'Shake, rattle and roll' time in new digs

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

'Shake, rattle and roll' time in new digs

#1 Post by Harley »

Richmond Hill.jpg
Well, the move to Christchurch City has shown the place comes with its own Shake, rattle and roll show.

Since we've been here we've had shakes that have given the buildings ( mainly the house we rent ) we were in at the time a jolly good jolt and shudder.

In the last 4 weeks, the quakes have measured 5.7, 4.2, 4.3 and yesterday a jelly-like 3.8. The 5.7 was quite exciting actually and luckily nothing came crashing down in the house. We're getting the landlord around to inspect the building though as the floors are now uneven in different spots to when we moved in :noob:

It's just on 5 years since the big quake that wrecked the city struck in Feb 22, 2011. The latest waves of so called aftershocks are giving some people a mental revisit to the event when they were without shelter and services for a very long time. Even now the city still has many buildings needing to have the demolition completed and every day the journey to work can surprise you with part of your route suddenly blocked for 'roadworks'. I reckon it will be another 10 - 15 years before Christchurch completes its repairs.

Luckily we live in a more solid part of town that weathers the shocks better, but of course we journey through various parts of the city almost daily and there's never any warning for when a jot will hit.

Time to get our emergency water, food and LPG cache up to scratch. They recommend a 3 - 4 week cache. :shock:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

ctmullins

Re: 'Shake, rattle and roll' time in new digs

#2 Post by ctmullins »

Wow. I've never been without shelter, but I spent ten days without services following Hurricane Katrina. Not fun, especially when it's 100 degrees...

Definitely do what you can to build up your cache. Also double-check your insurance.
-todd

5 and 8 string bass | SansAmp | Crown | 2 x J110
2 x W8 panel-mount
2 x T39 24" 3012LF
4 x OT12 2512 melded (finally done!)

Dale Hammer

#3 Post by Dale Hammer »

And wine. Don't forget the wine.

Maybe some Spam just to be safe.

Here in Kansas, they can't figure out if all of the new mini quakes we are having are caused by fracking or sub testing over at Leland's place.

Harley

#4 Post by Harley »

Dale Hammer wrote:Here in Kansas, they can't figure out if all of the new mini quakes we are having are caused by fracking or sub testing over at Leland's place.
Leland's place. I can bet on it. Been there, experienced that :loler:

LelandCrooks

#5 Post by LelandCrooks »

Guess I could box up some of these rations you lot shipped over here and send it back to you for emergencies.
Attachments
jerky.jpg
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

They can always eat lamb in a pinch, sheep outnumber people in NZ by 4:1. They could cull the herds by half and still not impact the local lads weekend plans. :loler:

Harley

#7 Post by Harley »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:They can always eat lamb in a pinch, sheep outnumber people in NZ by 4:1. They could cull the herds by half and still not impact the local lads weekend plans. :loler:
NZ population ( people ) 4.5 mio

"Th Photo / NZME. New Zealand's sheep population - once the country's most quoted statistic - fell by 1.2 million, or 4 per cent, to 29.6 million in the year to June, down from its 1982 record of 70.3 million"

Still plenty left for our English visitors.... :shock:

LelandCrooks

#8 Post by LelandCrooks »

Kansas 6 million head of cattle, 2 million people. And somebody thought it was a good idea to import beef.
Send some sheep. Lamb is damn expensive.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Harley

#9 Post by Harley »

LelandCrooks wrote:Send some sheep. Lamb is damn expensive.
It may not make any difference. We pay a mortgage here to get decent lamb in the shops.

e.g. 6 lousy sized lamb chops ( feeds 2....just! )in a shrink pack $9.00 AND they were "On Special!"

We have to wait for a leg of lamb ( for roasting ) to come on special to make it affordable. It may get down to say $21.00 for one that will feed a family of four and you have something left over for cold meat cuts for the next day's lunch. If you're caught short and want to offer roast lamb for overseas guests who turn up unexpected, then $35.00 plus for a leg of lamb.

The Poms can buy NZ spring lamb on the English supermarket shelves for about 25% less than we can and they're over 12,000 miles away!

Go figure :chainsaw:

Still, I guess we get earthquakes for free so we mustn't grumble :noob:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Harley wrote: The Poms can buy NZ spring lamb on the English supermarket shelves for about 25% less than we can and they're over 12,000 miles away!
That's Balance of Trade in action. Exports bring funds into the country, domestic consumption doesn't. It's a bit like why the Scots want to leave GB. When the drilling for oil in the North Sea was proposed the Brits were promised lower oil prices. It never happened, because most North Sea oil was exported, in an effort to balance the import/export books. Since the North Sea would be Scottish territory if Scotland was independent, and the oil a Scottish property, the Scots feel that the English robbed them. But one can argue that English coffers filled with Scottish oil income allows them to buy NZ lamb, balancing your books.

Harley

#11 Post by Harley »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:...allows them to buy NZ lamb, balancing your books.
...and give The War Office a damned good excuse to try and get me to eat pumpkin, courgettes, beetroot and other unpalatable mush because she says "The lamb's too dear today, we'll have to have vegies" :chainsaw: It's all the Scott's fault. They should have shut up when they discovered that oil.