DuraTex, stain, fabric... what are your thoughts?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Tom Smit

Re: DuraTex, stain, fabric... what are your thoughts?

#16 Post by Tom Smit »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Tom Smit wrote:I don't know how long the covering will last
With pro gear about ten minutes. It's very thin, and will easily rip. It would be OK for a home speaker that's never moved, and never exposed to anything that could damage it, like a vacuum cleaner.
Yeah, I figured as much. :noob:
TomS

nola50

#17 Post by nola50 »

Will the stain cause any issues with the styrofoam? I am wondering if it will deform it.

I know, it's a crazy question!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

On the subject of vinyl, I've come across a new to me product, 3M Di Noc. It's twice the thickness of other vinyl wraps, so obviously it would be more durable. For HT speakers that makes it a real contender. It's not cheap at $6.50/sq ft, but neither is veneer.
The main supplier is Metro Restyling. They sell it direct, and on Amazon, but the best price is on EBay.
This is a link to one color, there's more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-DI-NOC-LIGHT ... 5d670f4155

nola50

#19 Post by nola50 »

Leland... When applying the General Finish gel stain should I use rag or brush for best results?

BTW, I'm leaning toward Black Cherry for the interior and Black Duratex for exterior.

Thanxabunch!

LelandCrooks

#20 Post by LelandCrooks »

I've done both. I like a brush, the wipe down almost immediately with a rag. Deeper look.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

James Champer

#21 Post by James Champer »

nola50 wrote:Leland... When applying the General Finish gel stain should I use rag or brush for best results?

BTW, I'm leaning toward Black Cherry for the interior and Black Duratex for exterior.

Thanxabunch!
Rags are better for stain and stain pre-conditioner (recommended!), not so much for top coats, which an all-in-ones are, essentially.

Pro tip: Stir, don't shake the can. Shaking creates bubbles. Also, slow strokes with a good brush is a must to keep those bubbles at bay as well.
Retired Authorized Loudspeaker Builder - Indianapolis, IN

Diomedes_spear

#22 Post by Diomedes_spear »

Has anyone ever used line-x to coat the cabs? It pricey but works great on truckbeds for protection. Not sure how much weight it would add compared to duratex

DJPhatman

#23 Post by DJPhatman »

Diomedes_spear wrote:Has anyone ever used line-x to coat the cabs? It pricey but works great on truckbeds for protection. Not sure how much weight it would add compared to duratex
There have been a few that have used Line-X, or Rhino-Coat and a few other truck bed spray-on coatings, including the DIY type. They have terrible solvent-based off-gassing, most, if not all, require heat to cure, and they are all quite expensive when compared to DuraTex. The weight would be negligible.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

NukePooch

#24 Post by NukePooch »

I made a couple small monitors years back and coated them in Herculiner truck bed coating. It took forever to harden, and was a mess to put on...It's durable, and looks much the same as when new, but Duratex is so much easier to use that for me, there's nothing better.
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

BrentEvans

#25 Post by BrentEvans »

DJPhatman wrote:
Diomedes_spear wrote:Has anyone ever used line-x to coat the cabs? It pricey but works great on truckbeds for protection. Not sure how much weight it would add compared to duratex
There have been a few that have used Line-X, or Rhino-Coat and a few other truck bed spray-on coatings, including the DIY type. They have terrible solvent-based off-gassing, most, if not all, require heat to cure, and they are all quite expensive when compared to DuraTex. The weight would be negligible.
Line X does not off gas like the diy stuff. While expensive, your cabs will be literally bomb proof. It takes a significant sharp force to even scratch the stuff. It's way better than duratex or any other diy coating. While I don't currently own any line-x coated cabs, I worked around a whole system done in and for stuff that gets carted around, it really is the stuff.

Rattle-bomb packaged bedliners are then worst. Professional rhino is almost as good as line-x but is quite rough to the touch.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.