Dean Markley Guitar Pickup - Buzz Problem

Anything not covered elsewhere.
BrentEvans

Dean Markley Guitar Pickup - Buzz Problem

#1 Post by BrentEvans »

I've had a couple of these Dean Markley acoustic soundhole pickups show up at the event I'm running over the last week, and I know they'll show up again in the next week.

They sound great... but they've got a bad case of the buzzies. It's not straight 60hz hum, but it shows up around 122 and 244 (harmonics?) and as a presence lift over about 3 octaves centered at 2.5k or so.

Has anyone successfully killed the hums and buzzes on these things? All I can find via Google is how hum free they're supposed to be.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Dean Markley Guitar Pickup - Buzz Problem

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

BrentEvans wrote:I've had a couple of these Dean Markley acoustic soundhole pickups show up at the event I'm running over the last week, and I know they'll show up again in the next week.

They sound great... but they've got a bad case of the buzzies. It's not straight 60hz hum, but it shows up around 122 and 244 (harmonics?) and as a presence lift over about 3 octaves centered at 2.5k or so.

Has anyone successfully killed the hums and buzzes on these things? All I can find via Google is how hum free they're supposed to be.
I have one that I use in my D35 for church gigs and I have the same problem. It's really strange - I can make it go away by rotating to the left. But, if I go too far it comes back.....I hope someone has an answer.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

tdogg

#3 Post by tdogg »

noisegate?
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans »

tdogg wrote:noisegate?
Doing that already, but it significantly alters the sustain of the guitar if the threshold is high enough to deal with it effectively. I've compromised by only using a 6db floor on the gate and a long attack... but it's still not effective.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Greg Plouvier

#5 Post by Greg Plouvier »

Are you running thru a DI?
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

BrentEvans

#6 Post by BrentEvans »

Greg Plouvier wrote:Are you running thru a DI?

Yup. As a matter of fact, we've tried three different kinds (Whirlwind EDB1, which are my "utility" DIs, Horizon IMP2, and Behringer DI-200, as well as running through a seperate submixer for effects, and line-matching transformers. We've tried everything I've got. Still got the buzzies.

Sydney

#7 Post by Sydney »

Has it been determined that the problem occurs with this pickup regardless of where it is or what it is plugged into ( indicative of a problem w the pickup itself )
Perhaps using copper foil to build a better shield cage.
Or use an isolation transformer.
I can make it go away by rotating to the left.
Rotating what to the left - precisely with respect to what?

Syd

Greg Plouvier

#8 Post by Greg Plouvier »

Get a different pickup - Fishman or Schertler contact. Maybe call DM and complain
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans »

Sydney wrote:Has it been determined that the problem occurs with this pickup regardless of where it is or what it is plugged into ( indicative of a problem w the pickup itself )
Hard to say.. these are guest musicians. I don't believe the problems are in the hardware of pickups per se.. as in they're not damaged. Both musicians say something along the lines of "they work fine at home."
Perhaps using copper foil to build a better shield cage.
Not my instruments. I might tackle something like that on my own though, if it had the problem.
Or use an isolation transformer.
IMP2 has an transformer, as does the EDB1. As the Behringer is active, I'm sure it has one too (although I've never actually looked... i have with the IMP and EDB1). Are you referring to something different than this?
Greg Plouvier wrote:Get a different pickup - Fishman or Schertler contact. Maybe call DM and complain
If it were mine, I would. I much prefer a mic'd guitar to a pup in most cases anyway in most cases. In this case, since they're not mine, I have no dog in the fight, per se.

This may just get filed in the department of "oh well..." and I'll just be done with it. I was just hoping for something like "put such value cap and such a value resistor between pins 2 and 3 and it will go away magically!" Nothing's ever that easy.

Sydney

#10 Post by Sydney »

The more this is discussed the more it points to a intrinsic susceptibility to power line noise.
Your observation of the 60Hz based harmonics.
Perhaps you could recommend the owners of that pickup research foil shielding the pickup.
It's an electrically dirty world with a lot of modern noise sources and conditions that very wildly from their homes.
There is a lot of internet content on foil-shielding pickups and guitar parts suppliers carry copper foil because it's a common issue.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/dimmers.html

A good isolation transformer is not cheap so I have doubt of the efficacy of the cheaper D/I boxes to provide isolation.
A good Jensen transformer runs about $50+ but they are an industry staple in the toolbox.

Syd

BrentEvans

#11 Post by BrentEvans »

Sydney wrote:The more this is discussed the more it points to a intrinsic susceptibility to power line noise.
Your observation of the 60Hz based harmonics.
Perhaps you could recommend the owners of that pickup research foil shielding the pickup.
It's an electrically dirty world with a lot of modern noise sources and conditions that very wildly from their homes.
I'll pass it along... not sure how well it will be recieved.
Actually one of them is my assistant, and he'll probably do it if it gives him too much trouble elsewhere. The other one.. as I said, no dog in the fight.
A good isolation transformer is not cheap so I have doubt of the efficacy of the cheaper D/I boxes to provide isolation.
A good Jensen transformer runs about $50+ but they are an industry staple in the toolbox.
Are these sold in a premade passthrough box, or do I have to source and buy the transformer, then roll my own?

Sydney

#12 Post by Sydney »

Isolation transformers come as black boxes and part modules to wiring in panels etc.
Besides Jensen, Lundahl makes the better transformers.
Even Behringer makes a HD400 ( efficacy unknown ).
See broadcast suppliers like Markertek

When I encounter line noise I look for the orientation and proximity of noise and the cable routing vis a vis power lines.
This book gives a diagnostic checklist:
Practical Recording Techniques: The Step-by-step Approach to Professional ...
By Bruce Bartlett, Jenny Bartlett page 65

Syd

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Sydney wrote:
I can make it go away by rotating to the left.
Rotating what to the left - precisely with respect to what?

Syd
Rotating me and the guitar. :)

As I move away from the monitor the buzz goes away. At about 45 degrees it's gone at 90 degrees off axis, it's back. It's really bizarre.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Sydney

#14 Post by Sydney »

Not so bizarre - it's inductance :x
If you bring your guitar closer to the monitor - does it get louder?
Do other items with permanent magnets and transformers and wall warts cause the problems as well?

Syd

bgavin

#15 Post by bgavin »

Is the monitor a powered type, by any chance?

A steady-state hum/buzz is not going to originate with passive speakers.
You are hearing power supply interaction, not speaker signal.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.