Okay fellow speaker heads..let's role play 8-)

Anything not covered elsewhere.
jcmbowman

Re: Okay fellow speaker heads..let's role play 8-)

#16 Post by jcmbowman »

NCcrashman wrote:Killer replies. I told him several things, but the number one item I told him, was basically this. Horn loaded enclosures are amazingly efficient, sound great and very musical. That was his primary concern. Based on how efficient they really are, those power amp companies would go out of business not being able to sell high power amps. I can't remember if it was the VXR or the Peavey, but their dual 18" sub takes something ridiculous like 4800 watt's. Plus, they cost a ton of labor to manufacture and like Bruce said, how tough is it to cut a couple holes and glue speakers in them? We were looking at numbers like SPL chart's and he said it doesn't represent anything except how loud they can go. Not how nice they sound. That being said, he meant zero disrespect to Bill or his designs. He was just saying horn loaded box's in general. He is actually a pretty killer dude. He was asking legitimate questions looking for legitimate answers. He was implying that horns were popular in the 80's and not today. I took him to some websites and showed him some speaker array's that would be used in a stadium. Guess what? They were horns. He's a believer. Plus, when I'm done, I'll shut him up for good 8-)

Nice chat gang,
Patrick

You sort of hit upon it, but one other thing to bear in mind on the consumer/prosumer bias against horns:

When you have companies like Harman International that are mega-conglomerates with a slew of brands under their umbrella (AKG®, BSS®, Crown®, dbx®, DigiTech®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL® - Consumer, JBL® - Professional, Lexicon® - Consumer, Lexicon® - Professional, Mark Levinson®, Revel®, Soundcraft®, Studer®) it makes sense to consider that the different brands would not work at cross-purposes. If you look at the big picture it only makes sense that JBL would continue to put out simple, inefficient boxes loaded with drivers that can handle more and more power, when another arm of the same conglomerate is Crown, who keeps coming out with amplifiers that can produce more and more power to feed those inefficient speakers. I'm not saying it's like that across the board, but it's the big companies that tend to dictate the direction the market moves in.

It's like what would happen if a computer software companies (Windows? Adobe?) were in cahoots with the computer hardware companies (Dell? HP?) and kept coming up with updates to their software that arbitrarily required more and more resources, just to help the hardware companies sell bigger/faster computers.... But we all know that would never happen. :wink:
Low End Junkie for over 20 years.

4 DR250s
4 Tuba36s @ 30" wide
2 ATs
...and a very serious addiction to the smell of BB sawdust and curing PL.

paul_ulrix

#17 Post by paul_ulrix »

i'm not sure about the high production costs, what if somebody starts to have them built in a low wage country ?
I'm sure the cabs won't be all that expensive once you have them built in China and order them by the container.

tdogg

#18 Post by tdogg »

paul_ulrix wrote:i'm not sure about the high production costs, what if somebody starts to have them built in a low wage country ?
I'm sure the cabs won't be all that expensive once you have them built in China and order them by the container.
dont forget shipping costs. and ill bet dollars to doughnuts that alot of commercially produced cabs (ala peavey, lower end JBL, etc) are already assembled overseas. just my $.02
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

tdogg

#19 Post by tdogg »

one other big issue that hasnt really been explored.... horn cabs look funny. if 10 people walked into guitar center to buy a PA cab ( not gear junkies, just regular joes that need to amplify vox for their rock band and havent done their homework on cab design), and they saw a DR250 next to a JBL 215 cab, 9 of them would take the JBL base on looks and "power handling" (whatever that means).
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

NCcrashman

#20 Post by NCcrashman »

Zack Brock wrote:Good job Patrick! :clap:

You could sum it up like this: Horn loaded loudspeakers are the bees knees! :mrgreen:

Have you decided what to build yet?
Thank you sir. I did my homework before coming to this site. Lot's of research and figuring out financial cost. Point blank, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, Bill's designs are the best I will ever own. I live on a disability income and in no way, shape or form can I get ANYTHING better than this. I have $40 dollars to save (i'll have it by next week) and I can buy my plans CD. Thank God I have someone who is giving me a light, part-time job so I can afford the supplies. Not only do I want to pro enclosures, but my plans are to build some home cab's as well. I am a live sound geek, 110%. I love mixing bands and I am incredibly anal about live sound to the point of being annoying. It must be the best I can get it. That being said, we have 1 venue in town (popular bar) that allows 1 hour for setup and sound checks. That's it. ONE HOUR! Bill's designs are so efficient, it'll take ton's of stress off of me. These projects will also keep me busy. I still haven't decided 100%, but it appears now I am going to build 4 DR-200's and maybe the Titan 39's. I also will be building wedge monitors too 8-)

Patrick
"If it's too loud, your too old! What's that? I didn't hear you"
Friends don't let friends use crappy speakers!

CafSentryGnome

#21 Post by CafSentryGnome »

jcmbowman wrote:It's like what would happen if a computer software companies (Windows? Adobe?) were in cahoots with the computer hardware companies (Dell? HP?) and kept coming up with updates to their software that arbitrarily required more and more resources, just to help the hardware companies sell bigger/faster computers.... But we all know that would never happen. :wink:
they already are in the games scene. nvidia, intel and amd already sponsor game development and help them program for better graphics and AI, which requires more performance. other places its not so obvious.

NCcrashman

#22 Post by NCcrashman »

After further thought, I have decided to start with building either O-Top's with 12's in them or Jacks. I am leaning toward the Jack's if I can get more low end. I would like to build them with 2 x-overs and a selector switch to be used with or without sub's, depending on needs. When i was going to buy speakers, I really wanted SRX's until JBL came out with their VRX series arrays. It should be funny seeing guy's who paid thousands for their VRX array's here mine..lol. After seeing the SPL chart, the O-Top's crushed the VRX array's. I guess people don't mind paying for a name. I do. Now I need to decide on bass cabs. I just want them to crush the VRX bass cab's too.

Love ya'll, mean it 8-)

Patrick
"If it's too loud, your too old! What's that? I didn't hear you"
Friends don't let friends use crappy speakers!

DJPhatman

#23 Post by DJPhatman »

I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO STICK WITH DR200s and T39s. They will never disappoint you, and 2 DR200 per side is stunning. Build the T39s first, as wide as you can transport and store, to get your feet wet. Once you have those 4 done, build the DR200s. Then a pair of Wedgehorn 8s and a pair of Wedgehorn 10s. Add 1 XTi2000 to drive the subs, 2 XTI1000 to drive the DR200s on one, and the Wedge horns on the other. All the DSP is in the amps, no crossovers needed, maybe pick up a good EQ for tweaking, and you are set. Add a quality mixer or SAC, mics dejure, wiring, stands, and you are done.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

mikeratliff

#24 Post by mikeratliff »

What is funny about this reply is that it is a year out of date and I am sure no one will see it but here goes. Big Mick Hughes FOH for Metalica said it best in his interviews available on youtube (sorry i do not have the links on this computer...I am sure we have all seen them) you can not get that physical chest thump from a baffle mount speaker and, "arrays with 8" drivers are "AMBITIOUS". Double quotes for emphasis. Once again science is proven right and physics simply will never change. My first concert was Aerosmith Draw the Line in 1977...no line arrays just a wall of horns on each side of the stage and a physical punch in the chest every time Joey Kramer put a foot to the bass drum, pants legs moving with the pulse of bass guitar. Once everyone made the jump to line arrays all that changed. I love line arrays and have used many of the best, even some of the first but, I miss the good old days of drop dead kick in the gut bass with acres of clarity. I know that a string of DR's fortified with a liberal dose of Titans will bring back the good old days....and I fully intend to play a part in that. Seems smart to me....less cabs, less wattage, more dB and better sound for fewer dollars = happier producers, happier bands and happier fans! Just for grins, I recently attended Mayem Fest at the Midwest Bank Ampitheater in Tinley Park IL....worst sounding facility in the universe only made worse by dreadful application of audio system...line array per side as per current wisdom with baffle mount subs hung outboard of the full range arrays once again per current wisdom. Not one word, nor intelligable note was discernable. Dreadful. Sorry about spelling errors I am in a hurry :confused:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#25 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

mikeratliff wrote: I recently attended Mayem Fest at the Midwest Bank Ampitheater in Tinley Park IL....worst sounding facility in the universe only made worse by dreadful application of audio system...line array per side as per current wisdom with baffle mount subs hung outboard of the full range arrays once again per current wisdom. Not one word, nor intelligable note was discernable. Dreadful.
That has little to nothing to do with the gear. The best systems of 1977 pale in comparison to even fair to middling systems of today. What hasn't changed is that if you've got a hack in the FOH it's not going to sound good.