BFM Boombox?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
anikun07

BFM Boombox?

#1 Post by anikun07 »

I've been wondering, how cool would a BFM Boombox be? I've got a setup in my garage of an old Creative Labs PC subwoofer connected to two Polk Monitor 30s. The sound is pretty good, but I've been considering building a box that would let me easily move everything all at once, like if I wanted to bring it in the house. Any thoughts on what a portable BFM could be? I've made a THT and three SLAs, so I have a little experience with BFM projects. I was thinking two 4" drivers and two 1" tweeters (like on a SLA/TLAH), and one 6" driver. I was even thinking of maybe two SLA/TLAH drivers per left and right channel, if it didn't take up too much more space. Would a single amp be able to drive all this? I wasn't sure how well my Creative Labs subwoofer would driver the M30s, but it plays well.

BrentEvans

Re: BFM Boombox?

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

What you describe wouldn't be a BF boombox, it would be your own creation. A Jack 10 would suffice quite nicely for what you want to do, and they have been successfully powered with small amps (the Lepai amps from Parts Express) for such applications.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bas Gooiker

#3 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Talk to Michael Ewald Hanssen.
He does a nice boombox called the Boominator, plans should be freely available...
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Ian Westwood

#4 Post by Ian Westwood »

When I first got into BFM stuff I came up with this... then I realized it would be almost impossible to transport!!

I have calmed down a bit since then and it has never made it off the drawing board.

This is based on SLA with a blatantly refolded T30. Hope you don't mind me posting it Bill :oops:

The horn is not mathematically perfect but pretty close - it differs most at the final flare and path length is about 12 inches shorter (depending on how you measure it) IIRC.

The SLA parts are spot on volume wise.

I tried to figure out an SLA Pro version but couldn't get enough volume for the enclosure.

The voids were intended for electronics / batteries or what ever.

Authorized BFM Builder

Bas Gooiker

#5 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Haha, nice one Ian,

Going to take a big boy to carry that around though. And for boombox use you would want efficient drivers and no sub bass because of battery life.

Ian Westwood

#6 Post by Ian Westwood »

Don't know what you are talking about - I reckon I'd get at least 5 minutes out of the batteries!!

Some people have such high expectations!

:fruit:

Authorized BFM Builder

Bas Gooiker

#7 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Ian Westwood wrote:Don't know what you are talking about - I reckon I'd get at least 5 minutes out of the batteries!!

Some people have such high expectations!

:fruit:
Cool looking design though, need get my sketchup skills to that level.

88h88

#8 Post by 88h88 »

If nothing else that looks awesome.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#9 Post by Harley »

Ian Westwood wrote:When I first got into BFM stuff I came up with this... This is based on SLA with a blatantly refolded T30. Hope you don't mind me posting it Bill :oops:
You could get some Welsh design guidelines, get the smoking duck to test for leaks, and you'll be good to go. :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Ian Westwood

#10 Post by Ian Westwood »

HA.

Well here's the SLA pro "Version 2" I abandoned mid way through when I realized I'd have to refold the horn to get the required volume for the SLA's... I ended up refolding it anyway but ran out of steam later.

Perhaps just a half height / single woofer version of the "Version 5", SLA above might work OK and still be relatively portable?

Who the hell knows... but if anyone wants to build one, and as as long as Bill gives his blessings, I'll give them the V5 plans for free and the drivers way below retail prices so long as they promise to carry it on through and write a review at the end!

Your guess would be as good as mine with respect to the order of build. It would be a tricky one for shizzle.

You are also going to need a couple of strong friends, a miniDSP and probably a car amp configured to be 2.1... as well as some kind of power source (like a small generator) :lol:

Authorized BFM Builder

Drey Chennells

#11 Post by Drey Chennells »

Harley wrote:
Ian Westwood wrote:When I first got into BFM stuff I came up with this... This is based on SLA with a blatantly refolded T30. Hope you don't mind me posting it Bill :oops:
You could get some Welsh design guidelines, get the smoking duck to test for leaks, and you'll be good to go. :mrgreen:
:loler:
"Things happen, but music stays in your blood forever~." bf

InfraCoustik
Consulting/Design/Fabrication
Authorized BF Builder
http://www.infracoustik.com/
info@infracoustik.com

sine143

#12 Post by sine143 »

At this point a david would probably fit the bill better. or an omni 12 lol.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Bas Gooiker

#13 Post by Bas Gooiker »

TimpBizkit wrote:I fancy going the Behringer I-Nuke Boom route with 4 T-60s in the middle and a vertical line of Omnitops or Sla Pros on either side.

On the subject of Davids, just mount the mid-high section on a T-39 :fruit:
Tim,

How are your current builds going?

Ian Westwood

#14 Post by Ian Westwood »

TimpBizkit wrote:I fancy going the Behringer I-Nuke Boom route with 4 T-60s in the middle and a vertical line of Omnitops or Sla Pros on either side.

Authorized BFM Builder

88h88

#15 Post by 88h88 »

4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"