Excessive ads on the mobile site (this post contains large images)

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Excessive ads on the mobile site (this post contains large images)

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I can block specific ads, but I need a URL to do it. You can too, click on the X in the corner of the ad. As far as ad content is concerned there are far fewer here than just about any other forum you can find, because we only use them to support the costs of maintaining the site, whereas other forums use them to support the forum owners. If there's a better way I'm open to suggestion.

BrentEvans

#17 Post by BrentEvans »

I’ll track anything that comes up.

As to a better way, The concept of sponsorship seems to fit pretty well... there is a very specific demographic of customer that visits this site. I’m obviously not sure what you need to take to keep it running, or what the traffic is, but you would seem to have several opportunities for sponsors. The website, and then separately the forum main page could be sponsored by a company like Parts Express, eminence, Sweetwater, B&H, Full compass, adorama, etc, and/or have sections or individual groups sponsored by such companies. If you needed $5,000 per year, and got 2500 page views per day, the cpm would be 5.5, which is on the high side for something like adsense, but shouldn’t be out of line for a targeted audience, and would result in you keeping 100% of the ad revenue paid to advertise on your site. Using Adsense, you’re only getting a portion.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I've investigated those, they only pay when a click from the site results in a sale. That's how the Parts Express ads work, and they pay out less than $10 a month. I keep the Parts Express ad here not for the money but for the convenience of our members. Of all the options available Google ads are the least obtrusive. Compare the two or three ads per page here with DIY Audio, where my ad blocker says there are 8 ads on the front page, or talkbass, where there are sixteen, or home theater shack, where there are twenty nine. BTW, Google ads have been here since day one. The only thing that's changed is that they're now being displayed other than just at the bottom of the page, where they tended to be ignored. The number of page views since we made that change is the same as before. What has gone up is the number of clicks on the ads, which people would only do if the ad was of interest to them. And if not, just ignore it.

Stratispho

#19 Post by Stratispho »

I run a rasberry pi box on my network as a network wide blocker running PiHole software. Only works at home (or if you run your mobile through your VPN) but it is quick and easy to set up and should be less than $40.

https://pi-hole.net/

https://lifehacker.com/create-a-network ... 1727295925
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
9 driver Curved SLA center channel
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears
Table Tuba w/ MCM 55-2421

BrentEvans

#20 Post by BrentEvans »

https://www.arabiandate.com/meetarabian ... gJ1zPD_BwE

I cannot count the number of ways this one is offensive.

And for the record, there is absolutely no reason that I should be targeted with this type of ad.
Attachments
1F91F0B5-891C-484E-B2A9-55B1B83E4562.png
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.