Church Organ speakers need to replace!!!

Anything not covered elsewhere.
barrajoe

Church Organ speakers need to replace!!!

#1 Post by barrajoe »

Hello and HELP,
I am currently working on a set of TLAH PROs for my church as well as plans for 2 t39 subs and 2 sets of SLAs for the choir and overflow seating and the Pastor asked what could be done for our Organ sound. I told him I would pose the question to the forum and hope for a solution. the current speakers for our Allen Organ are 2 sets (of 2) of the allen hc-15u which looks like something I had in college 40 years ago. A 15" woofer 4" mid and 1" tweeter 3 way cabinet with a bass port with a 98db sensativity and frequency range of 30 to 20k. the cabs are too large( 17" deep) for the new location and after 12 years are a little hammered and need to go in favor of something better. What would you recommend for the application that I can propose to the church asap as the reno of the sanctuary is underway as we type. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

BrentEvans

Re: Church Organ speakers need to replace!!!

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

DI the organ into the sound system. If there's no line level out, use a direct box with a pad. It'll sound better than it ever has. Make sure to give the organist a monitor.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

+1
TomS

SirNickity

#4 Post by SirNickity »

If you do lows on the organ, you might want to consider the T48 instead.

barrajoe

#5 Post by barrajoe »

Sooner or later, I'll piece all of the suggestions together. So far, I have settled on the TLAH PROs for the mains, I am going to use 2 sets of SLAs for the choir loft and an overflow area (with delay). I am building two wedgewood 6s for the organ and piano monitors. It has been suggested that I build a T39 sub, or a T48 for deeper bass (dont know yet if the T48 can be built to fit in the 18"+ space under the Chancel stage. I bought the T39 plans and was going to use the lab 12, but don't know if the T48 can be built in that width yet. ?? Not sure if 1 or two T39's are needed or maybe 1 T48??. Lastly it has been suggested that I use the mains and sub for both vocals and the electric organ. if so, how much amp do I need and can I power the sub from the amp or do I need a separate amp? Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I better ask the pros.
Thanks
Joe

Gregory East

#6 Post by Gregory East »

barrajoe wrote:Sooner or later, I'll piece all of the suggestions together. So far, I have settled on the TLAH PROs for the mains, I am going to use 2 sets of SLAs for the choir loft and an overflow area (with delay).

I am building two wedgewood 6s for the organ and piano monitors. It has been suggested that I build a T39 sub, or a T48 for deeper bass (dont know yet if the T48 can be built to fit in the 18"+ space under the Chancel stage. Pp

I bought the T39 plans and was going to use the lab 12, but don't know if the T48 can be built in that width yet. ?? Not sure if 1 or two T39's are needed or maybe 1 T48??.

Lastly it has been suggested that I use the mains and sub for both vocals and the electric organ. if so, how much amp do I need and can I power the sub from the amp or do I need a separate amp? Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I better ask the pros.
Thanks
Joe
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Gregory East

#7 Post by Gregory East »

You need an amp channel for each set of cabs. You might need more than 1 channel to control levels but not for stereo.

Careful with under stage subs. You get a big cancellation from the rear wall unless it's a deep stage.

18" rings a bell as minimum width for t48.

Paragraphs rock ok!
BAT10, Bad Auto Tuba. Reverse folded TAT to fit JBL 1014D, 350W driver, voltage limit unknown.

Tom Smit

#8 Post by Tom Smit »

barrajoe wrote:Sooner or later, I'll piece all of the suggestions together. So far, I have settled on the TLAH PROs for the mains, I am going to use 2 sets of SLAs for the choir loft and an overflow area (with delay). I am building two wedgewood 6s for the organ and piano monitors. It has been suggested that I build a T39 sub, or a T48 for deeper bass (dont know yet if the T48 can be built to fit in the 18"+ space under the Chancel stage. I bought the T39 plans and was going to use the lab 12, but don't know if the T48 can be built in that width yet. ?? Not sure if 1 or two T39's are needed or maybe 1 T48??. Lastly it has been suggested that I use the mains and sub for both vocals and the electric organ. if so, how much amp do I need and can I power the sub from the amp or do I need a separate amp? Sorry for all the questions, but I figured I better ask the pros.
Thanks
Joe
Already asked in another thread.
TomS

mattaudio

#9 Post by mattaudio »

DI the organ? I have a Leslie at church, thank you very much! The only decent sounding thing in that room!

Ryan A

#10 Post by Ryan A »

I would want something that could go down to at least 20hz for church organ music, like T60 perhaps? There is a "presence" below 30 hz, if neither really heard nor felt.

BrentEvans

#11 Post by BrentEvans »

ryan222h wrote:I would want something that could go down to at least 20hz for church organ music, like T60 perhaps? There is a "presence" below 30 hz, if neither really heard nor felt.
That depends on the organ. Some do, some don't. Usually the ones that do don't have the speaker system to support it.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

ontime1269

#12 Post by ontime1269 »

18" rings a bell as minimum width for t48.
With a 12" driver, the T48 can be built as small as 15". I have personally built a 16", Lab12 loaded T48.