XF210 - kind of

Anything not covered elsewhere.
Rune Bivrin

XF210 - kind of

#1 Post by Rune Bivrin »

First off, let's be frank: I didn't purchase the plans. Over time I've bought a shit-load of plans; for far more than what the CD would've cost.

Having said that; I figured I'd try to make do with what's stated in the product blurb and add my interpretation.

I'm building this for my brother. He has a Peavey 4x10 which appeared to work a bit erratically. It is also heavy as a load of bricks... On closer inspection it turned out the drivers had been swapped for Celestion drivers and rewired with all the soldering skills of a chimpanzee which explains the erratic function.

Unfortunately I didn't think of doing a build thread from the get-go, but better late than never.

I've always obsessed about weight, so I decided to do this in 7 mm (17/64") spruce plywood. I also forgot I had a tube of PL premium from Leland, so being located in Sweden I had to resort to Casco PU glue. It works well enough once it's cured, but it's considerably more runny than PL which poses some challenges.

Given the thin plywood I've braced the bejeezus out of it. On the back panel I've put 4 braces over 60 cm, plus one on each of the sides and one on the bottom. Those together with the angled baffles create a box with an impressively high-pitched knock to it.

Biggest problem was figuring out the angles for the baffles, as would be expected. I had to dig way back into my high school maths to remember the cosine theorem (that means I Googled it).

After getting that right I tried my custom circular attachment for the router to do the driver holes. I'll post pictures of that tonight. Let's just say it worked bitchen! I'll never use the jig-saw for that ever again.

The cab is painted with three layers of Warnex, which is probably pretty much the same as Duratex.

Anyway, here are some pics (for whatever reason my Dropbox links aren't accepted as IMG tags)

Full frontal nudity

Looking through driver hole

Frame for the cover being glued
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)