Using sound to get 'high'

Anything not covered elsewhere.
SoundInMotionDJ

Using sound to get 'high'

#1 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Brings new meaning to Sex, drugs, and rock&roll...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/digital-drugs/

Apparently, they are using binuaral beats to alter the brain waves. I wonder what this will sound like on a big system??? :noob:
Last edited by SoundInMotionDJ on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

Radian

Re: Using sound to get 'high'

#2 Post by Radian »

The effect can be quite pleasing and possibly emotional (once you get into it), if not feeling a little weird / phasey at first. :)

BT used this technology throughout his This Binary Universe DTS DVD. I had a chance to listen to it through a dual SVS setup...comfortably loud. :wink:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

doncolga

#3 Post by doncolga »

I listened to the Youtube link on there...didn't do anything for me...I think it would make me sleepy.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Radian

#4 Post by Radian »

Got a laugh out of the article. :loler:

That "Gate of Hades" is child's play.

Put that technology into the hands of an artist that knows how to use it like BT (mentioned above):

(Must be heard live, start-to-finish, in 5.1 to fully appreciate)

or an engineer like John Bedini:

http://johnbedini.net/john34/test.html
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

CafSentryGnome

#5 Post by CafSentryGnome »

jcmbowman

#6 Post by jcmbowman »

This is actually quite a point of interest for me. I help out with a halloween show every year, and part of the event involves an entrance through a haunted house. The first year I stepped up the haunted house by adding my AT to the system, and the next year it was two ATs + a number of hidden speakers throughout the house, plus some infrasound tracks I created to lay under the running thunder/lightning track. Last year I altered the infrasound track by separating the ATs to opposite ends of the house and including some low-level low frequency tones that combine to create harmonics in the 3-6hz range. While testing it out I was told by my friends who were building out some of the rooms in the house that I needed to turn it off because they were becoming increasingly uneasy and agitated with it running. I'm going to do some more testing and experimentation this year to see if I can take it to another level of disturbing. :)
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

tdogg

#7 Post by tdogg »

jcmbowman wrote:This is actually quite a point of interest for me. I help out with a halloween show every year, and part of the event involves an entrance through a haunted house. The first year I stepped up the haunted house by adding my AT to the system, and the next year it was two ATs + a number of hidden speakers throughout the house, plus some infrasound tracks I created to lay under the running thunder/lightning track. Last year I altered the infrasound track by separating the ATs to opposite ends of the house and including some low-level low frequency tones that combine to create harmonics in the 3-6hz range. While testing it out I was told by my friends who were building out some of the rooms in the house that I needed to turn it off because they were becoming increasingly uneasy and agitated with it running. I'm going to do some more testing and experimentation this year to see if I can take it to another level of disturbing. :)
LOL that is awesome! time for some THT's! :twisted:
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

bzb

#8 Post by bzb »

jcmbowman wrote:This is actually quite a point of interest for me. I help out with a halloween show every year, and part of the event involves an entrance through a haunted house. The first year I stepped up the haunted house by adding my AT to the system, and the next year it was two ATs + a number of hidden speakers throughout the house, plus some infrasound tracks I created to lay under the running thunder/lightning track. Last year I altered the infrasound track by separating the ATs to opposite ends of the house and including some low-level low frequency tones that combine to create harmonics in the 3-6hz range. While testing it out I was told by my friends who were building out some of the rooms in the house that I needed to turn it off because they were becoming increasingly uneasy and agitated with it running. I'm going to do some more testing and experimentation this year to see if I can take it to another level of disturbing. :)
Haha, I want to do this!!

I haven't helped out with a haunted house since college. Loved doing them, whether it was setup or performance. Now that I have the rig, I'd *love* to do sound for one of them.

Maybe I can find a local charity that's going to do one.
Bobby Shively
Purveyor of fine aged hip hop
Traktor S4 - Vestax VCI-100 - TTX - MOTU Ultralite - Yamaha 01V

Built:
T39 13" BP102, 24" 3012LF - AT - OT12 2512 - SLA Pro - T24 - Jack 10