

#6 Post by AcousticScience »

What about the "line array" option but with the top cab very slightly rotated (to avoid the stack falling over or the top cab falling off) with the diffuser rods on axis? Or maybe some sort of swivelling HF horn if the tops and bottoms aren't permanently glued in place (in my cabs they are affixed with two screws a side but one bolt going into the diffuser rod each side would allow me to swivel if I wanted a wide dispersion 2 stack.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

That's called a spiral array, and it is an option, if correctly implemented.

AcousticScience

#8 Post by AcousticScience »

I've experimented with spiral arrays and they do provide very even coverage but can be unsafe to rig.