Calling all Karaoke gurus

Anything not covered elsewhere.
J_Dunavin

Calling all Karaoke gurus

#1 Post by J_Dunavin »

I want to add Karaoke as an option to my rig, but am unsure where to start. I mean, I get that I’ll need an extra mic or two, lcd monitor, and gear, but I see several on line subscription services. They seem like a good idea.
Any recommendations would be helpful.

Also would a monitor be useful so the singer can hear themselves?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

whines

Re: Calling all Karaoke gurus

#2 Post by whines »

There's a lot of perfectly good karaoke videos on Youtube. I like the services because they're more consistent, but inevitably people want stuff that isn't offered on them.

http://www.thekaraokechannel.com/

...is what I use when I don't cheap out.
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

Using YouTube videos violates their TOS and is a great way to have a failure during a show. If you do a subscription service, make sure you are paying for an appropriate level of service. Some of them offer a “home” license which would not cover public performance like that.

A client of mine uses Karafun, which seems to work well for them. At $49 /mo for the pro license, it isn’t too bad if you do at least a show or two per month and charge appropriately.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Signalsdrone

#4 Post by Signalsdrone »

I use a powered mixer and a laptop and have gone the Youtube route for my garage karaoke. I've had friends that wanted a specific song bring their own tablet / cell phone. I then plug into their media source and we go from there. Works great for a night of caterwauling with friends.

J_Dunavin

#5 Post by J_Dunavin »

Brent,
Ya I’m too nervous to use YouTube.
I read into karafun and see that you can upload some onto the pc? Also that you can control the volume of the lyrics of the actual song to sing along to?
If I do it I think I’d like to use a small mixer with an aux bus to give the singer a monitor.
With my current DJ lights I could even use two of em to use as a spot light on the singer!
It would be great, I’m pretty sure no one else in my area offeres this as a mobile service.
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

BrentEvans

#6 Post by BrentEvans »

Yeah. I’ve never run it but that all that sounds about right. I’d get something like an Xr12 so you can have IPad control and some decent effects. Don’t use wireless mics, or even good mics. They’ll get destroyed. Buy some $20 mics (behringer’s xm1800 and 8500 are decent for karaoke and cheap). Keep a couple of spares so you can change it out quickly if someone pukes on it.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.