Car audio system

Anything not covered elsewhere.
C-RAD

Car audio system

#1 Post by C-RAD »

Hey y'all.

Despite the fact that I'm currently deep in the build process of 4 DR200's and probably 2 (or 4) T60's, I'm starting a car audio install. At least in my head.

I'd like any advice on configuration as I value the opinions of people on this forum over just about anywhere else!! :mrgreen:

So obviously there will be an autotuba or two. This is a given.

I'm thinking a 3-way active system using this (http://www.minidsp.com/index.php) as the dsp. If anyone knows of something better, simpler, etc please mention it.

The vehicle is a ford econoline 150, which will have a new Alpine or Pioneer deck (not chosen yet (can I get away with 2 Volt pre-outs, or should I play the extra $80 or so to get he 4- 5 volt?). Deck power to start, but I'll install my amp later on (4 channel).

I was going to just go with a component set, but I won't be happy if I can't tweak everything (like phase and TA), so I decided DSP is a necessity.

My questions are mostly about the midbass and tweeter options.

First of all, are "car audio drivers" necessary, or can I use 8 Ohm home or pro audio driver's that meet the requirements? I've heard car audio drivers are tougher - is this BS?

The aforementioned requirements being audiophile sound (or close), relatively inexpensive (no more than $250 for mid's and tweets), and the midbass driver should match up well with an autotuba and sound good in a (relatively small) sealed kickpod (do ported kickpods even exist?).

I'd like to go with silk dome tweeters.

I've heard good things about, Seas W18's, CDT's gold woofer's, Peerless SLS's, Eminence Alphalite 6A's, Tang Band W6...

I'm inclined to go with Tang Band just because Bill choose those as the upgraded option for the autotuba's. I've also had good experience with Vifa drivers at home.

Please advise with specific tweeter and woofer recommendations if possible!!

Cheers,
Conrad.
Got me lots to learn.

C-RAD

Re: Car audio system

#2 Post by C-RAD »

These seem to have a good reputation for sound, but the price is rather silly for a single 6 1/2" woofer.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1574/MW160GT ... eakers.htm
Got me lots to learn.

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

Become a member of http://www.diyma.com and post your question there. They will lead you in the right direction. Some of the most knowledgeable car audio guru's out there belong to that site. Plan on spending a lot of time reading. I am a car audio nut myself and regularly visit that site. Here are some older pictures of my system being put together. http://s769.photobucket.com/albums/xx33 ... rator/Car/ Yes it has an autotuba! and no the box doesn't take up too much space. I can still fit a 24 of beer on either side of it! :D
I currently use a behringer dcx2496 on an inverter for x-over/time alignment/parametric eq. Some headunits have built in dsp. Most amps have built in x-overs. Home audio drivers are used very successfully in car audio. The folks at diyma will help you get started.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

C-RAD

#4 Post by C-RAD »

Hey Corona,

Thanks for the reply! I had a look at your pic's and that looks like a pretty extensive build - nice fiberglass work!

I just found DIYMA yesterday and have been looking through it's rather extensive forum. I will continue in my hunt!
Got me lots to learn.

neverendingbeatz

#5 Post by neverendingbeatz »

First of all, go 4volts, its a big difference in sound level and clearness, less static. Personally, I've used all different dsp and processors, but nothing was as good as AudioControl Stuff. If you want audiophile quality, you have to spend money on your mids and highs. Get a quality one and you will never regret it. I recommend the MB Quartz or the Infinity Kappa if you wanna go cheaper. Get a dedicated 2way crossover like the audiocontrol 3XS, the one in your headunit won't cut it. And get a Audiocontrol EQX = equalizer. I would eq everything by ear if I were you. None of that digital stuff, not as precise. That's what I use to use when I use to compete back in the days and I always ranked top5 where ever I went.