Hitch Cargo Carrier?

Anything not covered elsewhere.
ontime1269

Hitch Cargo Carrier?

#1 Post by ontime1269 »

Anyone have any experience with an item like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310390827661?_t ... 97.c0.m619

I had plans of buying a trailer but decided I would rather not pull a trailer. I've never pulled a trailer before and often have visions of me pulling a trailer and it passing me on the freeway.... :lol: I don't really need a trailer at this time but would like to go after some larger shows. I just wanted to have enough sound for about 500 people inside.

I will soon start a build of 4 20" Lab 12 T-39's. I can comfortably carry 2 right now. I could probably carry the 4 of them but it would be very, very tight. Actually, too tight for my liking. I wanted to use the Hitch Cargo Carrier to carry 2 of the T-39's. That would also free me up build larger tops. At this time, without the Cargo Carrier, I would have to build an army of SLA Pro's.

I was wondering if anyone has used a Hitch Cargo Carrier? Does it feel sturdy enough to carry a pair of T39's safely? Thanks.

LEVLHED

Re: Hitch Cargo Carrier?

#2 Post by LEVLHED »

I used one for a trip last summer. Not for carrying subs, but we carried a huge cooler and other stuff. I don't know about that particular one you linked, but what we use would have no problem at all. I too considered buying one (we borrowed the one we used) for adding some subs to the arsenal, but I was concerned about weather proofing. I envisioned making a custom fitted tarp of some kind.
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

slyslam

#3 Post by slyslam »

I'm using a modified cargo trailer to carry my two T39. Very handy when you don't have a trailer on hand. Mine is modified to accept 22" T39 and I also made an angled support for better strenght
Total cost was around 170.00$ The modification was done by welders at my shop. My hitch capacity is 200 lbs and the total weight comes around 170 lbs so I'm good. I have it for 1-1/2 years now and still happy with it. I will take a picture of it when the weather colaborates.

ontime1269

#4 Post by ontime1269 »

I just used the one on ebay as an example. I found one locally that is the same size and price as the one I linked to. It's good to know that they are sturdy enough. I will probably go ahead and get one. I have to add a hitch to my truck and find some strong straps to hold down the subs. Thanks for the replies.

Jon Barnhardt

#5 Post by Jon Barnhardt »

What do you do when it's raining on your way to the event?

slyslam

#6 Post by slyslam »

Jon Barnhardt wrote:What do you do when it's raining on your way to the event?
Two poly tarps strapped together. Easy to do and doesnt flap with the wind.

The longest ride I did was Montreal-Toronto with one sub only. Barely noticed it was there cos it was on it's side. With two, I put them upside down to have most of the weight at the bottom.

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

ontime1269 wrote:
I had plans of buying a trailer but decided I would rather not pull a trailer. I've never pulled a trailer before and often have visions of me pulling a trailer and it passing me on the freeway.... :lol: I don't really need a trailer at this time but would like to go after some larger shows.
I've pulled a large tent trailer on vacation for 7 years with no problem. Ask a friend, look up Youtube, etc. for the proper way to do it. With knowledge comes surety.
TomS

LEVLHED

#8 Post by LEVLHED »

too bad that one you linked says OD and not ID....*just* a little too small to fit T60's....
http://www.livingjukebox.com
9,000 watts and I'm not afraid to use them.

biggerrigger

#9 Post by biggerrigger »

I do just that. I have a all steel 500lbs rated cargo carrier that I first place a large tarp down on then put 2 of my 25" wide lab12 loaded T39's onto. After the subs are in place neatly fold the tarp in a way that if any rain gets in the folds of the tarp it will follow the folds and run out. I back this up with 4 rachet straps 2 front to back and 2 side to side. I lay my subs on there side with one facing to the left and one to the right to even out the weight on the carrier and so the locking corners on the cabs help keep them secure. Last gig I did was a 2 hour drive with rain the entire time and an hour of rain after I got to the gig before unloading and I did not have a single drop on the cabs. Works like a charm.
Aaron
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

DJ Higgumz

#10 Post by DJ Higgumz »

they are plenty sturdy. i carry my snowblower on it, a big 8 horse walk behind. mine uses the larger hitch tube! what if you were to strap them to the roof? being 20 inches that shouldnt be too hard to execute!
Before Fitzmaurice, big bass could only be had with just a hook and a nightcrawler.
Building
4 30" T60s
Built
2 19" T60s
1 30" T39
3 Autotubas with GTO804
Bought
2 Dr250s