Finally got myself some lights in the mail

Anything not covered elsewhere.
eshadeol

Finally got myself some lights in the mail

#1 Post by eshadeol »

Hopefully withstanding delivery abuse.

My concern is I'm outdoors with zero atmospherics, planning on getting a fogger or hazer under 500$-450$.

Anyone have experience using fogger or hazers. I don't want to buy 2 hazers just yet , but it seems like two high powered hazers might be my best bet especially given the occasional slight breeze (ever so slight) , not expecting any machine to provide enough lingering columns of haze or fog if there's a constant breeze or every 30 seconds of a slight breeze. Breeze, breeze , breeze, jeez.

Thanks, I know most of you might be busy looking at the other posts about speakers on the forum, but hopefully someone sees this post, who has the experience.
Defy the vortex -of mediocre-second rate bass- produced by mongrels- devoid of taste!
A beautiful lyric from : Maggotron "In Search of a Funky Khan"
4 T60 27" lab15,Omni TB 2 BP102,AutoTubaMCM 10"

J_Dunavin

Re: Finally got myself some lights in the mail

#2 Post by J_Dunavin »

Yup I always have trouble with fog outdoors.
Guess the question is what your trying to accomplish?
What’s the venue like, live music, DJ, stage...?
If you are looking to add atmosphere so you can actually see the moving heads then you’ll need a lot for outdoors, but I think your ok with your price point. Maybe even two smaller ones, just play around with placement... and pray for no wind 😀
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

eshadeol

#3 Post by eshadeol »

Ok. Glad someone is active on the site - particularly (Everything ELSE).

I'm trying to get my beams to be highly visible.
Defy the vortex -of mediocre-second rate bass- produced by mongrels- devoid of taste!

J_Dunavin

#4 Post by J_Dunavin »

I know right! the poor everything else section :lol:

What lights did you get, and what are you currently using to control them? I ask because you may want to look at smoke or haze with a DMX option, so you can remote trigger them.
How big is the area?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

T_Gowan

#5 Post by T_Gowan »

Check out the American DJ Entour Faze, https://www.adj.com/entour-faze
Seems like the price is good, fast warmup , water base, compact, DMX. Not too power hungry either.
It's what I have on my wish list anyway.
DR200 x2
T24 16" x2
T39 20" x2
DCX2496
DEQ2496 x2
FBQ2496
Mackie DL1608

eshadeol

#6 Post by eshadeol »

J_Dunavin wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:48 pm I know right! the poor everything else section :lol:

What lights did you get, and what are you currently using to control them? I ask because you may want to look at smoke or haze with a DMX option, so you can remote trigger them.
How big is the area?

Chauvet intimidator scan 315 irc SCANNER, particularly for their rotating gobos function , suprising theirs only a few videos on them. I'm trying to avoid DMX and do everything remotely for now but have the option one my laptop becomes outdated eI have to get a smaller laptop with higher power later on - way later,,, so then my big clunky laptop becomes my DMX light show duty. The system i use with T60'S and now lighting is for an area of about 20 x 10sq. ft.... Very small , only for my fun , I'm not a DJ , just a hobbyist :( , , but willing to help a family member or friend out with a wedding, but, I'd hate the responsibility of doing a wedding, people are usually nervous , edgy, and I can't handle all that stress.... But ,20 x 10ft.

J_Dunavin

#7 Post by J_Dunavin »

Nice lights!
I bought 8 older ADJ pockets scans that I fixed up, replaced mirrors, power supplies, fans, etc.
Ok a wedding event is TOTALLY different! I know it’s hard but you may want to dial down the smoke effect.
Is this on a tent or straight up outside?
Do you have any flood lights?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

eshadeol

#8 Post by eshadeol »

T_Gowan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:17 pm Check out the American DJ Entour Faze, https://www.adj.com/entour-faze
Seems like the price is good, fast warmup , water base, compact, DMX. Not too power hungry either.
It's what I have on my wish list anyway.

Sorry , saw your post - quick replied to other bfm brother and got a little busy. I'll definitely check it out- fazer.

eshadeol

#9 Post by eshadeol »

J_Dunavin wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 pm Nice lights!
I bought 8 older ADJ pockets scans that I fixed up, replaced mirrors, power supplies, fans, etc.
Ok a wedding event is TOTALLY different! I know it’s hard but you may want to dial down the smoke effect.
Is this on a tent or straight up outside?
Do you have any flood lights?
No tent , yah I forgot to mention that I have
2 Chauvet FX wash lights with a pretty good amount of output, i always set them to red and blue or just all blue.

I've brought all my gear to 2 different weddings, had a playlist and went from that, one was in a mountain camp site reserved, the other at a huge ballroom with a band setup to play between the actual DJ, who was on my equipment but didn't play anything and utilized a streaming mix from modern pop music. I just fine tuned and cranked the volume here and there, a pretty big lighting technician came in with 2K$ or above per fixture lights. I only DJed for 4-6 songs at the mountain wedding, the DJ at the ballroom were related and wanted to dj but got lazy and dropped a pandora playthrough. Tbh it sounded like we actually had a DJ there :D

Straight up outside.

Gotta love fixing lights.

Tom Smit

#10 Post by Tom Smit »

I remember yeeeaaaars ago, on this site, that there was a discussion concerning foggers versus hazers. Strong favour went to the hazers (because of less oil in the air?).
TomS

eshadeol

#11 Post by eshadeol »

Keeping that in mind Tom , I'm getting there, and I keep settling on haze after a few debates back and forth in my mind, but something keeps dragging me torwards this headline from here------> https://www.rosco.com/spectrum/index.ph ... -outdoors/

But they might have a vested interest, OR NOT, in selling a specific machine. Lots of fog, hmph, fog might dissipate regardless of how much you throw into the area, and haze seems to linger better. Maybe for photography that'd be ok, but for continuous songs for 2hrs, sounds like lots of fog.

Tom Smit

#12 Post by Tom Smit »

Reading the article, it seems that haze is better for indoors. That specific fogger with the specific fluid (Roscoe's original Fog Fluid) seems to the item needed for outdoors.
TomS

dswpro

#13 Post by dswpro »

My friend just picked up a MARQ 700 hazer he is very happy with. I have seen it in action (indoors) produce a nice even haze
I'm about to toss my 3 Chauvet fog machines and pick one up. Had nothing but problems with the Chauvets.

eshadeol

#14 Post by eshadeol »

Tom Smit wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 am That specific fogger with the specific fluid (Roscoe's original Fog Fluid) seems to the item needed for outdoors.
That fogger is hard to find anyway, They probably make them in small batches. I'll probably go with a hazer -Antari 350 specs say something about 2000 sq per min @ 1 minute squared, whatever, ADJ and Chauvet have 1000 sq ft. and 4000 sq ft., but Antari seems like a more robust unit.

I don't know, seems like the reviewers over at Amazon who purchased the Antari 350 are pros @2 /10 , and are somewhat repair / technicians who probably don't want to repair things which break easily. Sometimes you can tell that people are just being brand loyal vs actually liking a product and writing a review out of sheer awesomeness.

NukePooch

#15 Post by NukePooch »

Tom Smit wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 am Reading the article, it seems that haze is better for indoors. That specific fogger with the specific fluid (Roscoe's original Fog Fluid) seems to the item needed for outdoors.
Haze will go away almost immediately if there is any sort of air movement, indoors our out. An HVAC unit turning on will clear things up in a hurry. Outdoors? You'd better be prepared to spend LOTS of money to get anything worthwhile. Hazers are also slow. You usually need to run them for hours pre-gig in order to have the venue loaded up for showtime. Again, one slight breeze and/or HVAC fan and you've lost it all.

If I was going to do exclusively outside shows, I'd not get anything at all until I had a KILLER lighting and video rig. Then I'd look at hi-powered smoke machines (plural) for effects. Indoors, I'd be looking first at smoke machines (again, two at minimum). Unless you're in a tiny venue, the coverage from multiple machines is welcomed. Also, they're generally not very reliable, so multiple backups are nice.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF