Fullrange-ish drivers for bass guitar

Anything not covered elsewhere.
rogypop

Fullrange-ish drivers for bass guitar

#1 Post by rogypop »

Hi guys, lately I have found that midrange and lower treble are much more important for my stage sound than low end extension which I mostly cut to avoid excess rumble and phase issues. I have also found that I prefer guitar speaker top end over dedicated bass guitar speakers. Of course I am aware of the fact that drivers that go low and loud dont reach up high and vice versa.
But maybe there could be a tradeoff to cover just enough range and push enough air to be useful in relatively loud rock band for 4 string bass guitar.
Eminence beta 12lta in sealed 4x12, staggered baffle configuration.

I have run the numbers through winisd and found that it models quite simmilar to classic 810 fridge with gradual rollof, slight midbass hump and f3 in mid 70's while having about 3db less in max output due to the lowish xmax of beta 12lta.
Could this make for a good vintage sounding cab or am I missing something? Thank you.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Fullrange-ish drivers for bass guitar

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

WinISD is only accurate up to 400Hz at best, so in order to make a valid comparison of drivers you need to use WinISD for the lows through lower midrange, the driver data sheet SPL charts for above that. The Beta 12LT does have very good mids, but with only 3.2mm xmax it's not great as far as maximum SPL in the lows is concerned. If you don't care about LF SPL then it might work well for you. However, if you want good mids and highs a staggered baffle 4x12 is a bad idea. I'd use a vertical 2x12, two of them stacked if you need it.

rogypop

#3 Post by rogypop »

Thank you Bill for you quick answer! I prefer to have strong lows in 70-100hz region but coherent and clear mids above that. Was thinking of low passing one of the vertical pairs of 12's to widen the dispersion. So far i have been using my diy 15/6 consisting of kappa 15lfa and alpha 6cbmra crossed over at 1.4 khz. With f3 at 50hz that cab digs quite deep for my needs but lacks that midrange slam.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Low passing one of the vertical pairs helps with dispersion, but not with getting the cab in and out of your car or up a flight of stairs. :cussing:

rogypop

#5 Post by rogypop »

Haha true that but I want a cab that i can tuck and roll and slide to the car boot, stairs are another story though.