Best way to repair a diaphragm?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Bruce Weldy

Best way to repair a diaphragm?

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Just wondering what would work better - some kind of clear tape or superglue?
20160417.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

Re: Best way to repair a diaphragm?

#2 Post by CoronaOperator »

Last time I seen that is when I played pink noise without first checking where the faders were on the mixer before I pushed play (they were maxed out). I blew a pair of JBL 2431H compression drivers :bash: . They looked exactly like that and titanium confetti was all that was left of them. I'm thinking you did something similar and really hit a break-up mode hard on them. The repair shop I use never seen anything like that and although the diaphram was toast, the voice coils were still intact :shock: . A very expensive lesson learned.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

CoronaOperator wrote:Last time I seen that is when I played pink noise without first checking where the faders were on the mixer before I pushed play (they were maxed out). I blew a pair of JBL 2431H compression drivers :bash: . They looked exactly like that and titanium confetti was all that was left of them. I'm thinking you did something similar and really hit a break-up mode hard on them. The repair shop I use never seen anything like that and although the diaphram was toast, the voice coils were still intact :shock: . A very expensive lesson learned.

I really don't have any idea what might have happened. I set up for a gig yesterday and noticed that one side just didn't sound right - I was running two per side. So, I did a quick check with just that box by itself and knew something was wrong.

However, with having two per side, I was able to run the show with only one set of highs working on that side and nobody even noticed.

Took the grill off this morning and had some music playing through it when I pull the wires from the driver - turns out there WAS some high content in there....figured something might be wrong with the xover, so I checked that....everything was ok. So, I went back to the front of the box and pulled off the driver and found what was in the picture. I don't see how that thing was putting out anything at all - but there was definitely something there.

strange......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

escapemcp

#4 Post by escapemcp »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I don't see how that thing was putting out anything at all - but there was definitely something there.
Well, the VC is still vibrating some remnants of the diaphragm so I guess it's that - its not an ideal radiator, but it is a radiator nonetheless.