I need a good handheld tone generator

Anything not covered elsewhere.
RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

I need a good handheld tone generator

#1 Post by RubiconProSound »

I'm looking for a small handheld tone generator for breaking in subs and field testing. Back in my car stereo days I used to have a Rockford OSC2. It was a great little unit that had pink noise and adjustable sine wave output but nobody seems to make one similar anymore.

I've seen the cheap PAC unit but the tone is more square wave and it's cheap. Rolls has their MO2020 but you need a wall wart to run it, no onboard battery. Does anyone have any ideas?

...and yes, I know you can get apps for the phone but I use my phone for work, and I need to be able to break in my subs at home while I'm at work. :wink:
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,

dswpro

Re: I need a good handheld tone generator

#2 Post by dswpro »

Buy a used Android phone on Craigslist or pick up a new cheap android tablet at a store. You do not have to activate the phone onto a cell network to use WiFi or run apps. Then use Audio tool app, it has a decent generator. Will not give you a "reference" level but fine for breaking in drivers and playing music. Or download Goldwave for the PC to create wave files of test tones and loop playback from your computer or a laptop.

bitSmasher

#3 Post by bitSmasher »

Another vote for a cheap phone... I have a few that I keep around, for use as music playback on a portable bluetooth speaker or a tone generator in the workshop.
They're cheaper and more readily available than other dedicated options!

himhimself

#4 Post by himhimself »

Definitely a cheap spare smart phone. I have a dbx PA2 and my phone works great with that app, too. I just have a cheap little router in the rack, since you need to connect via wifi, not Bluetooth.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

#5 Post by RubiconProSound »

I think I have an old phone floating around in a drawer somewhere with a busted digitizer screen... maybe I'll replace the screen and use it.

Thanks guys.
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,

bitSmasher

#6 Post by bitSmasher »

To add to this, depending what phone you use they can run a USB audio interface with the right cable (USB-OTG for Android or Camera Connection Kit for Apple)
That does take a bit of research and playing around but can expand the usage