Solo Gig Rig - Advice

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Solo Gig Rig - Advice

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote:
NeilD321 wrote:I think I just found what I've been looking for https://djcity.com.au/product/skytec-st ... -pa-mixer/ :hyper:

and I just ordered the SLA Pro plans...
Skytec.
I'v really only seen that brand at DJ city.
See if you can find some reviews.
I would hate to think the 300W/channel means peak power!

Then search Yamaha EMX on aussie ebay.
7 band EQ not 5, genuine output figures. Configurable for mains and monitor.
I've used these with lots of bands...
Gotta' agree with Grant here.

The biggest problem I see with it is that there is only two band EQ on the channels.....80hz and 12khz. With no mid control, dialing in your voice and acoustic guitar is tough. The graphic EQ is to shape the sound in the room, but you need at least 3 band EQ on the channels.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#17 Post by Grant Bunter »

NeilD321 wrote:Thanks Grant, checking now (although the first one I've found is 2 and a half times the price!!)
I know $ often seal the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DJPhatman

#18 Post by DJPhatman »

Grant Bunter wrote:I know $ often seal the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense...
Here, here! Adding this quote to my signature!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

NeilD321

#19 Post by NeilD321 »

OK, OK, I'll dump the skytec idea :noob:

and I'm well aware that I'll notice the quality long after the pain of the price has gone...

Maybe something like this is a decent compromise between price and quality? https://djcity.com.au/product/behringer ... -pa-mixer/

It has rack mounts so putting it in a box will be easy and only weighs 4.5 Kg

Think what I'll do is build the SLA Pros and then take them to a shop and try a couple of amps out (and prolly get a Yamaha) :ugeek:

Thanks everyone.
Happy building.
Stupidity should be painful
2 * SLA, 2 * Curved SLA, 2 * Tuba 18, 1 * XF212, 4 * Jack12, 2 * SLA Mini

DJPhatman

#20 Post by DJPhatman »

NeilD321 wrote:Maybe something like this is a decent compromise between price and quality? https://djcity.com.au/product/behringer ... -pa-mixer/
I would pass on it simply because it only has 1/4" (6.35mm) outputs. I'd be OK with binding posts, or better yet, speakon outputs, but never 1/4" (6.3mm) speaker level...
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

BrentEvans

#21 Post by BrentEvans »

You know, an xr12 and a nu-1000 combo isn't much more than the stuff you're been posting...
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter »

BrentEvans wrote:You know, an xr12 and a nu-1000 combo isn't much more than the stuff you're been posting...
That pair costs about $750 here Brent.
I'd be inclined to go with the Yammy EMX for less money...
Built:

NeilD321

#23 Post by NeilD321 »

I actually have a Behringer 802 lying around somewhere https://djcity.com.au/product/behringer ... -pa-mixer/
Guess I could pair it with an iNuke 1000 which is about $300

Will take up a little more room but that's about all.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

NeilD321

#24 Post by NeilD321 »

and a little more info to read up on.
I was wandering around in cyber space last night and found an SPL chart of the speaker in my current guitar amp
texas-heat.jpg
and here is the SLA Pro's chart
MA12.gif
Given low E is at 82Hz (as shown here)
guitar-table.jpg
I think I'll be very happy with the 6 inch SLAs

Maybe the only issue will be if I use the synth to play a Bass line. time will tell...
Either way I'll have a pair of great little speakers :-)

Grant Bunter

#25 Post by Grant Bunter »

NeilD321 wrote:and a little more info to read up on.
I was wandering around in cyber space last night and found an SPL chart of the speaker in my current guitar amp
texas-heat.jpg
and here is the SLA Pro's chart
MA12.gif
Given low E is at 82Hz (as shown here)
guitar-table.jpg
I think I'll be very happy with the 6 inch SLAs

Maybe the only issue will be if I use the synth to play a Bass line. time will tell...
Either way I'll have a pair of great little speakers :-)
Neil,
Mate, do you sing as well?
If yes, the almost flat response of the SLA's is a great way to start at each venue for room tuning.
A bit of judicious tweaking of the channel strip EQ on your 802 would get you pretty close to the texas heat chart as well if you like that sound.

If you go sans subs, then the SLA's will probably give you no fundamental, but some of the first harmonic, and certainly the second harmonic.
That is no worse than some cheap bass cabs can do lol...
Built:

NeilD321

#26 Post by NeilD321 »

Yep, I do sing (badly) I also have a mate that turns up with his box of harmonicas occasionally.
I'm really looking forward to hearing the Godin/GR55 combo through something other than my Messa Boogie amp. While I love that amp, it's definitely colouring the sound a huge amount. It's a brilliant blues sound with my Strat but that it not what I'm playing now.

I don't have a PA at the moment cos the singer in my old band buggered off and took it with him (well, it was his :P )

What I'm doing now is trying to come up with a box design that will hold the 2 SLAs, a powered mixer, the GR55, the RC300 and a bunch of cords and stuff. A box on wheels that unwraps at the gig but is still light enough to get in the boot.

Will keep you informed of the build.
Maybe a prototype or 2...

mattaudio

#27 Post by mattaudio »

I'd also consider some of the nicer molded or soft sided racks that roll like a suitcase (telescoping handle, possibly pockets for gear). I've found these to be just too darn convenient. You can also usually bungee/ratchet another piece of gear or two to roll on top of it. Additionally, the suitcase style works better for going up and down stairs if that's something you may need to do at certain venues. For example, I have a 1SKB-R4W with an amp and an EQ in front, and a small mixer pre-wired with a subsnake ready to pull out the back. It's not tiny, but it's more mobile than you'd expect.

I could imagine a setup where you had one of these with a 2u power amp and a 2u digital mixer in the front, and a whip with wires ready to go in the back, and space for a backpack full of cables/mics right inside the roto case. Then you could strap a SLA on top and roll in with one move. You could then have a sub on wheels which you could roll in along with other gear when you have a bigger room to play.

NeilD321

#28 Post by NeilD321 »

and I'm back. That was quick - NOT.

Thought I'd give a quick update of where I ended up. Mainly cos I had a heap of fun getting here :-)

I built 2 SLA Mini's and went a gigin'
SLA mini 2.jpg
But they are not low enough for the sounds I was after. Cut a long story short - after lots of trial combinations, I simply shoved one SLA mini on top of one Jack 12 and wholla!!
Gig Rig 2a.jpg

I went with the Behringer. It's fine, fairly light and loud enough. Sure the Yamaha would be better but it does me.

So now I size my rig according to the room and how many people and my mood.
  • 2 SLA Mini's,
  • 1 SLA Mini on 1 Jack 12
  • 2 SLA Minis (stacked) on 1 Jack 12
  • 2 * (1 Sla Mini on 1 Jack 12)
Thanks for everyone's help and comments and as always - thanks to Bill and his designs.

oh - and I discovered we can finally get duratex here in Oz. No wonder you guys like it, it's brilliant :-)

Cheers,
Neil

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#29 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If you had the right tool for the job of handling lows, a Tuba or Titan, the results would be much better.

NeilD321

#30 Post by NeilD321 »

Agree 100% - I have a Tuba 18 on my home theatre upstairs so tried it out. It is better. But it's also heavier and I already bought the amp. Oh well. Still sounds great. Thanks Bill.