12v Ceremony System

Anything not covered elsewhere.
CosmicTech

12v Ceremony System

#1 Post by CosmicTech »

I'm wanting to come up with a way of providing remote ceremony music using cabs I have or plan to build. I'm thinking of using a 20" T39 loaded with a 3012 and a SLA Pro. The amplifier I want to use is a 4-channel automotive amplifier with a variable 50Hz-200Hz, -12dB/oct high or low pass filter on each output pair. The amplifier is rated at 100 watts RMS bridged under a 8 ohm load. Will I have any issues with the T39 if I do not have a limiter in line? This amplifier will not reach the 56v limit of the 3012 anyway. Asking to be safe :D and not sorry :shock: ....

bitSmasher

Re: 12v Ceremony System

#2 Post by bitSmasher »

What amp is it? Ideally if using a car amp you'd want it to be a Class-D model.
These are much more efficient, which is important when using batteries.

On the batteries, look at SLA cells used in alarm/fire systems and power backup, a car battery is no good for stand alone use.

The amps inbuilt crossover will work, but it's only 12db/oct - this is fairly shallow, and given the output of the T39 rises with frequency you may have to set the crossover at the absolute lowest for the filter to provide proper acoustic crossover. That said, you're outdoors so upper bass is of more value to you than trying to produce 50hz.

I wouldn't see a need for limiting, you won't produce enough peak let alone constant voltage to kill the driver - but do consider a MiniDSP or similar for EQ and crossover. Or at least a dedicated crossover unit, as the amp will suffice but may not be satisfactory.

NukePooch

#3 Post by NukePooch »

I've been tossing around much the same idea. I need a rugged simple battery powered one-box system that can be dragged along to simple events, and set up/used by those who don't know what they're doing. I could buy a battery-powered power speaker, but where's the fun in that? I'm thinking more of an airhead Jack with a tiny mono amp, wireless mic, and preamp/mixer/EQ running off a couple small SLA batteries... I've got two ION Tailgaters, which work wonderfully, but I need a super-sized version of it...

My thoughts as to your ideas...

First, SLA Pros aren't as efficient as some of Mr Bill's other designs. They get loud (from what I've heard) but they need a lot of power to do so. A more efficient design (Jack or OTop) would squeeze more loudness out of tiny power.

Second, subs/low-end take a lot more power to run. Do you absolutely need to have a sub? What specifically are your needs? What volume do you need and how long of runtime are you expecting? When you mentioned "remote ceremony music" it sounds like background music for a wedding or event?

Third, car amps actually run on 13.8v or higher (when the car is on). @12v, they will usually put out less-than-advertised power. They also will suck a lot of juice, so you'll need a big battery to get decent runtime. I think you'd kill SLA batteries pretty quick. I'm actually thinking you'll need a large deep-cycle marine battery if you're running multiple channels and thumping subs. Similar spec'd amps have 30+ amp fuses and require 8ga wiring...

Also, what will you run for a pre-amp/mixer/processing? Music source? Microphone? (all of which might need to be run off battery). I do agree with what BitSmasher wrote above, especially the MiniDSP idea. Been looking into that myself...
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

CosmicTech

#4 Post by CosmicTech »

Thanks for you input guys! The amplifier I plan to use is the Kenwood KAC‑M3004 which is a Class D amp. It is compact with enough power to do what I want. I've read reviews and watched videos of this amplifier being tested. It actually exceeded it's rated output. Hopefully 12v will still give me what I need.

My music source would be a tablet. The mixer would be something small like a MX51 Mini-Mix 2. The wireless mic may not be needed but if so a small 12v battery pack would keep it going. I was considering a miniDSP if the amplifier's crossover didn't suffice. I may try this without the miniDSP at first.

I've considered a Jack or OTop but I would like to have the option of a smaller or less obtrusive profile if used for a wedding ceremony. Adding the T39 is just an idea to provide a fuller sound. I've heard some ceremony systems that just didn't cut it. I already have a pair of American Audio ELS GO 8BT battery powered speakers that I have used in the past.

There is the option of just buying something like a Maui 5 Go, but the last thing I want is a $1000 "specialized" tool. I would rather come up with a solution to utilize the tools I already have.

RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

#5 Post by RubiconProSound »

Cosmic,
I'm currently working on a revised version of my 12 volt system, link here: https://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vie ... hp?t=23799

I'm adding a mini DSP to the rig for EQ and you should know I'm also currently running T39's and SLA pro's off of it with no problem. I have an outdoor gig coming up in August out in the forest on the Rubicon trial (...go figure) and I hope to put together a video showing the rig as well as a review. This event will be background music with announcements. Ceremonies don't require as much volume as the reception so the SLA pro's should be fine even though they aren't as efficient as the other designs.

I saw your PM, sorry I didn't get back to you. I'll post up the results soon.
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,