Deal of the day

Anything not covered elsewhere.
jimbo7

Deal of the day

#1 Post by jimbo7 »

Today I scored a DBX PA+ and RTA mic for $90! I didn't test it first which is against my m.o.
When I got home I plugged it in and the screen half worked. :( Contrast adjustment worked but still hard to see. I opened it up and found the transformers a little loose, too. I pulled the ribbon cable off and put it back and it worked! Now I need to wipe it down since it has some scuzz from road duty. The mic is the black one so I think it's newer than the silver one.
Now I need another power conditioner and amps :chainsaw:
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bruce Weldy

Re: Deal of the day

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

jimbo7 wrote:Today I scored a DBX PA+ and RTA mic for $90! I didn't test it first which is against my m.o.
When I got home I plugged it in and the screen half worked. :( Contrast adjustment worked but still hard to see. I opened it up and found the transformers a little loose, too. I pulled the ribbon cable off and put it back and it worked! Now I need to wipe it down since it has some scuzz from road duty. The mic is the black one so I think it's newer than the silver one.
Now I need another power conditioner and amps :chainsaw:

A friend of mine bought one used with the screen out.....I did that same thing, cleaned the ribbon cables, shot 'em with DeOxit5, and re-seated 'em.....worked like a champ.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kkip

Re: Deal of the day

#3 Post by kkip »

I've fixed the screen-out issue on a number of used pro-audio devices. If the unit boots up and the backlight comes on, it is almost always the ribbon cable. Taking if off and on will usually fix it but only temporarily. I clean the contacts with a pencil eraser and deoxit. I then apply a tiny bit of dialectic grease and slide the connector back on. Then I verify it works and apply a little adhesive so the the connector stays in place. Never had this problem return after doing this.

Older Crown XTI amps have a known problem where the display backlight goes out. This one is not a connector problem. The LEDs actually get dim and then fail over time. The easy solution is to order a new display board from Crown for about $80. But if you are an adventurous cheap-o like me, it is possible to (carefully) desolder the display and remove the backlight diffuser from the board Then you can replace the burned out out LEDs with something similar from Digikey.
4 x T39 - 20" - 3012LF (Built 2)
4 x OT12 - 2512 - Melded/D220Ti
1 x TAT - GTO804