"Immersive audio"

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Strange Kevin

"Immersive audio"

#1 Post by Strange Kevin »

Imersive audio, 3D, 360, surround sound - what ever you want to call it. :fruit:

What do you guys think?
Specifically for live sound performances, is it the "Amazing new technology" they say it is or is it just an Amazing new way to sell more speakers? I tend to lean more towards the latter...

Dont get me wrong, it looks fun and could definitely be beneficial in some areas like live theater. But with a four or five piece rock band??? I'm not buying the hype. All I see is massive balance and phaseing/delay issues...

Say I have 5 PA stacks spread across the top of the stage from left to right.
( Like the suggestion about half way down this link. )
http://www.l-isa-immersive.com/hyperreal-sound/

If I put the majority of the rhythm guitar in stack 2 (near the left) and the lead Guitarist mainly is stack 4. Would I not have too much of one guitar over the other depending on where I was standing in the room, as well as timing and masking problems with being closer to one pa than the the other? - for the same reason most systems are run in mono even though you have a stack to the left and right of the stage?

Back to the illustration, I guess it could be fun panning the the little Sax player as he runs around stage, but as far as adding depth or space to a rock band mix for a larger audience by adding more speaker.... I'm having trouble with that idea.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

88h88

Re: "Immersive audio"

#2 Post by 88h88 »

This popped up a while back when Dolby Atmos became a thing. I imagine it's a cool gimmick but obviously better with pre-recorded stuff where you can move sound around easier.

https://ukf.com/words/dolby-atmos-the-r ... stem/15029

https://youtu.be/lMR5iWG1UI4

2manydjs run a soundsystem called Despacio which they cart around to venues which is I think 6 stacks in a circular pattern around the dance floor. From the reviews I've read people try to get into the centre of the room because it's the only place where you don't get delay from the other stacks... Sounds nightmarish.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

If I put the majority of the rhythm guitar in stack 2 (near the left) and the lead Guitarist mainly is stack 4. Would I not have too much of one guitar over the other depending on where I was standing in the room, as well as timing and masking problems with being closer to one pa than the the other? - for the same reason most systems are run in mono even though you have a stack to the left and right of the stage?
Think backwards for a minute.
If you went to a band gig where it was basically the band with a vocal PA, what would you hear if standing somewhere near the stage, but moving around?
One guitar over the other, depending on where you're standing. Drums might sound like they're in the centre, etc etc.

Now back to your observation.
It's been hyped to justify the cost...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Strange Kevin

#5 Post by Strange Kevin »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was guessing. Too bad I can't find any Actual science as to why it would be better...

I think suround sound could work pretty well in certain clubs with EDM and what not if set up properly, but it would definitely take a lot of extra work from the DJ that would play there. At least until everyone decided to stick to a format and create content around that...

On a side note, from the same company I linked to earlier,
But from their more personal audio side.
http://www.l-isa-immersive.com/private-products/#island
The Island - looks like it could be a fun project.
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.