Vintage Sam Ash 4x12 Bass Guitar cabinets from 1970

Anything not covered elsewhere.
soundprophet

Vintage Sam Ash 4x12 Bass Guitar cabinets from 1970

#1 Post by soundprophet »

Hi Bill /forum members this is Joe, seen you Bill for years on multiple forums, big fan of yours....I just got these "Sam Ash" branded bass cabs here on Long Island, they have 4 Eminence alnico 12" speakers in each cab in staggered pattern, the ones with the larger dustcovers / large u-shaped magnets , they sound amazing!  The cabs measure roughly
44" x 26" x15"d and are heavy particle board. They are from 1972 according to speaker date codes My main question for you is-
-one cab seems to have an air leak/creaking sound on the right side of the front baffle area, I believe its the cab not the speaker....can I line the inside joint with silicone, or something else, to fix the leak?
Also, have you ever heard of these, or have any idea who made them? The speakers really sound good to me, dont know if they are anything special, any info/ response from would be great!

*** Update ...I repaired the cabinet by using a few small L shaped brackets (corner braces) along the inside of the cab between baffle and sidewalls...100 percent fixed! Great tone out of these..most likely made for Sam Ash by Oliver Sound Co....
Last edited by soundprophet on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Vintage Sam Ash 4x12 Bass Guitar cabinets from 1970

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Those are pretty. Love old vintage gear.....has that retro vibe. Great to look at - don't want to haul it around.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

soundprophet

Re: Vintage Sam Ash 4x12 Bass Guitar cabinets from 1970

#3 Post by soundprophet »

They are indeed quite heavy....but the casters work really good...!