Volt meters.

Anything not covered elsewhere.
88h88

Re: Volt meters.

#16 Post by 88h88 »

Ordered a couple of analog meters, they were only a few quid each so I'm not gonna cry if they're not 100% accurate.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

byacey

#17 Post by byacey »

If you don't mind me asking, what did you order?

Most meter movements require DC current. If it isn't meant for direct connection to an AC signal, you'll need to add a rectifier and probably a capacitor across the movement to control the ballistics.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

88h88

#18 Post by 88h88 »

Basically this but in 100v format. http://tinyurl.com/lmmvkvf

I fib slightly, the one I picked up is marked AC current but that's what it looks like.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

byacey

#19 Post by byacey »

It's hard to say what you're getting. The meter shown in the link is a DC movement, requiring an external rectifier and a little bit of filtering.

If you're getting one scaled in AC Amps, it could possibly be an an iron-vane type movement. If so, you may find it relatively insensitive causing it to draw appreciable current to provide any kind of indication, and the accompanying loading on the speaker line due to the low impedance of the meter. If this is the case, sometimes it will have a high current shunt inside or on the outside of the meter case that can be removed to increase the sensitivity.

Let me know when you have it in hand, and I'll try and help you out.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

morticiaskeeper

#20 Post by morticiaskeeper »

I bought a LM3914 chip & a bargraph LED yesterday. I'm going to let my son loose with a few components and see what he can come up with :-)

byacey

#21 Post by byacey »

That would be more useful than an analog meter; you can adjust the dwell time to indicate peaks.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

morticiaskeeper

#22 Post by morticiaskeeper »

While googling about for circuit ideas, I came across this:

http://www.velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p237.html

escapemcp

#23 Post by escapemcp »

I'm thinking of getting a few of these after reading this thread:

£3 off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190837187768? ... 1423.l2649
Perfect 50V scale for my Lab12 T30s. I know they will be next to useless for any practical purpose, but for a few quid, they'll look bloody good. I got lots of oohs and aahs that I got last time I took the rack out when they saw the DEQ/DCX etc. Adding in some voltmeters for the subs would add to that effect. It's not my fault that some people listen with their eyes!! All these processors and meters makes my system look more 'pro' as well, so people will be happy paying more for when they want to hire it out.

morticiaskeeper

#24 Post by morticiaskeeper »

I've built the Velleman kit.

Now I've tested it, I'll try to set into a piece of wood. Once I've worked out the best way of doing that, I'll attack the Jack 10 Lite :-)

At first it didn't seem to work, until I realised that the Jack was too loud before we saw any lights!

northern piper

#25 Post by northern piper »

Wondering if anyone has taken this concept any further? I'm wondering if having one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-wire-Blue-Dig ... XQ1d1THscc would work? I'll state that I do have my iNUKE 3000 dsp set to limit my T24 but somehow having a gauge might be a bit reassuring. I don't have a clue about response time on this (or any other digital meter for that matter) but would this not be the same as me holding my fluke meter on the output of the amp when I test while music is playing only easier?

I have a small power supply in my amp rack for a couple of cooling fans that could easily power the meter.

Thoughts?

CoronaOperator

#26 Post by CoronaOperator »

northern piper wrote: I don't have a clue about response time on this (or any other digital meter for that matter) but would this not be the same as me holding my fluke meter on the output of the amp when I test while music is playing only easier?
I think that is why the analogue meters would be preferable. With digital meters they are fine for test tones but with music the readings jump all over the place and you would miss the peaks.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience