Rackstuds

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Tom Smit

Rackstuds

#1 Post by Tom Smit »

I just found out about this system of mounting equipment to a rack, so, I thought I'd share it. It seems to be a lot easier way of installing a piece of equipment onto a rack.
https://rackstuds.com/
TomS

Signalsdrone

Re: Rackstuds

#2 Post by Signalsdrone »

Whoa, that's a great design. I've been there many times trying to hold a heavy power supply up with one hand and cursing when finding out that the hole on the other side is cross-threaded. I think I'll pass this along to the guys at work. This could save somebody from getting injured in the future.

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 »

What a brilliant idea! And I just bought pack of new rack nuts and bolts. Since I have a 3D printer I think I can design and print some up. Which in the near future I'm gonna post something special about my latest build.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I've never seen those kind of rack rails in pro audio. That looks more like computer/communications gear.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

djamps

#5 Post by djamps »

Are they really made of plastic? If so, that's an accident waiting to happen.

jimbo7

#6 Post by jimbo7 »

You guys got a point. Probably wouldn't be very good for my older iron amps. :roll:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

jimbo7 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:18 pm You guys got a point. Probably wouldn't be very good for my older iron amps. :roll:
I doubt seriously that you have a rolling rack with rack rails that have square holes.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

T_Gowan

#8 Post by T_Gowan »

Had a K&M rolling rack in my studio that had the square hole. And worked for a company that did custom setups with enclosures form Rittal. All European ??
DR200 x2
T24 16" x2
T39 20" x2
DCX2496
DEQ2496 x2
FBQ2496
Mackie DL1608

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

T_Gowan wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:31 pm Had a K&M rolling rack in my studio that had the square hole. And worked for a company that did custom setups with enclosures form Rittal. All European ??
In my decades of doing this, I've never seen a square hole rail on a pro sound live rig. I think it's great for the networking guys....they use light gear.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

himhimself

#10 Post by himhimself »

I like the idea of being able to set the equipment onto a stud instead of having to balance it over the holes while starting the threads. Never really thought about this before, but you could thread bolts through from the backside with lock washers, snug them down, and then spin a nut on from the front. Maybe just for two of the mounts if there are 4 or more, just to make the initial mounting easier. Or just get a mate to hold the gear in place...
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 am I like the idea of being able to set the equipment onto a stud instead of having to balance it over the holes while starting the threads. Never really thought about this before, but you could thread bolts through from the backside with lock washers, snug them down, and then spin a nut on from the front. Maybe just for two of the mounts if there are 4 or more, just to make the initial mounting easier. Or just get a mate to hold the gear in place...
Having racked a ton of gear in my days....... trying to get a standard nut on a stud sticking through would be really hard with some of the amps that have protrusions in the front. Plus, you'd have to screw in the stud from the back as the standard rails are threaded. And you'd need a socket to tighten them....

Just start at the bottom of the rack and work up. Each piece then helps support the next one.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Signalsdrone

#12 Post by Signalsdrone »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:46 am
himhimself wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:35 am I like the idea of being able to set the equipment onto a stud instead of having to balance it over the holes while starting the threads. Never really thought about this before, but you could thread bolts through from the backside with lock washers, snug them down, and then spin a nut on from the front. Maybe just for two of the mounts if there are 4 or more, just to make the initial mounting easier. Or just get a mate to hold the gear in place...
Having racked a ton of gear in my days....... trying to get a standard nut on a stud sticking through would be really hard with some of the amps that have protrusions in the front. Plus, you'd have to screw in the stud from the back as the standard rails are threaded. And you'd need a socket to tighten them....

Just start at the bottom of the rack and work up. Each piece then helps support the next one.
That works great until you need an air space between the components for cooling purposes.

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Signalsdrone wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:16 pm

That works great until you need an air space between the components for cooling purposes.

Amps do their breathing through the front and back and should be stacked together to create better airflow according to all the manufacturers that I've ever seen. Most of today's outboard gear - driveracks, EQs, etc. don't have any vents on top or bottom. So, stack 'em up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Signalsdrone

#14 Post by Signalsdrone »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:13 pm
Signalsdrone wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Amps do their breathing through the front and back and should be stacked together to create better airflow according to all the manufacturers that I've ever seen. Most of today's outboard gear - driveracks, EQs, etc. don't have any vents on top or bottom. So, stack 'em up.
I wasn't talking amps. I work with radios, fiber optic chassis, power supplies, routers / servers and other communications electronics. All of which comes in the standard size for racking.

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Signalsdrone wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:27 pm
I wasn't talking amps. I work with radios, fiber optic chassis, power supplies, routers / servers and other communications electronics. All of which comes in the standard size for racking.
I see......this being an audio site, I assumed that was what we were talking about.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210