Thinking longer term

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Charles Jenkinson

Thinking longer term

#1 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I may have a mid to longer term opportunity to get into doing live sound - it's what I was interested in, before falling back on mechanical engineering at Uni - I'd have probably ended up doing acoustic consultation, but the nuts and bolts pays the way at the moment.

My friend who helped out on Saturday's Big Day Out gig is a pretty good mix engineer and saw the potential of using the SQ of the Jacks and T30's for live sound work. I haven't discussed that they're not necessarily the best choice of sub and top yet (SPL wise) - I'm personally thinking T39 and DR250. And I appreciate there is all the rest of the kit to get together. I do feel that having multiple equipment options is the way forward, and build the storage space required (shed in the garden).

But, I'm 43 this year and have another 20-odd years to work! And I got inspired by reading an article about a large UK sound company buying out one local to me for £5.9m in 2013 (SSE bought Wigwam). Mike Sprat of Wigwam said that 'there are big corporates and niche operations', with reference both to the sale of the company, and PA supply services in general. I have an ambition to be one of the niche operations, and felt I just needed to say for the record that one of the big reasons for believing i can achieve that is because of the SQ, SPL and know-how of the BF way, including the forum. I couldn't have raised my aspirations without this input. So, thank you.

Charles
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Grant Bunter

Re: Thinking longer term

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

Well put Charles!

It certainly is worth considering such a move, and I for one can put my hand up and say it can be rewarding and fun for small operators.

I guess it's fair to say at this point for you, you need to carefully consider outlay costs vs potential financial reward, what with young family, the UK at present and available market.

If I can help in any way, please shoot me a PM...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Charles Jenkinson

#3 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Thanks for the thumbs up Grant.

The considerations you cite are all very real - investment, likely return, market (who will buy from you and who you may sell your services to) and family stuff. Other than that, I don't know what all the poncing around is for, over the UK exit from Europe. I don't think people's first thought is to stop partying when the proverbial hits the fan - most people, me included, don't understand the personal tangible benefits of the EU, if there are any real ones. Being in or out appears to be more about an ideology.

Market and return are the big ones, for a viable business. Most bands have their own PA (and aren't viable businesses) so you have to target other/bigger/multiple-band events, and for me, it would be on a weekend warrior basis, till the kids (get bigger) or someone else could do the week days. Till one can make it a viable business (whatever that means) it's just a hobby.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Other than that, I don't know what all the poncing around is for, over the UK exit from Europe. I don't think people's first thought is to stop partying when the proverbial hits the fan - most people, me included, don't understand the personal tangible benefits of the EU, if there are any real ones. Being in or out appears to be more about an ideology.
It's a bit off topic lol
Britex has led to significant drops in share market pricing/values here in Australia.
It wiped billions off the markets here.
I guess the issue is the perception of instability, and it will take time to convince the world that's not an issue.
How that relates to those living in the UK remains to be seen.

Back to topic.
I think you need to be very clear about what you want to do with a potential business, and what your market is.
While, compared to commercial PA costs, I've saved a bundle building Bill's designs, I have realistically only posted a small profit perhaps 3 years out of six.
That's on paper. Compared to outlay though, I'm still around 1/3 behind.

Similarly, I treat it as a hobby...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...