Solo Gig Rig - Advice

Anything not covered elsewhere.
NeilD321

Solo Gig Rig - Advice

#1 Post by NeilD321 »

Hi Folks,

I'm after some advice please.
I'm downsizing my gig rig. I'll be playing solo and only playing small rooms.
I'm playing a Godin nylon string midi guitar -> GR55 synth -> RC300 looper -> ???
I only sing occasionally and I play light blues through to ambient (where decent bass is required).

I want to build a gig rig that packs away a small as possible.
Like this sort of thing https://www.jbhifi.com.au/headphones-dj ... tem/90394/

Mainly cos I love to build stuff like this :-)

Is there a BFM combo that would suit?
Maybe a Jack 10 light topped with some SLA micros?
Maybe a small Tuba where the mouth could be used for storage when it's packed up.

and does anybody know an amp/mixer combo that would suit?

I's also love to see some pics of the SLA micros but I cant find any.

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Stupidity should be painful
2 * SLA, 2 * Curved SLA, 2 * Tuba 18, 1 * XF212, 4 * Jack12, 2 * SLA Mini

Bruce Weldy

Re: Solo Gig Rig - Advice

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

A single SLA Pro on a pole behind you is all you need. No need for a sub with that type of guitar. Pick up a small powered head that has a graphic EQ on it and you should be set.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

NukePooch

#3 Post by NukePooch »

I like the wide-coverage melded array, especially if you've got audience close enough to sit in your lap, so I'd lean toward building a Jack or two. Decent low-end as well without subs. (Of course, I'm biased due to the fact that I LOVE my Jacks.)

If you want more knobs to play with, I'd suggest a small rackmount digital mixer (like Behringer XR12), Driverack (not needed with the EQ in a digi mixer, but nice to have, especially if you do add subs), and a lightweight amp in a 4/6-space rack. This is what I'd like to build for tiny gigs (which I seem to do half the time now.)
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans »

You guys missed that it's a midi guitar with synth. The closest thing in the BF line would be a simplex 15 sub and two sla pros with the 4" drivers. I'd pair that with an XR mixer and an Inuke nu4-6000 amp for a cheap light solution. That would leave an amp channel for a w6 too..
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:You guys missed that it's a midi guitar with synth.
Nah, didn't miss it, but based on what he said the venue and audience size are - bottom end probably isn't going to be tolerated much. I figure an SLA will go low enough for that situation.

But, he did mention wanting some bass, so maybe he wants a sub.....but, that really starts to get away from the whole easy to haul and setup idea.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

BrentEvans

#6 Post by BrentEvans »

Nah... a simplex sub with a bottom plate added, built to haul the slas on top, rolled in on casters... that could work. Rack could stack on top.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:Nah... a simplex sub with a bottom plate added, built to haul the slas on top, rolled in on casters... that could work. Rack could stack on top.
Yep, that would work. But I don't even know that I'd have two mains.....in most cases, small rooms end up with the talent in the corner. Put a single cab up behind you - it handles the room and serves as monitor.

I've done a couple of duets lately that way. T24 with a Yamaha SM12V on top. We are in a corner with it behind and between us. Works great and I know just what's coming out of it. Easy load in and out.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

BrentEvans

#8 Post by BrentEvans »

I'd do two mains for when they're needed, and just use one or stack them when a mono placement is better. Heck... what you'd have effectively is an L1, BUT BETTER.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:I'd do two mains for when they're needed, and just use one or stack them when a mono placement is better. Heck... what you'd have effectively is an L1, BUT BETTER.
Ha.....those Bose are ok for solo acoustic and vocal......but nothing else.

That whole concept of every member of the band having one was a disaster.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

NeilD321

#10 Post by NeilD321 »

Well I certainly hadn't considered NOT having a sub but I must admit I'm currently just running through a single 12 inch open back guitar cab and it sounds "OK"ish. Not having a sub would certainly make it weigh less!! I think the 15" is too much. I already have a couple of Jack12s and I want lighter/smaller

"Just" an SLA Pro. Hmm.... I have my SLAs upstairs attached to my TV, Guess I could bring one down and try it. Not exactly the same as the SLA Pro but I assume it would be close?? It would prolly give me a good approximation of what it would sound like.

Any recommendations for a "small powered head that has a graphic EQ on it"??

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

NeilD321 wrote: "Just" an SLA Pro. Hmm.... I have my SLAs upstairs attached to my TV, Guess I could bring one down and try it. Not exactly the same as the SLA Pro but I assume it would be close?? It would prolly give me a good approximation of what it would sound like.

Any recommendations for a "small powered head that has a graphic EQ on it"??
I'm sure the SLA Pro will go lower than the one you have.

As far as a head.....I still have an old Peavey XR600 that works fine in this kind of setup. But, it's heavy. The new Yamahas are nice and I'm sure there are others out there....don't need a lot of power, so go for the smallest with a graphic EQ.

Here's one...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/EMX5 ... d-Mixer.gc

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

NeilD321

#12 Post by NeilD321 »

I think I just found what I've been looking for https://djcity.com.au/product/skytec-st ... -pa-mixer/ :hyper:

and I just ordered the SLA Pro plans...

Grant Bunter

#13 Post by Grant Bunter »

NeilD321 wrote:I think I just found what I've been looking for https://djcity.com.au/product/skytec-st ... -pa-mixer/ :hyper:

and I just ordered the SLA Pro plans...
Skytec.
I'v really only seen that brand at DJ city.
See if you can find some reviews.
I would hate to think the 300W/channel means peak power!

Then search Yamaha EMX on aussie ebay.
7 band EQ not 5, genuine output figures. Configurable for mains and monitor.
I've used these with lots of bands...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

NeilD321

#14 Post by NeilD321 »

Thanks Grant, checking now (although the first one I've found is 2 and a half times the price!!)

Ryan Sober

#15 Post by Ryan Sober »

NeilD321 wrote:Thanks Grant, checking now (although the first one I've found is 2 and a half times the price!!)
Good. Small. Cheap. Pick two.

The Yamaha powered mixers are great. Light, make clean power, sound good.