Can you Bi-Amp with a Lepai

Anything not covered elsewhere.
y2kindyz

Can you Bi-Amp with a Lepai

#1 Post by y2kindyz »

While building my J15 for my wifes Zumba class, I got to thinking " I have a 2.1 Lepai amp, can I use it to Bi-Amp a J15 with dual CD?"
So I was thinking if I use the .1 to push the woofer and the 2 channels to push the 2 CD's. I know I will have to put a toggle switch to split the CD's and isolate the xover.

Is something like this possible? Or am I wasting my time? Reason for thinking was to use as a boom box with a battery on picnics and trips to the beach.

Thanks,

Oscar

Tom Smit

Re: Can you Bi-Amp with a Lepai

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

That may be a possibility, however, I think that the tweets would over-run the woofer. The tweets should be in series on one channel with their own filter, and the woofer on the sub woofer channel with it's own filter.
TomS

bitSmasher

#3 Post by bitSmasher »

Doubt there'd be any performance advantage running CDs on their own channel unless you have a DSP crossover... also what crossover does the amp have?
Many of those cheaper models have a basic 12db/oct low pass on sub, and full range on mains. That'd be useless for your purpose.
If anything, get a small single channel 12v amp (even a Class d car amp, though they're not as efficient ) and keep it simple.

ncgrove

#4 Post by ncgrove »

Just use the recommended passive crossover in the cab. No need for biamping for beach duty. Look into a miniDSP to put in front of the Lepai to smooth out the high end and get rid of unneeded low frequencies. Bring an umbrella or something to shade the amp as it will get extremely hot sitting in the sun. If you use a 12ah SLA battery as a power source you'll run out of beer before you run out of music.

And be mentally prepared to never be able to get all the sand out of the cab. It's been a few years now and I still have quite a bit of Padre Island in my J15L.

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

ncgrove wrote:And be mentally prepared to never be able to get all the sand out of the cab. It's been a few years now and I still have quite a bit of Padre Island in my J15L.
While you can't completely stop sand from entering, Thinking about how to deal with it now, during construction, can help. I would start by "painting" the interior with thinned DuraTex, making sure all the bare wood is covered. Make the H.F. Array removable, use a water-proof coating on the woofer cone, and use foam instead of fiber-fill for the dampening. Bring a 48" long dowel, sharpened at one end, drive it ~28" into the sand, leaving the J15 ~18" above the sand.

Since I have a pick-up truck, I'd do 2 SLA Pro minis and a pair of T39s. 2 12V deep cycle batteries, a mini-DSP and 2 mono block amps later, and you have ranger-alerting loud! :shock: :twisted: :wall: :fruit:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

David Raehn

#6 Post by David Raehn »

Would making up a spandex cover help with the sand issue?

Kind of like "Speaker Spanx".....
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

y2kindyz

#7 Post by y2kindyz »

Thanks for the replies. Once I get it done I will try to run it on 1 channel thru the xover and see what happens. If it works, great. It was a only a few buck for the 20 watts. Thank for the spandex tip. Something I will try.

Is it possible to insert a foam plug to go into the top and bottom ports made out of the dampening foam? I wonder if it would affect SQ and loudness?

DJPhatman

#8 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:Is it possible to insert a foam plug to go into the top and bottom ports made out of the dampening foam? I wonder if it would affect SQ and loudness?
The ports are just that, ports. :cop: Don't block them, as you will be changing the tuning of the cab, and not for the good! :roll:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

David Raehn wrote: Kind of like "Speaker Spanx".....
OOh Leeeelaaaand.....
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

y2kindyz

#10 Post by y2kindyz »

BrentEvans wrote:
OOh Leeeelaaaand.....
Hey Leland I see a new possible revenue stream spandex speaker covers. David gets royalties. LOL. I vote for a custom BF logo cover to get the ball rolling

DJPhatman

#11 Post by DJPhatman »

y2kindyz wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:
OOh Leeeelaaaand.....
Hey Leland I see a new possible revenue stream spandex speaker covers. David gets royalties. LOL. I vote for a custom BF logo cover to get the ball rolling
I don't really wanna see Bill's butt-cheeks stuffed in Spanx! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :oops: :lol: :cop:

David Raehn

#12 Post by David Raehn »

Cellulite aside, white ones would make most of Bill's designs more wedding and corporate friendly....
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

BrentEvans

#13 Post by BrentEvans »

DJPhatman wrote: I don't really wanna see Bill's butt-cheeks stuffed in Spanx! :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :oops: :lol: :cop:
Dude.. Don't give me a second heart attacK... Just got done with one... Don't need THAT in my head
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

DJPhatman

#14 Post by DJPhatman »

BrentEvans wrote:Dude.. Don't give me a second heart attacK... Just got done with one... Don't need THAT in my head

BrentEvans

#15 Post by BrentEvans »

DJPhatman wrote:
BrentEvans wrote:Dude.. Don't give me a second heart attacK... Just got done with one... Don't need THAT in my head
Nah, pass. I'm still getting the tape off of me from the defibrillator pads in the cath lab. Darn sticky stuff.

And may I say to anyone considering having one, heart attacks hurt like... well... they hurt. I highly recommended against them.

HIGHLY.