Need help with Ground loop Humm

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

Need help with Ground loop Humm

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

Hello guys,
I hope this may have an easy fix. We had a VOIP telephone system installed at out business back in Oct. and for paging, we have a dedicated phone whose speaker output is sent to the AUX input of a small amp to send PA out to the yard. After they installed it, there was a noticeable humm when the Paging was not being used. As soon as a page would come thru voice is clear as a bell. I spoke to tech support over the past few months and tires to install a magnet around the speaker wire going to the amp and no change. Today O decided to give it a go again and I noticed that when I removed the network cable from the phone the humm sent away. So that lead me to my question since the network router and the amp are in 2 separate parts of the building, what can be done to correct the situation?

Any and all help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

J_Dunavin

Re: Need help with Ground loop Humm

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

I assume if you pull the aux cable from the amp the noise goes away? Would an isolation transformer work in line there?
L/com also sells a network isolation box, ( see part number LC-60601-1) it’s not cheap, but a combination of the network isolator and the audio transformer may be the ticket.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

y2kindyz

#3 Post by y2kindyz »

Thank you for the response J_Dun. Yes when the aux cable is off no noise. Wow you were not kidding about them not being cheap. WOW shocked me at close to $300. Know I know what to for I will try and find a more cost effective solution. If not I may have to bite the bullet.

Thanks again

PS
That is why I love this forum.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Causes and cures for ground loops: http://www.rane.com/note110.html

CoronaOperator

#5 Post by CoronaOperator »

Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

madmallard

#6 Post by madmallard »

y2kindyz wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 am Hello guys,
I hope this may have an easy fix. We had a VOIP telephone system installed at out business back in Oct. and for paging, we have a dedicated phone whose speaker output is sent to the AUX input of a small amp to send PA out to the yard. After they installed it, there was a noticeable humm when the Paging was not being used. As soon as a page would come thru voice is clear as a bell. I spoke to tech support over the past few months and tires to install a magnet around the speaker wire going to the amp and no change. Today O decided to give it a go again and I noticed that when I removed the network cable from the phone the humm sent away. So that lead me to my question since the network router and the amp are in 2 separate parts of the building, what can be done to correct the situation?

Any and all help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

first question. When the phone device is off/not carrying a call, its emitting a hum, but when its got an open voice line its not?

second, is the phone device powered off of the network cable run, or does it have its own power plug?

third, is this an output jack on the phone, or did someone literally open it up and wire the speakerphone terminals to a cable to run to the amp?

y2kindyz

#7 Post by y2kindyz »

Sorry for the late reply. I have not had time to log on to site in a while. 1 I have not tried to remove power from phone and see if humm persist. 2 Phone has its own power plug. 3 Phone was opened up and speaker wires are being used as output to the amp. Phone does not have output jack. Still living with humm. :(