Hi pass filter vs mini dsp

Anything not covered elsewhere.
modernprimitive

Hi pass filter vs mini dsp

#1 Post by modernprimitive »

I have been debating on whether I should use a high pass filter or a mini dsp for my subwoofer. Right now I have a single direct radiator in a ported cabinet. But eventually I want at least 2, "if not 4 folded horns.

With that in mind, I shifted more towards a mini dsp 2x4. But I don't know which one would be best. I don't know anything about them, nor do I know anyone personally that has one. I want to make sure that output voltage will be compatible with my sub amps.

Thanks in advance
Onkyo TX-NR818, SHS Audio SA2500, Cleanbox pro, Cerwin-Vega LS12s, Cerwin-Vega E-76 C, Cerwin-Vega H.E.D. 15" dvc driver in custom enclosure.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Hi pass filter vs mini dsp

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

When asking questions always reference what speakers you're talking about. As I recall you're doing THT. They don't need high passing. If they did it would be in the plans. Besides, the functions of a high pass filter and a mini DSP are totally different.

modernprimitive

#3 Post by modernprimitive »

Sorry. Yes, I want to build either 2 THT or 2 THTLP as soon as I can. I'm just trying to find time to build them.

Right now I have a Cerwin Vega 15" in a custom ported cabinet, for my sub. It works great for music, and most movies, but it bottoms out with some movies. I had read on another forum that instead of using a high pass filter to cut it off @ 20hz, that I should get a mini dsp. So based on that advice, I figured that I if I got a mini dsp to high pass my current sub, then it would work for any other sub that I built in the future.
Onkyo TX-NR818, SHS Audio SA2500, Cleanbox pro, Cerwin-Vega LS12s, Cerwin-Vega E-76 C, Cerwin-Vega H.E.D. 15" dvc driver in custom enclosure.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

THT doesn't unload like ported cabs, so no high pass is required.

modernprimitive

#5 Post by modernprimitive »

OK. Cool. Thank you. That's one less thing that I need to worry about.