Parts Express international shipping

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Charles Jenkinson

Parts Express international shipping

#1 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Just bought a stash (110-off) of GRS PZ1016 off Parts Express for the longer term project. The shipping charge came up as $85 - I nearly fell of my chair! Then I noticed it was split into roughly $47 for carriage and $38 for 'import cost' - does anyone know if they mean VAT by that term? - it is roughly (just slightly more than) the 20% purchase tax we pay here in UK on the purchase cost including carriage charge, so I'm hoping I don't get another bill when it lands in the UK to release from customs.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Grant Bunter

Re: Parts Express international shipping

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Charles,
I would contact PE to find out what the charge is for.
Ask them to e-mail the response, and if they try to hit you with duty at your end, you have proof it's paid...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Charles Jenkinson

#3 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Good thinking Grant!

I did that. They've just emailed back saying 'the rate is a landed rate. There will be no additional charges', plus the proper receipt has come through now also showing duties paid as an itemised amount, which makes me a lot more comfortable, and it is indeed economy international shipping. Which makes the tweeters about £1.60 each. Compared with one of Monacor's suggested UK distributors who's best price was over £4 each for 20-off (I'd already tried going direct but they only do B2B sales with 'strict qualifying criteria' - I couldn't be bothered, though there's definitely an import market even for a domestic joe like me - I'm not into buying and selling), ...import was a no brainer.
2xT30

horst

#4 Post by horst »

well when they offer free shipping domestically, and not just PE, someone has to pay for that.
I'm still grumpy for being charged freight (USSpeakers) of $75 each for two 8" woofers that came in one box with the USPS stamp cheerily announcing cost just $36.
It seems unfair but those are their rules.

Charles Jenkinson

#5 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

This is the sort of thing people need to know about horst. I was 50/50 on pressing the buy button after seeing the carriage charge, but quick sums still validated that course of action even if it was all for carriage and no import costs. But when it is pure extortion there has to be another option that could be sorted within a day or so - eg. maybe taking the free shipping internally to some place else and get an economy international shipping rate from there. That option ran through my mind, but it needs to be available without too much hassle.

From what I have briefly read, import duty and sales tax is minimal to nothing for the Aussies...? So, I'm wondering when you say about 'their rules' - makes one want to bend them, and especially for you guys with the high driver costs over there.
2xT30