Looking for a white podium mic

Anything not covered elsewhere.
BrentEvans

Looking for a white podium mic

#1 Post by BrentEvans »

I have a client who wants a white podium gooseneck type microphone (church setting, everything else is white, the black mic sticks out like a sore thumb).

I can't seem to find much at all. CAD used to make one, but they're long discontinued, and the only other one I find any reference to is some custom AKG/Crown stuff which appears to be vaporware at the moment.

Anybody know of a current model?
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

sine143

Re: Looking for a white podium mic

#2 Post by sine143 »

:mrgreen:

Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

BrentEvans

#3 Post by BrentEvans »

Yeah, I thought of that. Too hack. :) This is in a very very very nice church sanctuary, and besides... I have a reputation to protect, here!

A thought that has crossed my mind also is white flexible shrink tubing and a white windscreen. The body of the mic is down in a shockmount, and shrink wouldn't modify the mic in such a way to void the warranty. I found an online supplier (shrinktubing.net) that seems to have the stuff.

My sales guy at Full Compass also passed this email to me from the Audio-Technica rep..
Audio Technica does not have a white gooseneck mic, they discourage people from trying as the paint begins to chip and look like crap. If the client really wants a white one, they'd have to paint it themselves and thus void the warranty.
If that doesn't say it all...
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

djtecthreat

#4 Post by djtecthreat »

Were it I, I would get a white windscreen (my local GC has them), get a piece of white wire loom to go over the goose neck (local parts store or electrical supply house), secure it with white zip ties (not clear), and then I would take the mic apart and paint the body with a self-etching primer first, then 2 or 3 coats of white, and of course a nice clear, reassemble and you have a pimping mic.
DJ TecThreat
-Building-
8 More T48's

-Built-
11 T48 @ 24" 3015LF ( Using 8 )
8 OTop12 - Thread after they were built. & Review, using them w/o subs.
4 SLA Pro's
"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." - R.R.

BrentEvans

#5 Post by BrentEvans »

djtecthreat wrote:Were it I, I would get a white windscreen (my local GC has them), get a piece of white wire loom to go over the goose neck (local parts store or electrical supply house), secure it with white zip ties (not clear), and then I would take the mic apart and paint the body with a self-etching primer first, then 2 or 3 coats of white, and of course a nice clear, reassemble and you have a pimping mic.
The base isn't an issue, it will be buried in the shockmount. Paint isn't an option, as 1) it voids the warranty, and 2) I've painted a gooseneck before, just as you specified, and the gooseneck itself started flecking in very short order. The rigid shaft in the middle would be fine, but the goosenecks take too much movement for paint, and it's also nearly impossible to get paint in all the nooks and crannies.

Churches can be funny. It has to look right and if it sounds right that's entirely a bonus. If it doesn't look right, all the little old ladies will talk about it and that becomes a problem, as the little old ladies have most of the little old dollars. Sometimes. :)

sine143

#6 Post by sine143 »

hmm. Well. Paint is not an option I know, that was kinda a joke.

I honestly cant think of a modification that wont void the warranty, but how about powdercoating? Its way more durable than paint imo. and it can bend nicely.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Zack Brock

#7 Post by Zack Brock »

Peavey PM18S: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.c ... ophone.cfm

Part of their "Sanctuary Series"
Zack Brock
Authorized Builder, Northeast Florida (Greater Jacksonville Area)
WavePulse Acoustics | zackbrock@macpulse.com | http://www.bestbasscabs.com/

djtecthreat

#8 Post by djtecthreat »

If you see my post I said the goose neck is covered in white loom (that's the flexible part). If its an audio technica mic the warranty sucks anyway, they cover nothing.
DJ TecThreat
-Building-
8 More T48's

-Built-
11 T48 @ 24" 3015LF ( Using 8 )
8 OTop12 - Thread after they were built. & Review, using them w/o subs.
4 SLA Pro's
"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." - R.R.

Greg Plouvier

#9 Post by Greg Plouvier »

I'd be more concerned with the way it sounds than what color it is - a lot of podium mics sound like ass.
Here's one I used with great success in a new sanctury a couple years ago:

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... ge,EN.html
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powers ... d,316.html

Very stealth and just sounds great. The problem with podium mics is eveyone wants to eff with them - adjust it this way, adjust it that way. And a lot of them sound like crap off axis, so if youre trying to grab 2 people at the podium they both suck. And plosives are nasty with most as well. This AKG is awesome, period. Only sticks up about a foot, so nobody messes with it. Can't recommend it enough.
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

For average lectern applications PZMs work better than dynamic mics. Totally unobtrusive, and nothing for people to screw around with.
http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Grabber-Con ... B0002H0ER0

Greg Plouvier

#11 Post by Greg Plouvier »

My experience with PZM's has been low GBF, unnatural sounding and a lot of unwanted noise like paper rustling, fist thumping and the like. I put a lot of mics up against that AKG, Senn and DPA boundary/pzm included, and a bunch of podium mics and it just works nicely. If you can get a rep to let you demo one hearing is believing.(Harry Warman @ Warman Marketing in Denver did have some he was wanting to sell a while back) Also concerning podium mics a dedicated channel strip with parametric eq and compression does wonders - a necessity as far as I'm concerned.
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

BrentEvans

#12 Post by BrentEvans »

Zack Brock wrote:Peavey PM18S: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.c ... ophone.cfm

Part of their "Sanctuary Series"
That will do it. I have a PM18S in Black :slap: and didn't think to look at it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but this is one of those deals where all the professional opinions in the world won't change the mind of the pastor. It is simply what he wants, no two ways about it.

Now, to find one of these in stock somewhere... NSL shows it as a special order item, so we'll see what we come up with.

Thanks again!

BrentEvans

#13 Post by BrentEvans »

Greg Plouvier wrote:My experience with PZM's has been low GBF, unnatural sounding and a lot of unwanted noise like paper rustling, fist thumping and the like. I put a lot of mics up against that AKG, Senn and DPA boundary/pzm included, and a bunch of podium mics and it just works nicely. If you can get a rep to let you demo one hearing is believing.(Harry Warman @ Warman Marketing in Denver did have some he was wanting to sell a while back) Also concerning podium mics a dedicated channel strip with parametric eq and compression does wonders - a necessity as far as I'm concerned.
Yup. PZMs on podiums lack shock mounting, and the omni pattern is great for recording, lousy for reinforcement, and the mic requires the speaker to bend down too much to put their lips on the capsule to make it loud and distorted (happens all the time). Plus it looks funny.

Tom Smit

#14 Post by Tom Smit »

Here is a wire loom link http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/colorloom.php. I priced out two feet of white shipped to an hour north of Detroit. Sixty cents for the loom, $7.30 for shipping.
TomS

mpm32

#15 Post by mpm32 »

Why not wrap it neatly with white electrical tape?
https://www.facebook.com/CharlieDontSurfCT/

2-DR250
2-Wedgehorn 8
2-16" T39