Speakons; Just use the screws or solder them?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
NukePooch

Re: Speakons; Just use the screws or solder them?

#16 Post by NukePooch »

Worst cable 'wrap' I've seen was the 'friend who had a sound system' who folded his cables like he was folding a sheet or towel. Folded in half, then half again, repeat until you've got a tangled mess about a foot long with pinched kinks....and of course, the overhand knot around the whole thing to hold it together. He also had a complete Bose PA system....cause Bose is the best, you know (as he HAD to explain to me, ad nauseum).
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

doncolga

#17 Post by doncolga »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
ripNdeb wrote:I've had two failures in two weeks now with my speakon jacks. Do you guys just use the screws with them or take the screws out and solder the wires in? (12 gauge wire)
I screw 'em in with no solder. The only time I've ever had one come apart was when someone was "helping" me tear down after a benefit.
I think this is what I've done with all mine. So far so good after several years of use.

EDIT: OMG...I just looked at my join date here...has is really been that long? Sheeze!
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

doncolga wrote: OMG...I just looked at my join date here...has is really been that long? Sheeze!

I know what you mean.....I've been hanging around 6 plus years myself.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

CoronaOperator

#19 Post by CoronaOperator »

doncolga wrote:
EDIT: OMG...I just looked at my join date here...has is really been that long? Sheeze!
Now why did you have to say that? You made me look and I just passed 7 years. The only reason I came on this site was because I was undergoing surgery at the time and being into audio I wanted some reading material while I was laid out in bed for 6 weeks. Bill was kind enough to email me some plans as the cd wouldn't arrive in time and then I think the rest of you were a bad influence on me. Look at my signature. I've even managed to mix about 10 bands in the last year because of you guys. Thank God I haven't picked up a guitar yet!
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience